Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Autopilot disabled due to] System Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very strange and concerning occurrence on a road I travel daily, near home. My model 3 sudden yelled at my to take over from autopilot with a noting autopilot disabled due to system failure [or error I don’t recall]. Then, that error disappeared and was not in the log but a warning that “Automatic Emergency Braking is Disabled” popped up. Autopilot wouldn’t re-engage until I parked at which point it engaged ht the Emergency Braking Error remains even after a screen reset and then fully powering off the car. What gives?

I've gotten what seems a similar alert a couple times. Usually late afternoon with sun glaring into the camera. Seemed better after a chance for the car to sleep it off.
Thanks. I’ve had autopilot force me to take over due to sun but never with that message (that I recall) and it seems like a reboot should remove the error, not time, if that was the source of the issue, no?

May be that the time delay is designed to ensure that the sun directly blinding the AP camera does not occur again if you start driving that after parking for 10 mins , as the sun may still be up and cause the same problem. One way to handle this in the algorithm would be to take the GPS location/ direction of travel from Navigation and calculate the time for sunset and then use that to put a time delay for AP restart. . Not sure how Tesla handles it, may be I am overthinking or over simplifying it.

• Informative
Reactions: Nb1277 and KenC
I had that happen multiple times on a recent road trip in my Model S. It happened at different points during the day so it wasn’t a lighting issue. I didn’t have to stop to regain access to AP, it became available again after 30-60 seconds. Most of the occurrences happened while I was running on 2022.24.8. I updated to 2022.28.2 during the trip and things improved after that. The message said AP was disabled due to a system error.

Very strange and concerning occurrence on a road I travel daily, near home. My model 3 sudden yelled at my to take over from autopilot with a noting autopilot disabled due to system failure [or error I don’t recall]. Then, that error disappeared and was not in the log but a warning that “Automatic Emergency Braking is Disabled” popped up. Autopilot wouldn’t re-engage until I parked at which point it engaged ht the Emergency Braking Error remains even after a screen reset and then fully powering off the car. What gives?

I had similar AP self-disablement events that could be correlated to one of the following:
  • sunrise/sunset angles hitting the front cameras, crashing AP
  • fog/internal condensation hitting any of the cameras (B-pillar ones seams to be most susceptible), crashing AP
  • rain/humidity/road spray from cars ahead hanging in the air, crashing AP
Not a big deal, since AP is flaky anyway.
The only disappointment for me is that this error state takes down cruise-control with it. If I could get Tesla to fail and preserve basic cruise-control functionality, I would be 95% satisfied with the outcome.

Reactions: astrobill
On a 300+ miles trip this week in MS, the AutoPilot (AP) shutdown randomly (about 5-6 times) while I was driving. It would flash warning sign to take control, plus loud alarm sound; then disengage. I first thought it was because it was not sensing my hand on the steering wheel, but that was not the case. It wasn't the sun blinding the camera either, cloudy day. The AP symbol on the dashboard would appear and then disappear while driving on the freeways. At first, I would stop, put the car in Park, and then AP would resume. This would reset the system, only to repeat the shutdown soon. I even stopped and did a hard-reboot of the computer. That helped for several minutes and then down again.

I saw three different alarms flashing on the dashboard:
  1. Auto pilot shutdown due to system error” - flashed for only a few seconds
  2. “Automatic emergency braking is disabled” - alternated with alarm #3 below
  3. “Cruise control disabled”
I submitted a service request using the App. The NEXT DAY I got a message from Tesla saying that this is "known issue with the current firmware and t they are working to rectify it". They said a service appointment was not necessary and cancelled the appointment. They did not give and ETA for the new update fix. My Model S is running on 2022.36.20 with full FSD Beta capability.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
On a 300+ miles trip this week in MS, the AutoPilot (AP) shutdown randomly (about 5-6 times) while I was driving. It would flash warning sign to take control, plus loud alarm sound; then disengage. I first thought it was because it was not sensing my hand on the steering wheel, but that was not the case. It wasn't the sun blinding the camera either, cloudy day. The AP symbol on the dashboard would appear and then disappear while driving on the freeways. At first, I would stop, put the car in Park, and then AP would resume. This would reset the system, only to repeat the shutdown soon. I even stopped and did a hard-reboot of the computer. That helped for several minutes and then down again.

I submitted a service request using the App. The NEXT DAY I got a message from Tesla saying that this is "known issue with the current firmware and t they are working to rectify it". They said a service appointment was not necessary and cancelled the appointment. They did not give and ETA for the new update fix. My Model S is running on 2022.36.20 with full FSD Beta capability.
When did you get 36.20? I think there have been a few small revisions since then. Your best bet is to ask in the FSD beta software forums.

