Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad someone else has the same problem as me.

Can we get a fix for this, I prefer the old way.
I've contacted Tesla support about it with video footage. But I doubt they will do much. Maybe raise the issue too. Problem is that everyone I speak to about it says "I rarely parallel park" so I don't think it's an issue that's going to impact enough people to get it fixed quickly. So the more complaints the better haha

My experience with vision AP is that it is still very bad at spotting perpendicular spaces. It rarely finds them. However....

It's MUCH improved once you put the car into reverse. If you line your car up to back in, like you normally do, the parking option pops on the screen. It does this very consistently. It also seems a lot faster and "confident" once it starts the auto park.

Two caveats: 1) The lines need to be visible. If the parking lot hasn't re-striped the lines in awhile, the car will have trouble spotting them. 2) Some parking lots have sections with parking stripes that are shorter than normal, probably to squeeze in more spaces. Many times, the car can't find those either.

I've contacted Tesla support about it with video footage. But I doubt they will do much. Maybe raise the issue too. Problem is that everyone I speak to about it says "I rarely parallel park" so I don't think it's an issue that's going to impact enough people to get it fixed quickly. So the more complaints the better haha
And it only rains occasionally, so no need to fix the wipers either…

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
I recently updated to 2021.44.6 which, in the UK, introduced Vision Autopark - it now detects lines for perpendicular parking with cameras etc. However I've noticed that the parallel parking is SIGNIFICANTLY worse for me. It turns in too late now and turns in at a Sharp angle needing 5-6 manoeuvres to park. Previously, it would get into the space mostly in one smooth manoeuvre and do an adjustment to centre. If it was a tight space there would be a couple of further adjustments. But since the update it is terrible and often brakes suddenly during the process.

Anyone else had similar issues? And if so, have you been able to resolve it in any way? E.g. Do cameras need recalibration or something?
This is the kind of thing that (to me) points to bad processes in the sw development at T. When someone spends a lot of time improving the quality of a feature, say parallel parking, where are the test cases that locks that bar in? Every build should run again these tests and they should see “hey change xyz” made parallel parking worse. It should be in different levels of virtual environments and finally at the end you have humans double checking stuff before shipping. It feels like they have very little in the way of test cases to hold the quality bar up on many aspects of the car. Eg ‘I installed build xyz and did you notice blah is bursted or worse?’

Sure things get through the gaps, but you open work items on those things and insist that those gaps get filled.

This is the kind of thing that (to me) points to bad processes in the sw development at T. When someone spends a lot of time improving the quality of a feature, say parallel parking, where are the test cases that locks that bar in? Every build should run again these tests and they should see “hey change xyz” made parallel parking worse. It should be in different levels of virtual environments and finally at the end you have humans double checking stuff before shipping. It feels like they have very little in the way of test cases to hold the quality bar up on many aspects of the car. Eg ‘I installed build xyz and did you notice blah is bursted or worse?’

Sure things get through the gaps, but you open work items on those things and insist that those gaps get filled.
100% agree with you on this. If we ignore traffic moving around, parallel parking is pretty much a static scenario - it is literally a test case! There's no excuse for something like that getting worse. Though I guess it depends what the objective is: if the objective is "can I successfully park it here?" then that test case would pass. The car does indeed successfully park in the space - it just does it in a bit of a round about way which takes much longer than it used to. I guess they have these simplistic test cases.

From my point of view, I've found my car able to spot parking spaces much more easily than before. To be honest, it's always been a bit hit and miss with finding perpendicular parking spots but it is noticeably better now. For parallel parking I am also finding it picking up spaces much more easily including larger spaces which it wouldn't detect before perhaps because they were "too big" to be classified as a parallel park.

Reactions: Sporty
And it only rains occasionally, so no need to fix the wipers either…
Haha I guess the difference here is: have the wipers ever worked well? In this case, the parallel parking has gone from something ideal to something useless. The wipers have always been useless as far as I understand so nothing got broken... (not that this is an excuse. They auto wipers suck and need to be made better).

Reactions: Sporty
I updated the car to 2021.44.30 and I think this made autopark even worse! When I tried parallel parking it kept slamming on brakes every couple of moments. I gave up after my head was thrown into the headrest a few times. It's shocking how bad its become.

I might do a camera recalibration and see if that fixes anything.

I updated the car to 2021.44.30 and I think this made autopark even worse! When I tried parallel parking it kept slamming on brakes every couple of moments. I gave up after my head was thrown into the headrest a few times. It's shocking how bad its become.

I might do a camera recalibration and see if that fixes anything.
My guess is - very few people ever used parallel parking. So, they let that regress and got the perpendicular parking working.

