Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will it cover a sunset painted on a side of truck, and the vision system depth estimation making a mistake and plowing through the truck? The point being made is there is an infinite number of adversarial cases that can exist and simulation isn't going to cover them all.

Simulation cannot entirely replace real-world testing. I don't think anybody here is arguing that it could. Simulation can and does speed up development by trying out scenarios and finding things that seem to work and other things that don't work. Aircraft design has been employing simulation for decades, and the result is safer, quieter, and more efficient airplanes. Real-world testing helps to validate the simulations, and real-world testing of proposed designs can come much earlier than if simulation were not available.

On robotaxis, one of the videos above made me think of a serious drawback: A taxi or Lyft driver always lifts my suitcase into the trunk for me. With a robotaxi there's nobody but me and my bad back. Of course, with my own car, there's just me also. But still...

On robotaxis, one of the videos above made me think of a serious drawback: A taxi or Lyft driver always lifts my suitcase into the trunk for me. With a robotaxi there's nobody but me and my bad back. Of course, with my own car, there's just me also. But still...

I am sure they could install something to help with that. You could install some type of robotic lift that would automatically raise your suitcase and move it into the car for you.

Lidar integration that doesn't ruin the esthetic of a car. The new Lexus LS500 with Stereo front camera, Long range front radar, 4 x corner radars, Long range front lidar, 2 x short range side lidars (fender), Rear short range lidar, 4 x surround cameras, 12 x USS.
rg8RDbX.png

Es0XCQm.png

ejDXAkq.png

JFIYXcA.png

Lidar washer
m00HdjH.jpg

Lidar integration that doesn't ruin the esthetic of a car.
rg8RDbX.png

Es0XCQm.png

ejDXAkq.png

JFIYXcA.png

Lidar washer
m00HdjH.jpg

Yes. there is no doubt that affordable lidar that does not ruin the aesthetic of the car, is coming to luxury cars very soon.

I also like the lidar washer to keep the lidar clean.

EDIT: I answered my own question. It looks like the lidar equipped LS500 car is the 2021 model and will have Lexus' Teammate system with the following features:

Lexus Teammate

Advanced Drive
The latest advanced driving assist technologies based on the Mobility Teammate Concept enable onboard systems for driver status monitoring to appropriately assist the driver in recognition, judgment, and operation, in accordance with actual traffic conditions. Driving capabilities such as keeping the vehicle in its lane, maintaining vehicle-to-vehicle distance, lane splits, changing lanes, and overtaking other vehicles, when driving on expressways and other motor-vehicle-only roadways are supported. In pursuit of achieving system-conducted driving that can be trusted by the driver, fundamental vehicle performance was honed so that the driver would feel secure in leaving driving to the vehicle, and the system was engineered to prioritize safety in making judgments. The driver is freed from operation of the accelerator, brakes, and steering, allowing a reduction in driver burden during long drives and enabling safe driving in which the driver is able to pay better attention to the surroundings.

Advanced Park
Through integrated cameras and ultrasonic sensors, the latest advanced parking assist technologies support the driver in recognition, judgment, and operation. Besides support of all operations - steering, acceleration, braking, and gear changes - the bird's-eye view display also shows the ideal steering wheel positions for a safe and secure parking experience.

At CES 2019, Lexus showed off a LS500 with full autonomy hardware:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Bitdepth
I am sure they could install something to help with that. You could install some type of robotic lift that would automatically raise your suitcase and move it into the car for you.

I hope to see this unfold out of the car:

Not exactly the same thing, but a few years ago, I was at the 2nd DARPA robotics challenge, where part of the competition was to have a humanoidish robots drive a small cart before getting out and performing various "emergency tasks."

Reactions: diplomat33
Full unedited video of a WeRide self-driving taxi ride in China from March 2020:

The video gives us a nice view of the screen, the safety driver and what the car does for the entire ride. We also see that WeRide is accepting paying customers. There is a safety driver but they never intervene. The car handles the 10 minute ride in the city completely autonomously.

Full unedited video of a WeRide self-driving taxi ride in China from March 2020:

The video gives us a nice view of the screen, the safety driver and what the car does for the entire ride. We also see that WeRide is accepting paying customers. There is a safety driver but they never intervene. The car handles the 10 minute ride in the city completely autonomously.

It's got to get extremely tiring holding your hands right there all day long. Good news, though, that they can do this.

Would Tesla owners be obliged to buy and fit one though? I mean in many jurisdictions there are laws requiring commercial services to cater to people with disabilities.

Would Tesla owners be obliged to buy and fit one though? I mean in many jurisdictions there are laws requiring commercial services to cater to people with disabilities.

I imagine if a Tesla owner were using their personal car as a commercial robotaxi, they would be required to comply with the American Disabilities Act. But perhaps Tesla would do something to help like offer a refit at service centers.

Reactions: 1 person
I imagine if a Tesla owner were using their personal car as a commercial robotaxi, they would be required to comply with the American Disabilities Act. But perhaps Tesla would do something to help like offer a refit at service centers.

Does Uber and Lift do the same? I suppose one could argue the driver can help a passenger get into the car. On the other hand, if the robotaxi is owned by a driver, then it could be considered a small business, which doesn't necessarily need to comply with the ADA, having fewer than 15 employees. I would expect Tesla owned robotaxies, on the other hand, would have to comply.

Now I'm pondering, what happens if I build up a robotaxi empire with 1000 Model 3s, and keep maybe 10 employees for maintenance and other administrative stuff. Should I still be exempt from the ADA, even though I'm providing the service of a much larger taxi company that would usually have many more employees? In other words, should robots be considered employees for the purposes of the ADA?

Last edited:
Does Uber and Lift do the same? I suppose one could argue the driver can help a passenger get into the car. On the other hand, if the robotaxi is owned by a driver, then it could be considered a small business, which doesn't necessarily need to comply with the ADA, having fewer than 15 employees. I would expect Tesla owned robotaxies, on the other hand, would have to comply.

Good point. It depends who is the owner of the robotaxi.

And of course, if there is a safety driver, they can help the passenger. It gets tricky with a driverless robotaxi where there is nobody to assist the passenger. I think with a driverless robotaxi, some changes would have to be done to help passengers with disabilities. Otherwise, passengers with disabilities would be discriminated against from using the service.

This might interest some of you.

Voyage which is offering a robotaxi service in The Villages, FL just posted about their remote operator system called Telessist. It allows the remote operator to monitor what the robotaxi sees, give instructions to the robotaxi if it gets in trouble or even completely remotely drive the robotaxi if need be.

Read more about it here: Introducing Voyage Telessist

One of the screens that the remote operator sees:

1*Jceo_Mn2-RMPnvjX9yE8fQ.png

The remote operator pod:

1*9uMRkhWD5wWlM6djdcWAOQ.jpeg

Kinda funny that the Telessist Pod is on wheels, like the remote operator needs to go somewhere. LOL.