When did you get 36.20? I think there have been a few small revisions since then. Your best bet is to ask in the FSD beta software forums.
I have been on 36.20 for about 1 or 2 weeks. The text from Tesla yesterday said that they are still working on a fix. Yes, I will check on the FSD beta forums like you suggested - good idea. Thank you.

Both my MX and MY are on 2022.44.2 . I have FSD on both cars but not participating in FSD beta . I drove the MY few days ago on AP and did notice a sudden slowdown on the freeway for no apparent reason ( not a phantom braking but a sudden slow down and then it recovered and upped the speed). There was no apparent reason for the slow down as the as I did not see any cars within next 100 ft. But it did not disengage from AP.

I'm on 2022.36.20. Got "Driving visualization downgraded" UI_a114 several times over various days. Would clear on next drive. Then got "Automatic Emergency Braking is Disabled" APP_w009. Got into Service Mode to see additional information. WIll post below. Each time, next drive. normal. I did note on the visualization downgrade, I replayed DashCam at the time stamp and say a momentary freeze or visual for a second followed by a couple pixelated roadway images during sun/shadows driving (tree lined roadway). Not sure if camera related. On day of Emergency braking message, there were patched of fog lowering visibility to about 1/2 mile but again not sure if computer or camera. Service request with data submitted. Waiting in cue.

IMG_1725.JPG
IMG_1722.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: KenC

I’ve just had this on the non-FSD most recent update of firmware. I was able to get the cruise control working, but have tried removing USB storage, hard resetting and sleeping.

Did you get any joy or improvement?

Yep.

Autopilot in my Model Y was disabled for the last 3.5 hours of a 4-hour drive this weekend due to unspecified "system errors."

I have a 2020 Model Y running 2022.44.25.3.

By the way, LOL @ Tesla's ridiculous number of bug release versions at all levels of the software tree in recent months. Clearly, something has gone awry with their process in light of these constant bug release fixes recently. I with they'd just take some time and he more deliberate about getting it as good as they can before introducing new features.

Anyway, back to my experience this weekend:

There was mild to moderate fog and light rain along portions of the route, but also periods of very good visibility. In the past, Autopilot functioned perfectly under all conditions along this route.

Initially, I received notifications about Autopilot being temporarily disabled due to limited camera visibility...something I've seen a LOT of with the "vision only" updates that have stopped using radar most of the time.

Anyway, after a few of these temporary errors, I received the Autopilot general "system error" notification with no reason stated. The error wouldn't clear and the vehicle wouldn't allow me to turn Autopilot on until I stopped at the end of the drive to totally reboot the vehicle while charging..

Honestly, it's unbelievable. Teslas driver assistance features have become totally unusable under many circumstances since the transition to "vision only" firmware functions.

P.S. Below is a list of all the bug release Tesla software variations out there now... LOL.

Come on, Tesla...get it together...re-enable radar in vehicles that have it, admit you made a mistake and the "vision only" thing was all about supply chain problems getting radars, and fix this. In addition to the now-known plan to put radar back in some models this month, offer to retrofit it into all vehicles sold without it. Restore the use of the earlier radar model vehicles that have it.

Readers, make sure you slide to the "all updates" side of this page... it's crazy how often Tesla is having to drop "bug fix" releases now:

I just returned from a road trip with my 2022 model 3 (version 2023.20.4.1). 500 Miles over 2 days, followed by the same trip back 6 days later in my model 3 with basic autopilot.
I had very similar situations on all days during the trip. I was wondering if using superchargers may trigger something. I've used autopilot on my 2 hour (50 miles each way in lots of traffic) commute for a year without issue. However, I never use autopilot at home. During this trip, I did.

The first time #1 happened ("autopilot shutdown due to system error", I was driving in the rain. It remained out for the remaining 100+ miles of driving. Throughout this time, the cameras didn't detect neighboring cars or road markings.
In other incidents, #3 would occur if I tried to re-engage cruise control or autopilot. I tried to reset the system by removing the USB and erasing most old sentry videos, doing a soft reboot, parking and locking car... nothing helped reboot the system. Only after letting the car rest overnight, did autopilot reappear.

After that, similar issues happened at random intervals throughout my 1 week trip. It happened at night time, during cloudy days, during rain, and during sunny days. I find it odd that this only happend during this long trip. I never had an issue while using the car as a daily driver.

Has anyone else resolved these issues? I have a service appt for next week.

