Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla will integrate Baidu "hd" maps into cars in China.

"On Monday, Baidu announced that Tesla vehicles in China will integrate Baidu Maps V.20 in May which features a 3D lane-level navigation capability directly integrated into vehicles."

View attachment 1040892
Other brands in China have long had this.
xmotors.jpg
FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

Basically it's the same as regular nav maps except it is 3D so it represents overpasses and such much better. I'm not sure however I would classify it as an "HD" map however (like the super detailed centimeter accurate maps some AVs use in the city and what Huawei was talking about abandoning). It's part of the reason why I pointed out in that thread that "HD map" needs to be defined more clearly. Baidu is behind the curve here and Tesla has been held back by choosing them as a vendor.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Tesla will integrate Baidu "hd" maps into cars in China.

It sounds like it is for navigation purposes, not necessarily for AP/FSD usage.

IT Home reported on April 22 that at the Baidu Apollo automotive intelligent product launch conference held this afternoon, the Baidu map V20 version was unveiled, and a total of four major versions were launched:

• Basic version: no customization, free upgrade;
  • 3D leading version: standard configuration for all smart cars, car navigation one step ahead of new forces;
  • 3D Flagship Edition: 8295 chip model top;
  • SR Intelligent Driving Edition: The top configuration of the high-end intelligent driving model in the city.
At the same time, he also announced that Tesla's models in China will be equipped with Baidu Maps V20 for the first time in the 3D leading version, which will be pushed to new and old Tesla owners starting in May.
And they show how rendering them could look, with Tesla integrating the second from the left:
1713887090988.png

Last edited:
It sounds like it is for navigation purposes, not necessarily for AP/FSD usage.

And they show how rendering them could look, with Tesla integrating the second from the left:
View attachment 1040939
Yep, exactly like I said, it's basically just playing catch-up with AMAP which have long had this functionality for navigation purposes (also useful for NOA).

I'm not sure however I would classify it as an "HD" map however (like the super detailed centimeter accurate maps some AVs use in the city and what Huawei was talking about abandoning). It's part of the reason why I pointed out in that thread that "HD map" needs to be defined more clearly. Baidu is behind the curve here and Tesla has been held back by choosing them as a vendor.
Yeah, sure. That's why I put "hd"in quotes. There is not a clear definition of what an hd-map is afaik. To me, a "real" hd-map has centimeter res and semantic information about how to drive, maps lights to lanes etc.

Pony.AI seeks listing in the US, selling 98 million shares. Toyota and the saudis wants out, or they're just out of cash?

I found this episode of The Autonocast especially enjoyable:

Ghost autonomy, general EV market stuff... Tesla stuff from 28 min and onwards.

Thanks. The conversation about Cruise is informative. They discuss how the Cruise blog mentions they are going back to manual driving and mapping to make sure they have correct mapping info for things like stop signs. It sounds like Cruise is going all the back to basics and starting from scratch. This implies to me that the Cruise tech was never good.

Thanks. The conversation about Cruise is informative. They discuss how the Cruise blog mentions they are going back to manual driving and mapping to make sure they have correct mapping info for things like stop signs. It sounds like Cruise is going all the back to basics and starting from scratch. This implies to me that the Cruise tech was never good.
It's really hard to say as an outsider if this is a reboot on a tech level or just them trying to look responsible.

Reactions: diplomat33

DeepRoute.ai, the leading artificial intelligence company specializing in developing smart driving solutions, kicked off 2024 Beijing International Automotive Exhibition by debuting a brand new smart driving platform DeepRoute IO, highlighting end-to-end model and no dependency on high-definition maps. Empowered by DeepRoute IO platform, automakers will be able to deliver safer and more human-like smart driving experiences to consumers at a more accessible cost.
Equipped with 1 LiDAR, 11 cameras and one NVIDIA Orin SoC with 254 TOPs, the first mass-produced car excels in both assisted driving and automated parking. Leveraging standard navigation map, the vehicle achieves address-to-address navigation, maneuvering safely, efficiently and smoothly among the complex city and highway traffic scenarios. Initial projections indicate approximately 10,000 cars will enter consumer market, accumulating ever-growing data to further train and iterate the model for elevated smart driving experience.

NHTSA has initiated an investigation into Ford's BlueCruise.
The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) has received notice of two (2) incidents involving Ford Mustang Mach-E vehicles that collided with stationary vehicles, which were located within the travel lanes of controlled- access highways. Both collisions occurred during nighttime lighting conditions, and each incident resulted in at least one fatality. The incident reports received by NHTSA were submitted under Standing General Order 2021-01 (SGO). ODI’s initial investigation of both incidents confirmed that BlueCruise was engaged in each of the subject vehicles immediately prior to the collision.

Reactions: cwerdna and DanCar
Not autonomous driving but interesting news. NHTSA is now mandating AEB in all passenger cars and light trucks by Sept 2029.

Key Highlights
  • Mandatory AEB systems in new passenger cars and light trucks by 2029
  • Projected to save at least 360 lives and prevent around 24,000 injuries each year
  • Supports pedestrian detection during both day and night
  • Enhances vehicle capability to automatically apply brakes up to speeds of 90 mph for vehicles and 45 mph for pedestrians
More details:

The standard outlines that vehicles must have the capability to avoid collisions at speeds up to 62 miles per hour and detect pedestrians in low-light conditions. It is a significant part of the Department’s broader National Roadway Safety Strategy which also focuses on building safer infrastructure and promoting safer driving behaviors.

This move by the NHTSA aligns with provisions from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law that call for setting minimum performance standards for passenger vehicle equipment, specifically AEB systems. Furthermore, a Final Regulatory Impact Analysis accompanying the rule estimates the benefits and associated costs, all detailed in the Final Rule available on the Transportation.gov website.

In related efforts, NHTSA, together with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, is also advancing rules to require AEB systems in heavy vehicles like tractor trailers, aiming for a comprehensive upgrade in vehicle safety standards across various classes of vehicles.

Reactions: willow_hiller