Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume you’re talking about FSD Beta. Whenever you engage it, you can press the right scroll wheel left or right and select Minimize Lane Changes, which will help reduce (but not completely eliminate) unnecessary lane changes. Moving the scroll wheel will also change the following distance setting (Chill, Average, Aggressive), so you might need to adjust that too.
I always use MLC and I still get sudden lane change attempts that really get on my nerves. I would trade mine for a Zero Lane Changes option in a heartbeat. It has never once made a lane change that I would have wanted or done myself.

I start seeing this behavior since 11.4.2 for FSDb, on roads that have a turn lane opening, it may signals and then turn into it for no reason, often too late to cancel the turn, sometimes it quickly swerve back to the original lane, sometimes it doesn't, either way it shouldn't do that, no matter what mode or minimize turn is enabled. This reminds me couple of years ago NOA before FSDb - it always mistaken a turn lane as the route at certain location ... Just be careful with this behavior, if it turns into a very short turn lane at 55mph, you only have couple of seconds to correct.
Exactly my experience.. at 55mph that 100 feet or so of left turn lane came and ended in seconds... thankfully the car braked before i could realize what had happened, i just needed to steer away from the median and ended in a slight ditch, but better than a cement curb..

I've never seen it ask me anything after disengaging.. or i may have missed it.. can you elaborate. Thanks
When disengaging FSD beta, a message will appear in the bottom left of the screen that invites feedback. Click the right roller wheel on the steering wheel to start an audio recording of that feedback and click it again to end the message. The messages are limited in duration to about 10 seconds.

Without warning, car enters the left turn lane for no reason then slams on brake as road disappears in front of me.. i was able to take over and maneuver to avoid the median..
My car has been doing this stupid lane change nonesense for the past two weeks. I'm still on 11.3.6. Luckily there were no stupid lane change attempts today. Maybe the madness has passed.

I assumed this was a known bug since 11.3.6 (currently 11.4.2), but I've had FSDb absolutely dive into lanes that open up on both the left and the right, even with minimize set to on.

Went on a 5,000 mile road trip in May and in Wisconsin, there were these short 100 ft right lanes that would open up to allow traffic to go around someone waiting to turn left on a county road. It would dive into those about half the time (with no one there, obviously). On the left side, it would immediately merge into HOV lanes every time one opened up.

It's so sudden, that you would know the difference between that and a normal lane change. It's immediate, with zero time to cancel with the stalk. It was so jarring I can't even remember if it used the signal or not. There aren't many of those opening lane situations back home, so I haven't been able to observe that behavior in a few weeks.

Reactions: Docpaulo
I followed an S one time on a 2 lane highway, 55mph limit. He really seemed to be on FSD of some flavor, as the car would signal once and swerve into every right turn lane (there's one about every 1/4-1/2 a mile for all the side roads). Did it at least 8 times in a row. Driver was pretty quick to jerk back into the correct lane.

I was following him on AP and it was fine, never flinched. This was about 4 months ago, no idea which versions of anything then. Just interesting to watch.

I assumed this was a known bug since 11.3.6 (currently 11.4.2), but I've had FSDb absolutely dive into lanes that open up on both the left and the right, even with minimize set to on.

Went on a 5,000 mile road trip in May and in Wisconsin, there were these short 100 ft right lanes that would open up to allow traffic to go around someone waiting to turn left on a county road. It would dive into those about half the time (with no one there, obviously). On the left side, it would immediately merge into HOV lanes every time one opened up.

It's so sudden, that you would know the difference between that and a normal lane change. It's immediate, with zero time to cancel with the stalk. It was so jarring I can't even remember if it used the signal or not. There aren't many of those opening lane situations back home, so I haven't been able to observe that behavior in a few weeks.

The car is trying to make a turn. It's not FSD, because it happens just as much with no destination stated. It's been doing this for many months and the car will decide it needs to make a turn and then decide that it was wrong. I've seen it much more prevalent near old construction zones where the map's road segments are probably discontinuous.

Reactions: Docpaulo
With FSDb 11.4.4, I find my car occasionally moving into a left turn lane in the middle of a block. Usually, it swerves right back into the correct lane - presumably when it sees that the lane does not continue on. This is an old defect that has reappeared in 11.4 with the lane selection "improvements". Perhaps a neural network replaced some old procedural code and needs to watch a few more training videos.