On a 300+ miles trip this week in MS, the AutoPilot (AP) shutdown randomly (about 5-6 times) while I was driving. It would flash warning sign to take control, plus loud alarm sound; then disengage. I first thought it was because it was not sensing my hand on the steering wheel, but that was not the case. It wasn't the sun blinding the camera either, cloudy day. [...]

Yeah, this is "Tesla normal".
Sorry if you feel otherwise.

The first time #1 happened ("autopilot shutdown due to system error", I was driving in the rain. It remained out for the remaining 100+ miles of driving. Throughout this time, the cameras didn't detect neighboring cars or road markings.

Yeah, this happens.
When cameras can't see clearly (rain, fog, sunlight, internal condensation on cameras), the AP will shut down.
Sadly, it takes down the cruise control with it as well.

Only after letting the car rest overnight, did autopilot reappear.

If the conditions that caused the AP/CC to shut down subside, you can bring AP/CC back to life by pulling over, putting car in Park, then in Drive again.
Yeah, it's stupid, but that's Tesla software for you.

After that, similar issues happened at random intervals throughout my 1 week trip. It happened at night time, during cloudy days, during rain, and during sunny days. I find it odd that this only happend during this long trip. I never had an issue while using the car as a daily driver.
Has anyone else resolved these issues?

There is a small chance a physical part is actually broken in your car.
Much more likely it's Tesla software unable to manage real-world scenarios, and shutting down in response.
There is nothing to resolve here, short of trading your Tesla for another vehicle.

HTH,
a

Yeah, this is "Tesla normal".
Sorry if you feel otherwise.

Yeah, this happens.
When cameras can't see clearly (rain, fog, sunlight, internal condensation on cameras), the AP will shut down.
Sadly, it takes down the cruise control with it as well.

If the conditions that caused the AP/CC to shut down subside, you can bring AP/CC back to life by pulling over, putting car in Park, then in Drive again.
Yeah, it's stupid, but that's Tesla software for you.

There is a small chance a physical part is actually broken in your car.
Much more likely it's Tesla software unable to manage real-world scenarios, and shutting down in response.
There is nothing to resolve here, short of trading your Tesla for another vehicle.

HTH,
a
hey fellow NY'er,

I've been driving on the belt and cross island for a year. 2+ hours in the AM and another 2+ hours in the PM (love that traffic!). In that whole time, autopilot shutdown once - a rainy dark ride. It was understandable.
But this trip was different. After only happening once in over a year, it happened probably about 6X during the one week trip. It could be a cloudy afternoon, no rain, no glare, and a freshly cleaned windshield (and other camera lenses), and after an hour or so, blammo, it all shut down. Pulling over, stopping the car, doing a reset... nothing rebooted the system. No lines or cars detected, but if I put the car in park, sentry mode cameras worked.

The only differences - 1) driving about 250 miles/day, 2) not in NY metro area - I was generally rural with sometimes spotty internet reception. 3) I was relying solely on superchargers, not my usual home charger.

Could it be that the system gets buggy after its been used for over 100 miles? I've noticed a lot of people commenting on this happening for the first time during a long road trip.

hey fellow NY'er,

Yo, whaddyua looking at?
;)

I've been driving on the belt and cross island for a year. 2+ hours in the AM and another 2+ hours in the PM (love that traffic!). In that whole time, autopilot shutdown once - a rainy dark ride. It was understandable.
But this trip was different. After only happening once in over a year, it happened probably about 6X during the one week trip. It could be a cloudy afternoon, no rain, no glare, and a freshly cleaned windshield (and other camera lenses), and after an hour or so, blammo, it all shut down. Pulling over, stopping the car, doing a reset... nothing rebooted the system. No lines or cars detected, but if I put the car in park, sentry mode cameras worked.

For me, AP/CC error out with about 20% probability when I drive through rain/mist/fog/into the sun.
It doesn't take much for cameras to get fogged up or confused, and for Tesla software to crap out.

The only differences - 1) driving about 250 miles/day, 2) not in NY metro area - I was generally rural with sometimes spotty internet reception. 3) I was relying solely on superchargers, not my usual home charger.

I don't think any of the above are a factor.
I would focus on environmental conditions first, and foremost. Then, maybe, an intermittent hardware failure with one of the cameras.

Could it be that the system gets buggy after its been used for over 100 miles?

I don't think so (didn't happen to me), but Tesla messes with its software monthly, so each and every update can screw something up.
Short of submitting a service request to a SC (via an App, all other methods have been blocked), I'm not sure there is anything else any of us can do here. In all likelihood, Tesla SC wont find anything wrong and send you home with "they all do it" response, though.

a