Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forward collision warning setting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gottagofast

2022 Model 3 Performance
Jan 28, 2024
USA
If I put this setting on late instead of standard will that stop the car from slamming on brakes when a car 500 feet away turns in front me while I’m using cruise control?

If that doesn’t stop it is there another way?

If I put this setting on late instead of standard will that stop the car from slamming on brakes when a car 500 feet away turns in front me while I’m using cruise control?

FCW is a visual alert and a loud warning tone to let you know that AEB may be engaged if you don't brake. If you don't do anything, AEB can engage which won't prevent the collision, just help mitigate it.

What you're experiencing is AutoPilot (AP) behavior. Unfortunately, AP code is a little long in the tooth, and the new FSD Beta code, which has replaced the older AP code, handles cut-ins and cut-outs much more smoothly.

At this point, you can either subscribe to FSD so that you can get on FSD Beta, or accept the behavior for now and wait until Tesla replaces the older AP code with FSD Beta code for freeway/highway use. We don't know when that will happen.

FCW is a visual alert and a loud warning tone to let you know that AEB may be engaged if you don't brake. If you don't do anything, AEB can engage which won't prevent the collision, just help mitigate it.

What you're experiencing is AutoPilot (AP) behavior. Unfortunately, AP code is a little long in the tooth, and the new FSD Beta code, which has replaced the older AP code, handles cut-ins and cut-outs much more smoothly.

At this point, you can either subscribe to FSD so that you can get on FSD Beta, or accept the behavior for now and wait until Tesla replaces the older AP code with FSD Beta code for freeway/highway use. We don't know when that will happen.
FSD 12 fixed the brake slamming in both standard cruise control and AP? I hope I get it soon

What version of FSD Beta are you running? In the Settings -> Autopilot screen, you should see three boxes at the top - TACC, AP, and FSD Beta. If you see those, which box is enabled?
I’m not using FSD atm I’ve been trying the standard cruise control

Attachments

• IMG_0330.jpeg
    IMG_0330.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Can you provide a better description of this event. Describe the "slamming on the brakes" scenario. 500 feet is quit aways away but is shorter in time if your speed is high.

"slamming on brakes when a car 500 feet away turns in front me while I’m using cruise control"

Does it involve your car making lots of very loud alarm tones? If not, this has absolutely nothing to do with forward collision warning.

If you are confident that a car will cross in front of you safely and suspect the car will not be confident, you press the accelerator.

There's sections in the Owner's manual for both Forward Collision Warning and Automatic Emergency Braking. Something I noted at the bottom of the second screen capture below is that AEB is enabled each time you start the car. If you don't want it, it must be disabled at the start of each drive. If it slows because of a car, it's supposed to.

But I don't think those features are your problem. What you describe is probably phantom braking. You just gotta deal with it by pressing the accelerator. Also note when it happens so you can anticipate it. For example, the car will often slow when it's approaching the crest as you go towards the top of a hill.
1000026942.jpg
1000026944.jpg

"slamming on brakes when a car 500 feet away turns in front me while I’m using cruise control"

Does it involve your car making lots of very loud alarm tones? If not, this has absolutely nothing to do with forward collision warning.

If you are confident that a car will cross in front of you safely and suspect the car will not be confident, you press the accelerator.
So if I just slightly press the accelerator it will stop it from braking when someone turns in front of me?

The car probably did need to slow down though just not as much as it did, like I needed to slow down 5-10 mph not 35 mph like it did, I was going 60 and hit brakes all the way to 35 mph while slowing down to 55-50 would have been plenty

I've learned to cover the accelerator on FSD anytime I see a car about to cross my path, pull into the roadway or a car head slows to make a turn. After a while, you don't think twice about it. Even a little bit of accelerator stops the brake application.

I’m not using FSD atm I’ve been trying the standard cruise control
Got it - go into Settings - Autopilot and enable FSD Beta at the top. Read the agreement and then confirm it. You'll be using the new code, with a thick blue tentacle when engaged. I recommend setting Minimize Lane Changes (MLC) each time you get into the car, and if you don't put a destination in navigation, it will act pretty much like AP - keep you in your lane and at the set speed. You'll notice that cut-ins and cut-outs are much smoother.