Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I kind of like the Waymo design. It's still traditional car design compared to the Zoox and Origin.
cm1e-front-quarter-jpg-65429ff67b4ab.jpg
cm1e-doors-open-jpg-6542a6f1ca463.jpg

cm1e-interior-jpg-6542a3d5e7b75.jpg
Would be nice if the front seats could spin around for face-to-face interaction when desired.

Definition of redundant hardware for L3+ cars under SAE J3016. All the redundant hardware is tasked to do is enable the car to reach a safe state, it is not tasked with being an exact mirror such that the car can operate fully as if nothing happened if one node fails, as people keep suggesting is required.

You can see a similar idea discussed for Mercedes' L3 system:
Tesla and Elon Musk stated their system is fully redundant with redundant compute that is a mirror of itself. Of course they soon learned they didn't have enough compute so they pushed things unto the second node.

Mobileye says their system is designed with true redundancy as well whereby the camera system can fail and the car will be able to continue driving with just the lidar and radar system. And their L4+ ADS have 4+ separate compute nodes.

Waymo says they have a backup compute system to bring the car to safety if their main compute fails.

Zoox states their system can continue driving or bring the car to a safe stop depending on the type of failure. They have 4 wheel steering, dual battery setup. Not sure how redundant their compute is, as i can't find any information on that.

Essentially the manufacturer determines and defines how redundant their system is. SAE J3016 only states that if "A Level 4 ADS experiences a DDT performance-relevant system failure in one of its computing modules. The ADS transitions to DDT fallback by engaging a redundant computing module(s) to achieve a minimal risk condition."

Tesla and Elon Musk stated their system is fully redundant with redundant compute that is a mirror of itself. Of course they soon learned they didn't have enough compute so they pushed things unto the second node.

Mobileye says their system is designed with true redundancy as well whereby the camera system can fail and the car will be able to continue driving with just the lidar and radar system. And their L4+ ADS have 4+ separate compute nodes.

Waymo says they have a backup compute system to bring the car to safety if their main compute fails.

Zoox states their system can continue driving or bring the car to a safe stop depending on the type of failure. They have 4 wheel steering, dual battery setup. Not sure how redundant their compute is, as i can't find any information on that.

Essentially the manufacturer determines and defines how redundant their system is. SAE J3016 only states that if "A Level 4 ADS experiences a DDT performance-relevant system failure in one of its computing modules. The ADS transitions to DDT fallback by engaging a redundant computing module(s) to achieve a minimal risk condition."
And that's exactly my point, even though a Tesla initially implemented it as a mirror, as you point out, SAE J3016 only says the redundant node is tasked with achieving a minimal risk condition in an L4 vehicle. A mirror is one way to achieve that, but not the only way.

However, I've seen it suggested multiple times here by different people that it's impossible to achieve L3+ unless it is able to mirror, when that is not true at all.

Reactions: GSP
Sadly, twitter is dead and folks can't read the link without an account, so maybe just post a screen shot of their witty remark? That'd be really cool and heplful. :)
I'm not sure what you mean. I can open any of these Twitter links in a browser page, without being logged in. I just did it from that TMC post.

I used to do this regularly, as I had no Twitter account . I finally opened a Twitter->X account a few months ago, so now the default action on my phone is to try to open the app - but if I long-press the inserted link it still gives me the option to open as a web page. I can see the Twitter post in the browser even though I'm not logged in (it offers me buttons to create an account or to log in, but that doesn't get in the way of the non-member web page access).

I still often prefer to do it this way, because truthfully I still don't really understand "the way" of effectively navigating Twitter/X. I probably need to invest some time in a Twitter for Dummies tutorial, so I don't get hopelessly left behind when it becomes the Everything App. (If I have to be logged into X to shift my Tesla into Drive, I guess that will force the issue!)

I've tried repeatedly from fresh browser instances with no existing cached data or cookies, and all I get from Twitter/X is a demand to log in before it will show me anything. Given I don't and won't have an account there, I can't see those posts. Given the parameters I describe, pretty sure I'm not alone. Agreed of course that this used to be possible (seeing twitter posts without an account), but things are changing fast over there as Elon turns a $44B company into a $22B (or less) company. That particular adventure is a story for a different thread in a different forum, but it means twitter links are dead links for TMC forum members like me. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: nativewolf
I've tried repeatedly from fresh browser instances with no existing cached data or cookies, and all I get from Twitter/X is a demand to log in before it will show me anything. Given I don't and won't have an account there, I can't see those posts. Given the parameters I describe, pretty sure I'm not alone. Agreed of course that this used to be possible (seeing twitter posts without an account), but things are changing fast over there as Elon turns a $44B company into a $22B (or less) company. That particular adventure is a story for a different thread in a different forum, but it means twitter links are dead links for TMC forum members like me. 🤷‍♂️
Okay, I can't claim that you're not having a problem if you are.

Understand that this sidebar is off topic , but just for the record:
At the moment I'm using TMC on Chrome browser on my Samsung Galaxy Fold 5.
I do have the X app logged in. If I tap the link, yes it opens the X app in my account.
But if I long-press the "X" logo at the top right of the embedded link, I get a menu with nine options. The third option is "Open in incognito tab" which is the simplest way to bypass any cookies and simulate a non-X user. This section results in a new web page tab with the target X post and, as I said, buttons below it offering to have me login or join X if I want.

I just tested the same using Opera browser and using Edge browser on the phone. With minor nomenclature differences in the menu, I get the same results with both.

(For many websites on the phone/tablet, I actually prefer Opera because it alone supports width-justified text reflow when you pinch-zoom to enlarge the text. However, the TMC forum software behaves badly in other ways, for example text formatting tools seem to work only in Chrome.)​

• Informative
Reactions: Dracaris
I'm surprised Waymo and Cruise haven't set up automatic charging for their electric cars.

Closest thing to a standard for automatic electric vehicle charging are bus pantographs, but it's quite a bit of infrastructure compared to a lvl 2 charger and a minimum wage employee.

Frankly, I'm not sure why municipal transit orgs are going the pantograph route but nearly every one which has tested electric buses with hand plugs is going this direction. I suppose when you require a lvl 3 charger (450kwh over a 6 hour charge period) the overhead gantry allows for much much cheaper cabling which offsets that cost.

Also, those are owned by the local power company. 300 buses x 450kwh over ~6 hours rapidly becomes a power company concern rather than a transit operator concern. The transit authority will be paying a flat fee per year per vehicle.

Last edited:
Sadly, twitter is dead and folks can't read the link without an account, so maybe just post a screen shot of their witty remark? That'd be really cool and heplful. :)
I've never had an account. For a short period I couldn't read any linked Tweets, now I can read the linked Tweet itself but no replies to it. Annoyingly both linked and embedded Tweets now take 20 seconds or so to load. They used to be instantaneous.

Here is video showcasing some of Ghost's work on MMLLMs (multi-modal large language model) for AVs. It shows the MMLLM reasoning really well on how to handle various driving scenarios. It is pretty cool to see the AI understand how to handle these cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dracaris