Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm the same, if I'm correcting the car, I don't have time to be reading the screen, I need to double check I can safely make the correction without hitting anyone, for instance, the car that was following me who has now sped up and moved into my blind spot because it assumes I'm exiting because the car signaled and moved into a right turn lane.

And for those asking what the car 'says' when it does those changes, again I have no effin clue. For those of us who do not drive on FSDb by reading the screen 100% of the time but by watching the road ahead to be prepared for the car's next eff-up, I wish there was an audio mode to read us WTF the car is saying it thinks it is doing.

It happens that on my drive the other night, the car didn't give any indication of why it was moving. The passenger was looking at the screen when the car tried to move over the second time.
It’s not that hard, certainly no more difficult than reading the speed or looking at the nav.
As I’ve posted in other threads, I’ve been driving with FSD for quite a while now and not once have I allowed FSD to unintentionally leave our travel lane, so the chances of another car being in the blind spot are zero.

Its so stupid. I am on a single lane road for 6 miles. There is no car infront of me. It decides to change to a right lane (right lane turn onto neighborhood entrance). Realize, it needs going to straight, then slam on the brake, then turn left signal on to merge back. Don't think SW team is doing anything.

Reactions: Docpaulo
Its so stupid. I am on a single lane road for 6 miles. There is no car in front of me. It decides to change to a right lane (right lane turn onto neighborhood entrance). Realize, it needs going to straight, then slam on the brake, then turn left signal on to merge back. Don't think SW team is doing anything.
I am much happier (and maybe safer) without FSD here in rural New Mexico. I use Autopilot a lot. It works well. It's this lane change nonsense and navigation stuff that's screwed up here.

But I think the FSD software team is hard at work. Their goal is to use neural nets end to end for version 12. One area they are working on is to better integrate driving with navigation. ISTM lane change logic falls smack dab in the middle of this. My guess is this lane change regression is due to their work in this area (sort of like road construction). One step back and two steps forward. For example if the bug is in their hard-coded logic then they are unlikely to try to fix it until after they convert this part to neural nets because work on the hard-coded logic will be thrown away with the transition to neural nets.

Its so stupid. I am on a single lane road for 6 miles. There is no car infront of me. It decides to change to a right lane (right lane turn onto neighborhood entrance). Realize, it needs going to straight, then slam on the brake, then turn left signal on to merge back. Don't think SW team is doing anything.
Exactly what happened to me.. simple rule to stay on same lane unless on an exit would fix it

Once you get used to driving with FSD, a turn like this becomes a well-practiced process and instead of panic, it becomes more of an arrggh thing, like dodging debris in the road.

Basically, when you disengage, the banner will appear in the bottom left, hit the same button that you do for texts, speak what happened and then press again.
I’ve been sending feedback for disengagements, but in one disengagement it decided to try to turn left from a center turn lane in front of a garbage truck after having sat in that lane while it was actually clear. I definitely didn’t have time to look at the screen to see what it was thinking.

My spouse’s response though is no more left turns for FSD

I was driving today on a slight dow hill, 2 lane divided highway, i was on the inner fast lane.. 55mph

A short 3rd lane appears on my left, for a left turn only through the highway divider

Without warning, car enters the left turn lane for no reason then slams on brake as road disappears in front of me.. i was able to take over and maneuver to avoid the median..

There were no vehicles ahead of me but some behind me. There was no clear reason why it switched lanes as there was no one to pass and my route was straight for 5 miles until i needed to turn left...

I was holding the wheel and paying attention but it still caught me offguard...

Somehow car makes poor lane changing decisions... hope they fix this...

They should allow us to disable all lane changes except to exit or turn...
I had a similar experience today, 2 lanes on my side, I have another mile or so before any turns, 3rd lane appears as a SHORT right turn lane, car moves into it without really slowing down, it seemed that it would hit the curb on the other side of the cross-street since it was going too fast to turn. I took over and pulled it back into the proper lane. Seemed like a basic mistake but I'm sure it's more complicated that I realize.

Reactions: T3M3T
Even though this is a different scenario than the OP, instead of posting a new thread, I'll post it here. Yesterday, I was almost rear ended in my car running 11.4.4.

On a freeway on-ramp with signals, the 2 cars in front of me both decided to run the red light, so the car since it tends to follow the lead car(s), seemed determined to blow through the red light as well and approached the light at full speed, then once it got close to the light (the lights are angled so the car may not have seen them clearly enough to register until late) then braked fairly hard. There was a truck behind me who seemed determined to follow and run the red light as well who had to swerve to their right to avoid hitting me. I edited together this short clip but the critical moment was when the dashcam switched from 1 clip to another so that part is cut off.

To be fair, I think the truck driver is more at fault here but my car should have slowed down for the red light earlier and in a more gradual manner.

I've just got FSDb 11.44.4 a few days ago. 2023 MYP HW4. I've tried it a couple of times, and generally it does great on freeways, very suspect on city streets.

What's getting me worried is when it suddenly disengages, but cruise control is still working to keep the speed up.

Last night I tried letting FSD drive me home 25 miles. Started out fine on a 3-block long city street where I stopped to turn left at a stop sign. Car stopped, began to move forward to do the left turn, but a car was coming from the left, and FSD disengaged just as it was about to either pull out in front of a car, or suddenly stop. Instead, it told me to take over, but kept driving forward into the path of the oncoming car. I immediately had to brake. This just doesn't seem safe, though perhaps the car would have last-second jammed on the brakes. After that FSD kept disengaging for the next 2-3 blocks, then started working well as I got near a freeway. It correctly entered the freeway and drove the next 25 miles just fine, disengaging again on a problem stretch 3 blocks from my house.

I read about 'zero disengagement drives', and that seems a distant dream where I live, but FSD looks really really good on the freeways. At least until you hit a construction zone where the car may (or may not) drop to a new speed limit while all the other cars are blowing through with speeds unchanged.

What happens when FSD disengages itself? Sounds like it was still driving forward, like a partial disengagement. I don't have FSD so I don't know.
I'm a newb to Tesla, so take this with a grain of salt as I've only had the car 999 miles. My experience with both Autopilot and FSDbeta is that once it disengages, it simply drops to Traffic Aware Cruise Control. I've now noticed a little warning when it does that, at least I noticed it once, that 'speed will not be reduced in TWCC'. So - if it gets confused, it just keeps going. You really do need to be able to instantly take over. On the other hand, you also learn when/where it's not likely to work and I suspect simply won't engage it then, or will expect to be taking over. For instance, on my little 3 block section of Slide Rock Road, I have a) no painted lane lines, b) curves, c) tar snakes parallel to direction of travel, d) extremely hot temperatures (Phoenix, summer, 110F+ for many days this year), and e) extremely bright lighting (afternoon, Phoenix). All of those (except the tar snakes) are listed in the FSD instructions/warnings that they compromise FSD. On the other hand, it's really been good on highways with nice, white lane lines. I let FSD drive me around some more today as a test, and again it did well on the freeway. I'm now learning how to override things (like accelerate and lane change) without disengaging.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056