Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot braking on cut-in and brake-check. Does car brake enough?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is what happened during a autopilot session. I am new to AP and learning how to use it too. At this point in time, I let AP negotiate the situation, but AP did not do to my liking. I Like, if AP applied the brakes more. Not sure if others have seen similar behavior.

I was on autopilot on a 3 lane local road and I was on right most lane. I did a lane change from right lane to middle lane, using AP lane change. My car move to lane,no issue. Car which was on left most lane also moved to my lane probably due to I am on his blind spot at the time. I am still on AP. Car came in front of me, and started braking for traffic in front. My car did not respond to this cut-in, and I waited till last minute and braked to get me out of danger. Bit scary situation on AP not responding well. Be careful. I am 2019.16.2
From Video ; you can see.
  • 16th second - I am almost on middle lane and car on my left started to cut in while braking / brake check scenario.
  • 24th second - Gave sometime for AP to react, I was on full alert, I finally, braked and took my car out of AP and out of danger. My car acted as if there was nothing in front. Not sure why.
  • Between 16th second, and 24th second, AP should have tried to increase the distance between my car and car in front, but that did not happen.

Always be safe.. and may be you can learn something from my experiance. Be your own judje.

This has happened to my twice. I didn’t save the dashcam video and didn’t report the bug to Tesla though. Will do next time.

Same feeling as you OP. I waited for AP to respond/brake, longer than I felt comfortable, and it still didn’t respond (my car is still tail-gating the car that cut me off). Both times I had to hit the brake to slow down and increase distance with the car I’m now tailgating.

I have HW3.0, do you have 2.5 or 3.0? 1st time it happened to me was with v9, second time was last night with v10.

AP doesn't react immediately when someone merges in front of you, probably with the idea that the new car might just continue through to the next lane. It happens all the time in my area with people deciding to exit from the left lane, or immediately heading for the left lane when entering a highway. If you give AP a few seconds it will start backing off if the merged car stays in your lane. Tesla is damned if they do, damned if they don't in this scenario. If they had AP slam on the brakes every time somebody moved through the lane in front of you people would be complaining about that, too.

Personally I can't imagine having AP set to 2 car lengths. I'm just a lot more comfortable having a bigger margin in front of me (I used to have it at 4, and I'm currently trying 3 to see if I can get used to it).

Reactions: android04
This has happened to my twice. I didn’t save the dashcam video and didn’t report the bug to Tesla though. Will do next time.

Same feeling as you OP. I waited for AP to respond/brake, longer than I felt comfortable, and it still didn’t respond (my car is still tail-gating the car that cut me off). Both times I had to hit the brake to slow down and increase distance with the car I’m now tailgating.

I have HW3.0, do you have 2.5 or 3.0? 1st time it happened to me was with v9, second time was last night with v10.
Actually found dashcam footage of the 2nd time. AP DID react to the car cutting me off (it slowed down a bit as soon as the other car was about halfway through the lane change). In the moment I thought it didn't react at all (just maintained the follow distance with the car I had in front of me before). Thanks for the info mc2002tii, next time it happens I'll try and be more patient and push through the nerves of not braking myself, hopefully I don't push through the other car lol. It just feels very weird, the car tailgate for what feels like a very long time after getting cut off.

If you want more distance then simply adjust it to a higher number on the fly. Another plus is adjusting Distance amounts (relative and NOT absolute as others have pointed out) counts as a steering wheel input.