Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 1.0 and Battery Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My son purchased a new Model S and I have been looking at the used inventory every day. I have done much reading but want to be certain of two aspects of the car:

1- Am I correct in assuming the autopilot 1.0 is the same as 1.0+?
2- Is the difference between the 1.0 (or 1.0+) versus the 2.0 the ability for the car to self-drive? However, it appears the autopilot 1.0 or + can drive itself as long as the driver watches
3- If I buy a used S with, for example, 25,000 miles on it how long will the battery last?

Thanks from a very new forum user

Steve

AP1 does not see stop signs or signal lights, for one thing. It's certainly not ready for self driving. Don't know about 1+.
The battery is guaranteed for eight years. I put about 25 to 30 thousand miles a year on my car, all pleasure, no business. That sounds like over 200,000 miles. And why not? Electrics are not gas cars which grind themselves to destruction. But if your battery is five years old, you only have 3 years left. Tesla engineers figured that it's time, not miles.
Most guarantees try to be safe. I figure that the battery will probably last at least twice that long. In my case, that would be 400,000 miles. By then, Tesla batteries will be more powerful and guaranteed longer. And the new Teslas will be irresistable.

My son purchased a new Model S and I have been looking at the used inventory every day. I have done much reading but want to be certain of two aspects of the car:

1- Am I correct in assuming the autopilot 1.0 is the same as 1.0+?
2- Is the difference between the 1.0 (or 1.0+) versus the 2.0 the ability for the car to self-drive? However, it appears the autopilot 1.0 or + can drive itself as long as the driver watches
3- If I buy a used S with, for example, 25,000 miles on it how long will the battery last?

Thanks from a very new forum user

Steve
I don't know what AP1+ is, so I can't answer that. Not a term I've ever seen.

The AP2 cars have far more hardware to support self driving. A more powerful processor and more cameras may allow self driving, but many have doubts. There are already even more hardware changes that have been implemented, so AP2 cars could be just as orphaned as AP1 is currently.

As far as battery life is concerned, mileage is not important -- the battery is warranted for 8 years. Will it degrade over time?That's the nature of the beast. Thus far, degradation seems to be within manageable limits.

@pasteve99, the way I think of AP (and I've had it on my car since the day AP1 was released) is like a kind of cruise control that controls your car's speed and lateral steering (as opposed to either traditional cruise control or TACC, which only control the speed). Cruise control isn't self-driving, and neither is AP. They are driver assistance functions only, and you still need to pay attention to what's going on around you because you might need to take control. Put another way you can't expect to take a nap or read a book with your car on autopilot, but it allows you to drive longer distances with less fatigue because you're actively working less to drive the car.

Bruce.