Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Achiles Heel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's your source for deciding the processing speed is not adequate for what AP 1.0 is doing?
My own work experience with image processing and what I've been able to find on the current Mobileye hardware. But no "proof".

What I can say is that even within the limited range of the current camera and radar, there is a lot of unprocessed imagery; pedestrians waiting to cross, traffic lights, pavement arrows, several lane demarcations which are not recognized, etc. I believe identifying and processing in real time what is currently available is beyond the capability of the processor they are currently installing.

After the past few firmware updates (autopark update), I've been using AP less. There have been times where the car brakes suddenly with no reason. Also, what you guys mentioned earlier regarding moving towards a truck. If there is traffic up ahead, it will speed towards the car in front and brake really harshly before.

Were you a beta tester, or since we now have a beta, maybe I should say alpha tester? Version 7.0's debut was in mid-October 2015.

Lane-keeping not existing at the time would explain why I didn't have any issues with it.:p

But, serious it was late fall of last year that I did a major trip with V7 to California, and used the full autopilot extensively. It was sunny in California thereby confusing my brain as to what season it was.