Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Features Limited; Contact Tesla if this issue continues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've gotten the same "Autopilot Features Limited" message and also the "Surround View Limited" messages. My X is at the SC right now and this was one of the issues I asked to have looked at. When I met with the tech he said when v9 software rolled out that turned on the side cameras, but some cameras are dead, defective, or could have a short in the connection point. Told me most likely they would replace the side camera(s) and that will resolve the issue.
I'm picking the car up tonight so I'll see then what they did to resolve the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: alcibiades
I've gotten the same "Autopilot Features Limited" message and also the "Surround View Limited" messages. My X is at the SC right now and this was one of the issues I asked to have looked at. When I met with the tech he said when v9 software rolled out that turned on the side cameras, but some cameras are dead, defective, or could have a short in the connection point. Told me most likely they would replace the side camera(s) and that will resolve the issue.
I'm picking the car up tonight so I'll see then what they did to resolve the issue.
My car is new, 12-1-18 delivery with 51 miles, having the same problem. Did not resolve, after 261 miles. 48.12.1
Older X just started developing the same issue. I was hoping 48.12.1 would help, but nope.
I wonder if it's a firmware issue or because I just got them wrapped with ceramic coating. Could the ceramic coating cause the cameras to become blurry, etc? I'm tempted to call up the detailer to complain/ask how to remove the ceramic coating by the cameras, but if it's a firmware issue I don't want to have to complain.

I agree with @DCGOO 's post above.

I saw this message twice while on a long road trip earlier this week. In both instances, it occurred right around sunset and when a car was passing me. After a couple minutes, things worked fine for the rest of the trip.

Back in October, I saw a similar issue around sunset (and then again the next morning at sunrise) when cars were passing with their lights on. The message displayed was slightly different but also went away within a few minutes.

In all of my instances, I believe the AP was just getting confused by the changes lighting. Once the cameras adjusted to the light, they worked fine for the rest of each trip.

One trip was in a Model 3 and one was an S 100D, btw.

My car is new, 12-1-18 delivery with 51 miles, having the same problem. Did not resolve, after 261 miles. 48.12.1
Older X just started developing the same issue. I was hoping 48.12.1 would help, but nope.
I wonder if it's a firmware issue or because I just got them wrapped with ceramic coating. Could the ceramic coating cause the cameras to become blurry, etc? I'm tempted to call up the detailer to complain/ask how to remove the ceramic coating by the cameras, but if it's a firmware issue I don't want to have to complain.

Did you have the car wrapped, or ceramic coated, or both? (they are quite different, but can be used together) I doubt the ceramic coat affected anything, but the wrap might have.

Secondly, as I said up thread a bit, this is NORMAL behavior if environmental conditions preclude full operation of autopilot. Basically it is saying “I can’t see things very well right now, therefore I am limiting what I am willing to do.” IOW it is doing what it is supposed to do.

Did you have the car wrapped, or ceramic coated, or both? (they are quite different, but can be used together) I doubt the ceramic coat affected anything, but the wrap might have.

Secondly, as I said up thread a bit, this is NORMAL behavior if environmental conditions preclude full operation of autopilot. Basically it is saying “I can’t see things very well right now, therefore I am limiting what I am willing to do.” IOW it is doing what it is supposed to do.
I did both wrap/ceramic coat to both cars. I checked the cameras; they are not covered by the wrap and seem clear to me. Maybe it's just a coincidence since I have not driven the cars for 3 weeks and it's a firmware issue.

As an aside, I did notice one of the parking sensors (not sure if that's what they are, but they are the round buttons by the bumper areas) got pushed inward. When there's a gap between it and the wrap, the parking assist warning turns on. When I pushed the wrap inward to contact the parking sensor (?) it stopped complaining. I'll have the detailer take a look at pushing the parking button out to make it flush with the front bumper. I don't think it contributed to the limited view problem because it went away and it doesn't explain why both cars have the same problem.

I'll give it a few more days to see if the issue resolves itself before calling the detailer/Tesla service.

But they could turn off AP in that case instead of saying my features are limited. How do we know what's working and what's not working? Is it even safe to use?

It's confusing don't you think?

But they could turn off AP in that case instead of saying my features are limited. How do we know what's working and what's not working? Is it even safe to use?
It's confusing don't you think?

Actually, that is the way it used to work. If it was raining, nothing worked, not even cruise. Problem is that most of us would like to at least set the cruise control even if the fancy lane changing features do not work 100%. It was really annoying to have no driver assist features at all, if it was raining.

For me it is safe to use, You just have to stay aware of the fact that driver assist features might not all be operating at 100%. Yes, the warning message could possibly be a bit more detailed, But by saying "I am not all here, please pay attention" (paraphrased) it is better than simply missing seeing the dim gray pinstripes in the dash display that come and go under normal conditions.

Just received the same warning message. "Spotless" 2018 Model S with less than 300 miles on it. Reboot didnt help. Upon contacting support, they indicated it was a "known issue" and needed to push several updates to the car over a 24hr. period of time. Fingers crossed, we'll see.

I'm getting this. It's persisted in its intermittence over several updates and a "recalibration" by the SC. I spoke with a ranger who pulled up my logs and saw a driver side b-pillar camera error. They're going to swap out cameras (when they get one in stock... lol ).
Update: My DAS needs to be replaced.

I'd recommend that if you're getting this error intermittently that you write down when it happens so that a tech can check your logs for errors. Maybe it is just random and firmware related in some instances, but clearly this is not always the case.

I have an appointment with Tesla service to recalibrate the front cameras by the fenders. Apparently the detailer had to remove the cameras to wrap the car and replacing them back to their original position isn't good enough, gotta have a more detailed diag and machines do the recalibration. I'm not sure if there would be charges for recalibration as the cameras were touched by a 3rd party. I'm hoping that it's a quick job and Tesla wouldn't charge me for both of my cars.

Under less than ideal conditions, this is normal and correct behavior. Basically, anytime the cameras or radar do not have a perfect view of the world outside, the car will begin to withdraw features. it could be rain, snow, fog, driving into early morning sunrise or even just poor condition of the pavement. Autopilot lane keeping features are basically visual, requiring a clear view of the dividing lines between and beside lanes. Anytime conditions have degraded, performance goes along with it. Basically as confidence erodes, so does performance and the system requires more driver attention. The car continuously monitors conditions that affect autopilot operation, even if none of the features are not being used.

You will notice when this occurs, you will lose the display of the extra lanes in the instrument cluster (if using autopilot) and the auto lane change features stop working. When conditions improve, the automation returns and error message goes away. The Autopilot Features Limited error message is new. It used to be that you just had to notice that the outside lanes were not displayed. Back in the early autopilot days, the entire system would go off line and nothing worked. THAT was a PIA for sure, looking at hours of totally manual driving (first world problem I know).

IMO the error message is a little anemic, not really revealing much about the condition that actually failed, but at least it offers an explanation as to why something did not work as you expected.

This is what Tesla is telling customers. I believe a small amount of customer having AP glitches Tesla doesn‘t accept as error condition. Friends of mine having Teslas doesn‘t have this issues. I think it‘s related to driver assistance feature (keep lane). Set it to warning. I made yesterday a post describing similar issues. While it‘s not a fleet issue (every car), it‘s an error condition on these cars.