Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and Jeff N
It looks like they will only operate at night. Can't exceed 30mph and avoid downtown

Correct. That is called the ODD. It's the set of conditions that the autonomous car is allowed to operate under. Remember that Cruise is legally liable for any accidents or problems (like blocking first responders). So Cruise is starting with more limitations in order to reduce risk. They will relax those limitations over time as they gain more experience.

You are a day late. We've already been discussing this since yesterday when the news first broke.

I congratulate Cruise on their milestone but I think some caveats are needed. Cruise's driverless service in SF is very limited so far. It is geofenced and limited to night time hours and speeds below 30 mph. This is a great first step. Now, Cruise needs to expand the ODD and expand the area.

I wish Cruise the best. I think the more successful robotaxi services we have, the better.

Knowing traffic in and around SF, something major needs to happen before 24/7 robo taxis become reality (IMO).

True, there is definitely more work to be done before robotaxis can handle all conditions 24/7 reliably. All robotaxis have some limitations in their ODD right now. That is what makes them L4. For example, Waymo's driverless in SF is geofenced. However, Waymo's driverless operates in day and night and at speeds up to 65 mph. So Waymo does not have the same night or low speed limitations that Cruise has. And Argo has geofenced driverless in Austin and Miami that also operates during the day. So, I hope Cruise is able to lift the night and low speed limitations soon.

• Informative
Reactions: voyager
Still funny how bad the media is at reporting. They received clearance to start the service. They have not yet started the service.

Cruise becomes the first paid driverless robotaxis in California

Reuters is reporting it correctly:

GM's Cruise wins first California permit to carry paying riders in driverless cars​

Also, it's not like Cruise got the permit but can't launch the service. The driverless service has been running for a while now, they just were not charging for the rides. Now they can. Cruise can just flip a switch and start charging.

Last edited:
Also, it's not like Cruise got the permit but can't launch the service. The driverless service has been running for a while now, they just were not charging for the rides. Now they can. Cruise can just flip a switch and start charging.
I'd like to see that "switch".

I'd like to think people here are a little bit more sophisticated than old country buffet diners who think everything is a switch ;)

• Funny
Reactions: diplomat33
I'd like to see that "switch".

I'm sure someone will share a screenshot of the charge confirmation screen on the app to make you happy. ;)

I'd like to think people here are a little bit more sophisticated than old country buffet diners who think everything is a switch ;)

Cruise has driverless robotaxis, a ride-hailing network and a ride-hailing app. It would likely just be a matter of updating the app to start accepting a fee. I don't think that would be hard to do for Cruise.

Cruise has driverless robotaxis, a ride-hailing network and a ride-hailing app. It would likely just be a matter of updating the app to start accepting a fee. I don't think that would be hard to do for Cruise.
Obviously its not hard - esp. compared to AV. But it isn't turning on a "switch" either.

Turning on a switch is when everything is ready to go and its just a config change. May be they are at that stay - but we don't know that.

Have they said cost per mile

No, not yet. But we will find out soon enough when the public starts sharing about their paid rides.

During GM Investor Day about 8 months ago, then Cruise CEO Dan Ammann, said that the Origin robotaxi will have a cost of about $1.50/mile during early scaling. But that number will likely be different for the Bolt robotaxi.

dI5Bjxt.png

Turning on a switch is when everything is ready to go and its just a config change. May be they are at that stay - but we don't know that.

Personally, I think they are likely at that point. I don't know it for a fact but it would make a lot of sense. For one, they would have started working on it before getting the permit so that they would be ready go to as soon as the permit got approved. And we know that the ride-hailing app is working. My guess is that the app is set up to charge, they just set the charge to $0 up to now. So they would just flip the config to charge per mile.

Personally, I think they are likely at that point. I don't know it for a fact but it would make a lot of sense. For one, they would have started working on it before getting the permit so that they would be ready go to as soon as the permit got approved. And we know that the ride-hailing app is working. My guess is that the app is set up to charge, they just set the charge to $0 up to now. So they would just flip the config to charge per mile.
Possible. Afterall the pricing would be very simple and not complicated like Uber.

Reactions: diplomat33