Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot bobbing side to side

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happy to report that the issue is MUCH less noticeable on 2019.28.3.1

You can still feel it going side to side a little bit but it doesn’t progressively get worse so Autopilot is now usable, although my wife says it makes her car sick.

2016 Model X, now on 28.3.1
Have had this issue for a few months, service center recommended replacement of B pillar cameras after diagnosis in July, had them replaced last week. dont see much improvement to the bobbing. Taking it back in next week, lets see what they say next :)

2016 Model X, now on 28.3.1
Have had this issue for a few months, service center recommended replacement of B pillar cameras after diagnosis in July, had them replaced last week. dont see much improvement to the bobbing. Taking it back in next week, lets see what they say next :)

Service appointment tomorrow. Mine is so bad on the freeways it will activate traction control if I don’t shut it off.

I have a 2014 Model S with AP HW 1. It seems to do a similar weaving pattern when the AP is first engaged, but doesn't seem to escalate the weaving to the point that it attempts to cross the line. I notice this more on very wide lanes and unmarked merge lanes. I know I'm personifying the car a bit, but it seems to be "feeling" for the lane markings a bit.

Thanks, shall try that as a last resort, still have more that 1/2 life left on current tires. planning to play around with slightly different tire pressures, between front left and right to see if it makes any difference
update, service center advised front facing cameras and front tires replaced, they also performed a wheel alignment. problem solved. it took 3 service center visits

I have multiple theories on the Autopilot "bobbing":
  1. It's a feedback loop due to latency in the system. Could be fixed with some damping.
  2. It's because the output of the steering neural network are quantized and the software doesn't "blend" well between them. To make a contrived example, when the ideal steering angle is 5.5 degrees the system will use 5 degrees for a bit and then 6 degrees for a bit and then 5 degrees, etc., which results is bobbing back and forth.
  3. I know it's not this third one, but hilariously this weekend when Autopilot took a perfectly smooth country road curve as if it was a series of straight line segments (i.e., bobbed back and forth through it), I glanced over at the zoomed-in navigation display, and it in fact showed it as a series of straight lines segments (instead of the smooth curve it is). For a moment I thought, "well there's your problem" but it's surely just a coincidence.

Model 3 LR here with this issue. Google pointed me to this thread. Can't find a solid thread regarding this with the model 3.

Latest FW: 2019.40.2.1 38f55d9f9205

It started when they replaced the front steering rack with OEM 18" tires/rims back in mid September; the steering wheel is slightly tilted to the right. Two visits later (steering wheel is still slightly tilted) and they're blaming it on non OEM tires/rims but have a ticket open with Engineering to investigate and come up with a solution.

The SC manager said many people have this issue after swapping to winters. The caveat is that last winter I had the same rims and Nokians on and had no problems.

I feel like I'm going crazy as the SC has done an alignment (which I paid for) and they said it's within spec. Now they're blaming it on the non-OEM tire's softness.

I have an appointment with another SC and they texted me to drop by for a test drive - do another alignment for $240.00 +taxes CAD for an issue introduced after a warranty repair.

Any advice? Should I just drive it and wait for an update? Who do I ask for at the SC and how should I approach the conversation?

Model 3 LR here with this issue. Google pointed me to this thread. Can't find a solid thread regarding this with the model 3.

Latest FW: 2019.40.2.1 38f55d9f9205

It started when they replaced the front steering rack with OEM 18" tires/rims back in mid September; the steering wheel is slightly tilted to the right. Two visits later (steering wheel is still slightly tilted) and they're blaming it on non OEM tires/rims but have a ticket open with Engineering to investigate and come up with a solution.

The SC manager said many people have this issue after swapping to winters. The caveat is that last winter I had the same rims and Nokians on and had no problems.

I feel like I'm going crazy as the SC has done an alignment (which I paid for) and they said it's within spec. Now they're blaming it on the non-OEM tire's softness.

I have an appointment with another SC and they texted me to drop by for a test drive - do another alignment for $240.00 +taxes CAD for an issue introduced after a warranty repair.

Any advice? Should I just drive it and wait for an update? Who do I ask for at the SC and how should I approach the conversation?

There were quite a few complaints of M3 bobbing with the 2019.40.x FW

Happy to report that the issue is MUCH less noticeable on 2019.28.3.1

You can still feel it going side to side a little bit but it doesn’t progressively get worse so Autopilot is now usable, although my wife says it makes her car sick.
This seems to be a dead thread but I'm starting to have the same issue. Below 50 mph hardly anything, but above 65 mph it is really noticeable, making my GF sick.
The faster I go the more it wobbles.
Only on AP/FSDb Driving manual car is smooth as butter.
Had an alignment and made no difference. Tires are in good shape with lots of thread left... suspension inspected and all is tight ... no idea what to do next