Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot does not give priority to the centerline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if others have noticed this. When I use autopilot and there is a break in the right hand lane marking for a right hand turn lane, autopilot veers to the right unexpectedly. While I have gotten used to this, it still concerns passengers. Wouldn't you think that autopilot should give higher priority to the centerline instead of wanting to be in the middle of what it thinks is a much wider road? Once the right hand lane marking reappears, the car appropriately re-centers itself in the lane.

Preferring the center line also has issues. Such as breaks in it causing veering over to oncoming traffic, or choosing the passing lane over the right lane in forks.

What autopilot needs to do is understand the full context of the scenery/drivable space, and choose an appropriate path. Lane lines is just one input, and not critical as it is now. Tesla is not there yet.

Keeping centered when the lane gets wider is not the correct action. I find that when traveling in the rightmost lane on a multi-lane road it causes problems for ap2. When there is a merging area for an on-ramp, it swerves to the right and then back again as the lane marking comes back. Same problem when there is an off-ramp, when there is no dotted line across it. Also if there is an up coming lane addition, instead of picking one side or the other it chooses middle, rather than one side or the other until the new center line appears. Yuck.

This, combined with the latest jerkiness, makes me feeling like I’m being driven by an inexperienced driver who is a bit too nervous. It reminds me of driving with someone I knew who was told that when driving at night, to avoid headlight glare, just look at the line on the right and follow that. Drove me nuts as they swerved at every exit and entrance, scariest driver I’ve been with. There should be a logical solution, like good drivers do in their head which would be to center in the lane unless it gets too wide, then follow your existing track based on the side of the lane that’s not changing, erring to the center if not clear. I was taught to basically keep a proper distance from the center as the base, but adjust sensibly. I’ve been hoping this would get fixed in each release, but it’s been this way since the first ap2 releases. On the highway, I end up using the next lane over to not be aggravated by these unnecessary swerves. It is the first thing I test with each new update, kind of a pet peeve for me. Ap2 dec 16 90d running 2019.20.4.2

Reactions: Sir KITT
This was prevalent in AP1 on my AP2.5 not as much ..what version AP u have ? I’m on latest 20.4.2 and don’t notice as much as I did on AP1

I am on AP 2, but also with 20.4.2. On roads with parking spots on the right (hence no righthand traffic stripe), the car tends to get too close to the parked cars. I know, I know, I shouldn't be using AP on such roads, but I like to test the capability of the car in various situations.

Keeping centered when the lane gets wider is not the correct action. I find that when traveling in the rightmost lane on a multi-lane road it causes problems for ap2. When there is a merging area for an on-ramp, it swerves to the right and then back again as the lane marking comes back. Same problem when there is an off-ramp, when there is no dotted line across it. Also if there is an up coming lane addition, instead of picking one side or the other it chooses middle, rather than one side or the other until the new center line appears. Yuck.

This, combined with the latest jerkiness, makes me feeling like I’m being driven by an inexperienced driver who is a bit too nervous. It reminds me of driving with someone I knew who was told that when driving at night, to avoid headlight glare, just look at the line on the right and follow that. Drove me nuts as they swerved at every exit and entrance, scariest driver I’ve been with. There should be a logical solution, like good drivers do in their head which would be to center in the lane unless it gets too wide, then follow your existing track based on the side of the lane that’s not changing, erring to the center if not clear. I was taught to basically keep a proper distance from the center as the base, but adjust sensibly. I’ve been hoping this would get fixed in each release, but it’s been this way since the first ap2 releases. On the highway, I end up using the next lane over to not be aggravated by these unnecessary swerves. It is the first thing I test with each new update, kind of a pet peeve for me. Ap2 dec 16 90d running 2019.20.4.2

One of my major pet peeves with AP as well. My Model S is running AP 2.5 and has reacted like this on highways since day one (June 2018). I have put many a request in to Tesla about this - unfortunately with no response or improvement. It's a tricky dilemma - absolutely LOVING autopilot but having to constantly defend it's quirks when some (well, most) of my passengers get that nervous feeling and you have to 'explain' that it's just the growing pains of 'learning' to drive, just like a teenage driver that just got their learners permit. I find that comparison really helps people understand the 'learning and improving' part of AP and Tesla software, but I so want my car to graduate from drivers ed ASAP!

There are 2 spots on my daily commute where I experience this (one to my left, one to my right). I believe that the little swerve got worse around firmware 2019.16 or thereabouts. I kind of wish @verygreen would do one of those augmented overlays in this situation to see what the AP neural network is thinking.