Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic Garage Door Safety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I
Consider yourself luck, I already slammed the trunk and the trunk of my x into the door. Two giant battle scares on my car from the hinge

I have two nice scratches on my X3 hatch, one happened two weeks after I got it. Hatch opened on its own overnight and I didn't see it when I opened the garage the next morning. grrr. Otherwise I've used the hanging tennis ball method and have pool noodles cut in half and affixed to wall to prevent door hitting side wall.

Reactions: mattack4000
Pretty much the same

I

I have two nice scratches on my X3 hatch, one happened two weeks after I got it. Hatch opened on its own overnight and I didn't see it when I opened the garage the next morning. grrr. Otherwise I've used the hanging tennis ball method and have pool noodles cut in half and affixed to wall to prevent door hitting side wall.

Tesla has a $300 automatic garage door?
While the quality of materials and workmanship of their garage door is nice and all, I wouldn't buy it for the same reason I wouldn't buy their similarly priced car covers: I don't like the huge "TESLA" logo emblazoned on it. I don't want to attract vandals or thieves to target my house because they hate Tesla or think I'm wealthy. :rolleyes:;)

• Funny
Reactions: mspohr
Be very careful doing that this is from DAMSA an industry group:
To reduce the risk of severe injury or death, it is essential that photoelectric sensors be installed properly according to manufacturer's instructions.
Installation Height and Horizontal Location
The top of each photoelectric eye lens is to be installed no higher than six (6) inches above the garage floor. If installation is above six (6) inches, the photoelectric eyes may not detect what they are intended to protect, an individual lying down on the garage floor under the descending door.
How do you install two sets of sensors? One for under 6 inches and one at car height and stop on either triggering?

Reactions: Akikiki
Yeah, it's crazy that the garage door manufacturers only think we want to protect dead people and really stupid cats from getting squished by the door and that we really want to have our cars scratched and dented by the same door.

It's one reason why Tesla's $300 automatic garage door is an accident waiting to happen.
Tesla uses the standard Homelink transmitter like most other Homelink enabled cars do.
What does a standard Homelink transmitter have to do with the door coming down on a car? Homelink like a standard generic remote simply sends the signal to the garage door opener. Home link 4.0 and most remotes don't know if the door is open or closed, they simply send a signal. The receiver on the door responds opening or closing.

If you don't like it, then simply don't use it or an electric garage door opener.

Reactions: mspohr
We have tight front-to-back positioning. We use the low-tech tennis ball on a string technique, which is especially cool if you use an official Tesla tennis ball.
IMG_6039.JPG

Yeah, it's crazy that the garage door manufacturers only think we want to protect dead people and really stupid cats from getting squished by the door and that we really want to have our cars scratched and dented by the same door.

It's one reason why Tesla's $300 automatic garage door is an accident waiting to happen.
My tm3 has the home link installed but I don’t have automatic open and close.