Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Revisiting the Indicator light needed for Autonomous driving! We need an external light!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
>> We need an external light !

This remind me when drivers were putting an AAA sticker on their car bumper.

So what wass the point of doing it?

A joke was that other drivers will know that AAA will paid for their car's damages.
So drivers who needed a new fender always tried to have a collision with such AAA covered car!!!

I imagine that cars using a flashing light alerting for an Autonomous Driving car, will receive a lot of digs !!! LoL.
Idiot pedestrians already "test" Waymo and Cruise vehicles by acting like they're going to run out in front of them. Put a flashing pizza sign on your Tesla and you can experience the same thing.

When it is activated you are NOT in control.

Yes, you are, thats the point that you seem to want to keep ignoring. You ARE in control, you ARE liable. This is no different than using cruise control and barreling into the back of someone.

You are advocating for a light / indicator saying you are not in control, when you are. This just appears to be another thread to "have a discussion" because you keep ignoring the real fact that you are in control, thus an indicator that says "im not in control" would be a lie.

Maybe a "student driver" bumper sticker would work as well? Or I think some have made "autonomous vehicle" bumper stickers?

I like the idea if some chose to go that way but doubt I'd want to use it, at least as a government mandated control.
Those are generally not readable unless someone has gotten too close to your bumper. And most people won't understand what they mean any more than I can figure out the personalized license plate that reads, SD4WLQ.

Yes, you are, thats the point that you seem to want to keep ignoring. You ARE in control, you ARE liable. This is no different than using cruise control and barreling into the back of someone.

You are advocating for a light / indicator saying you are not in control, when you are. This just appears to be another thread to "have a discussion" because you keep ignoring the real fact that you are in control, thus an indicator that says "im not in control" would be a lie.
Apparently the OP does not feel like he is really in control. If so, he may need a flashing pizza sign to warn others.

Any autonomy system that can steer the car should have some indication of that fact. This is the same as having a "Student Driver" bumper sticker on a car - it lets other drivers know that they should expect the unexpected, and to use a little extra caution around that car.

The indicator is most important for flawed autonomy systems. Once those systems are up to Level 4 and 5 there's really not much point in telling other drivers anything because there's nothing to be aware of; the car is going to drive perfectly well. At that point, we should start putting transponders on cars that don't have high levels of autonomy so that our autonomous cars can be forewarned about them.
Exactly, similar to my previous statement. At level 5 it would not be needed and also when it's more widespread. At this beta incomplete level 3-4 ish there is a benefit to having it. In 50 years probably
What indicator do you use when you turn on TACC? AP? NOA? Maybe you don't use any of these (flawed) autonomy systems. But, if you do, please let us know how you warn the unsuspecting public.

Quite a bit different those things.

So happy to see so many close mindedness responses instead of a great discussion. Disappointed, expected better.

It is a good point about other drivers making you a target or even pedestrians trying things out. Although I believe it's more a new fad and at level 4 you will still be behind the wheel.

In regards to regular cruise etc, those are much less invasive in driving. Not all situations are the same and can be treated the same.

I get what you're saying but I'd vote no - we don't need one nor would I ever use one if it were invented. It's not a problem that needs solving.
I feel like most would agree with this. Even the people who use bumper stickers (which is ridiculous to me) wouldn't likely use it unless the "light" said Full Self Driving activated or something. That's not going to happen from Tesla.

People are free to create their own light to switch on that plugs into the 12v in the back.

I wonder if such light would be confusing people
thinking this was a "For Hire" light like the Taxi in London?

London Taxi - Orange Light .jpg

Even more confusing is the light turn blue when hired....
just wanted to highlight this mostly unknown feature (pardon the pun).

London Taxi - Blue Light .jpeg

I wonder if such light would be confusing people
thinking this was a "For Hire" light like the Taxi in London?

View attachment 954059

Even more confusing is the light turn blue when hired....
just wanted to highlight this mostly unknown feature (pardon the pun).

View attachment 954058
Turn on your emergency flashers if you want to convey the message that you do not have full control of the vehicle. That's what they're for. It costs nothing and EVERYONE knows what they mean. Any other flashing light is probably against the law in many states - especially if it's red or blue. Unless, of course, you're using a self driving police car.

On a lark, I tried this and FSDb is perfectly happy to operate while your emergency flashers are on. So, there you have it.

How about when one uses Summon in a parking lot? (I kinda doubt anyone really does). I can imagine frightened shoppers rolling shopping carts in front of the driverless car that is rolling on its own.

But I’ll go on record as being against any FSD warning lights.

Reactions: ALSETJC
The car is pretty chaotic while on AP, which is what im assuming OP is referring to.
I absolutely love using it, but refuse to when in mid speed traffic situations. I even am reluctant sometimes in stop and go traffic as its braking and acceleration characteristics are just plain stupid.

I am against the light tho - makes no sense to me

Reactions: ALSETJC
One of those suction cup signs on a spring in the window that says "BEWARE! Hands Free Driver Aboard!" will alert others to give lots of room.
Very, very few people would have a clue what "Hands Free Driver" means. Likely think the driver has a birth defect or victim of an industrial accident. In either case, they might be impressed with how well the car maneuvers!

My aim while using FSDb is to avoid attention or look different than other drivers on the road. This would probably start inviting behavior like this:

www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/comments/14uiqnv/coning_a_driverless_car_forces_them_to_have_to_be/
I would like to think this is a fad with anything new imho. Once all are at level 5 and it's mainstream this won't happen as often. As people here responded we can turn it off, we are still in the driver's seat and it is only level 4 at best.

I know we don't want to stand out, I can see this would be the main reason people don't want a light. Regardless of if it communicates and improves the safety of everyone. Remember day time running lights ...... Only accepted when it became cool.

• Disagree
Reactions: zoomer0056
I would like to think this is a fad with anything new imho. Once all are at level 5 and it's mainstream this won't happen as often. As people here responded we can turn it off, we are still in the driver's seat and it is only level 4 at best.

I know we don't want to stand out, I can see this would be the main reason people don't want a light. Regardless of if it communicates and improves the safety of everyone. Remember day time running lights ...... Only accepted when it became cool.
I don’t remember ever thinking DRL were cool or not cool. I do remember experiencing it in other countries long before it was normal in the USA and thinking it made sense.

Anyhow, communication is key and I believe the more useful communication the better. I don’t see this as useful communication and possibly costly communication.

For example, European driving communication is much clearer and beneficial when it comes to where/when one might pass, hazard lights warning of an upcoming issue before you arrive, etc. But a light to signal I’m using cruise control, or to signal I’m sneezing, or to show I’ve had a hard day at work seems less useful and more costly.