My guess is - very few people ever used parallel parking. So, they let that regress and got the perpendicular parking working.
I recalibrate the cameras today and the sudden braking issues wen autoparking appear to have been resolved. The parallel parking is still much worse than the previous versions though - it takes a suboptimal path and takes much longer.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
Glad someone else has the same problem as me.

Can we get a fix for this, I prefer the old way.
Please raise this issue with your service centre. There don't seem to be that many people who use parallel park so it's not something that gets reported a lot. I spoke to my service today and they said that this is the first they had heard of it and asked me to send video footage etc. They suggested that the more people that report it, the more likely it is to actually get looked at. So if we keep pestering them we might get somewhere.

Please raise this issue with your service centre. There don't seem to be that many people who use parallel park so it's not something that gets reported a lot. I spoke to my service today and they said that this is the first they had heard of it and asked me to send video footage etc. They suggested that the more people that report it, the more likely it is to actually get looked at. So if we keep pestering them we might get somewhere.
Until Parallel Parking is integrated into the Vision/Beta Stack there aren't likely to be any improvements in the legacy ultrasonic Parallel Parking. Tesla needs to write the code to include it in the Stack but it is unlikely soon and probably VERY back burner at this time. Probably won't be addresses until after parking lots are added. Of course Tesla could offer Vision Parallel Parking in the next update. No way to predict what Tesla will do.

Until Parallel Parking is integrated into the Vision/Beta Stack there aren't likely to be any improvements in the legacy ultrasonic Parallel Parking. Tesla needs to write the code to include it in the Stack but it is unlikely soon and probably VERY back burner at this time. Probably won't be addresses until after parking lots are added. Of course Tesla could offer Vision Parallel Parking in the next update. No way to predict what Tesla will do.
They have definitely changed something with Parallel parking since the vision update. Ever since that update it now detects more spots and is able to stop for pedestrians but the parking manoeuvre is completely different now and much worse. So I suspect that parallel parking has been transitioned to Vision or has had some change made to it (for the worse). Obviously I don't know for sure but there isnt really another explanation for why it has changed so much since the vision update. Unless of course it's a local issue with my car and a few others. But I don't know for sure because not many people do parallel parking.

I'm not trying to push for them to make further developments but rather to fix something they've effectively "broken".

They have definitely changed something with Parallel parking since the vision update....
Not sure what you are seeing but unless your release Notes are different it is only Perpendicular added to the Vision Stack. Also I think Elon even Tweeted this.
IMG_9475.jpeg

Not sure what you are seeing but unless your release Notes are different it is only Perpendicular added to the Vision Stack. Also I think Elon even Tweeted this.
View attachment 751806
I'm talking about how it performs differently.

As far as I can tell, these release notes don't mean that parallel park hasn't been transitioned to vision. They don't need to tell us about the technology - just the new features. If parallel parking doesn't have any new features but the technology has changed then it may not be mentioned in the release notes. You see what I'm getting at here?

Im not saying that I know for sure that it has been transitioned. All I'm saying is that ever since this update I have noticed significant changes in parallel parking (some good, some bad but overall much worse) so I suspect it is related to this update unless it's an unfortunate coincidence.

View attachment 751806
So the point I'm making is that from the users point of view for Tesla, nothing has changed with parallel parking. It's still supposed to operate as before - ie detect a space between two cars and do its thing. Whether this is ultrasonic or vision is irrelevant to the user so if it has changed but still operates the same (as far as Tesla is concerned) then there isn't a need for them to mention it in the Release Notes.

I've only seen mentions of tesla Vision Autopark as a generic term. I've not seen anything to indicate that parallel parking has explicitly not been changed. And my experience of how it performs now suggests something had been changed.

I have sent a video to Tesla service showing my parallel parking captured on a camera and they have come back acknowledging that it does indeed look very wrong and the engineering team are investigating it to fix in an update. It's possible they are just saying this but we'll see.

Reactions: cobra
I have sent a video to Tesla service showing my parallel parking captured on a camera and they have come back acknowledging that it does indeed look very wrong and the engineering team are investigating it to fix in an update. It's possible they are just saying this but we'll see.
Sending to Tesla Service and expecting something to be done higher up is probably only one step above sending it into a black hole but......:oops:

Post the video here so we all can see. We all love watching Tesla's acting "weird".😅

Sending to Tesla Service and expecting something to be done higher up is probably only one step above sending it into a black hole but......:oops:

Post the video here so we all can see. We all love watching Tesla's acting "weird".😅
I agree. I only take some comfort in that a "technical person" contacted me a few times to clarify certain things about the issue. Whether or not they will actually look into it or not - I don't know. But I can only hope and keep pestering them.

Can't seem to attach the video here for some reason but I'll try again later