I expect Tesla is getting plenty of "safety critical" disengagement videos on this.
I'm definitely experiencing the same issue as OP since 11.4. This was a non issue in 11.3.6.

I disengage and send a message every time, but who knows how this information is used.

The car is trying to make a turn. It's not FSD, because it happens just as much with no destination stated. It's been doing this for many months and the car will decide it needs to make a turn and then decide that it was wrong. I've seen it much more prevalent near old construction zones where the map's road segments are probably discontinuous.
It happens with FSDb with destination set, it never do that in 11.3.x on the exact same route and destination. Though I have seen without destination, it always try to turn in the same location. Something definitely changed in 11.4.2+ ..

Reactions: zoomer0056
When disengaging FSD beta, a message will appear in the bottom left of the screen that invites feedback. Click the right roller wheel on the steering wheel to start an audio recording of that feedback and click it again to end the message. The messages are limited in duration to about 10 seconds.

Thanks.. in all cases, if i disengaged I'm too busy taking over i don't look down to see any messages... I'll try playing with it next time (intentional disengage)

Thanks.. in all cases, if i disengaged I'm too busy taking over i don't look down to see any messages... I'll try playing with it next time (intentional disengage)

I'm the same, if I'm correcting the car, I don't have time to be reading the screen, I need to double check I can safely make the correction without hitting anyone, for instance, the car that was following me who has now sped up and moved into my blind spot because it assumes I'm exiting because the car signaled and moved into a right turn lane.

And for those asking what the car 'says' when it does those changes, again I have no effin clue. For those of us who do not drive on FSDb by reading the screen 100% of the time but by watching the road ahead to be prepared for the car's next eff-up, I wish there was an audio mode to read us WTF the car is saying it thinks it is doing.

It happens that on my drive the other night, the car didn't give any indication of why it was moving. The passenger was looking at the screen when the car tried to move over the second time.

• Love
Reactions: Y_so_Blue and Genie
Once you get used to driving with FSD, a turn like this becomes a well-practiced process and instead of panic, it becomes more of an arrggh thing, like dodging debris in the road.

Basically, when you disengage, the banner will appear in the bottom left, hit the same button that you do for texts, speak what happened and then press again.

Basically, when you disengage, the banner will appear in the bottom left, hit the same button that you do for texts, speak what happened and then press agagain.
During today's 300 mile drive i intentionally and unintentionally disengaged fsd and took over...

Never got any message.. after each event...

This may be limited to certain years or certain people?

I have a 2020mslr+ I've had for about 6 weeks that came with fsd

During today's 300 mile drive i intentionally and unintentionally disengaged fsd and took over...

Never got any message.. after each event...

This may be limited to certain years or certain people?

I have a 2020mslr+ I've had for about 6 weeks that came with fsd
It may be dependent on the computer, but I would have thought that a 2020 would have it and be up to date on software. Do you have software from this year or last?

I've had a couple of drives on 11.4.4. My car stick wants to turn on to side streets or entrances into developments WAY too much. It still likes to slow down a lot when going down a road with no reason to slow down. Today it wanted to stop for a green light. I've been disengaging because of the traffic behind me. The driving is smoother but it is still scary to drive when I have 5 disengagements on a 7 mile drive. Oh yes, it decided to ignore the closed gate going into my development. It would have slammed into if I didn't hit the brakes hard. Some prior versions know enough to slow down or stop rather than hit the gate. My rating is one step forward 4 steps back.

Reactions: Docpaulo and Genie
I've had a couple of drives on 11.4.4. My car stick wants to turn on to side streets or entrances into developments WAY too much. It still likes to slow down a lot when going down a road with no reason to slow down. Today it wanted to stop for a green light. I've been disengaging because of the traffic behind me. The driving is smoother but it is still scary to drive when I have 5 disengagements on a 7 mile drive. Oh yes, it decided to ignore the closed gate going into my development. It would have slammed into if I didn't hit the brakes hard. Some prior versions know enough to slow down or stop rather than hit the gate. My rating is one step forward 4 steps back.
As a beta tester I hope you are sending feedback for each disengagement.