Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Freak Out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, I hope you all are doing well,

Has anyone on 2021.4.18 been noticing on roads 35 MPH to 45 MPH, AP freaks out thinking semi truck and pick-up trucks with trailers are going to hit the car on the side? This has been completely new experience ever since the 2021.4.18 update. I did clean all the cameras just in case but have not driven the cars since cleaning them.

Thank you for your time on this!

Reactions: cancoi
Hello everyone, I hope you all are doing well,

Has anyone on 2021.4.18 been noticing on roads 35 MPH to 45 MPH, AP freaks out thinking semi truck and pick-up trucks with trailers are going to hit the car on the side? This has been completely new experience ever since the 2021.4.18 update. I did clean all the cameras just in case but have not driven the cars since cleaning them.

Thank you for your time on this!
I have notice this at 70-75 mph as well.

Reactions: Kee_Chain
Here's me passing by a few trucks today while on AP. No problems. It doesn't happen when I'm going ~45 mph or ~75 mph.

MY_not_phantom_braking.jpg

Yeah, no. You're moving the goal posts. Until you post a picture or video of this happening I'm going to assume you're just trying to spread FUD.

Hint: Your Tesla has a built-in dashcam.

MY_not_phantom_braking_shadow.jpg

I had this happened before, so I put my hands firmly on the steering whenever passing a big rig. I think it only happens when the shaddow is between our car and the truck.

Well, like I said

the problem happens when the shadow is between the two which causes the car to make mistake.
And it does not appear this is the case here!

I'm passing all of these trucks at a good clip. They're not going 75+ mph like me on the freeways.

I'm in Tesla-central aka Silicon Valley. Teslas and trucks are literally everywhere.

I have notice this at 70-75 mph as well.

I have seen pretty consistent phantom brake incidents when either slowly passing a truck trailer, or if I'm stuck driving along next to it. Haven't noticed this problem when there is a larger speed delta between my car and the truck.

I’ve had my car hit the brakes when passing trucks. You can see the semi trailer moving around in its lane in the visualization.
I noticed this yesterday on a 400 mile drive. When it switches from one camera to the next it moves over a lane and then back. It happens twice, one seems to be right where it would switch from the forward camera to the middle, and one from the middle camera to the rear.

Made me nervou a few times as I hit the blinker stock to change lanes when the truck is alongside me and it will wait until after I pass the truck to change lanes, but then the truck disappears for a second and the red line blocking the lane change disappears.

Literally every single Tesla has an integrated dashcam. It should be easy to capture and post these instances here.
I’ll post when I can. But in all honestly it’s a pain in the ass to do just to convince someone in a forum about an experience we had while driving.

Pictures are simple and I’ll do it all day. But video is different.

Car hits the brakes around 20-21 seconds in. As soon as it hit the brakes I tapped the accelerator to speed up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darblish
Have had enough phantom breaking incidents with Autopilot to know it has flaws. Have noticed no consistent pattern. SUSPECT it has something to do with perhaps glare from the sun or sun angle or maybe reflections or shadows from other objects near or on the roadway. Its all done by cameras right? I say this because it has happened with absolutely no other vehicles nearby, and has also happened with vehicles nearby. No pattern.
I don't use autosteer any more because it kept the vehicle too close to large trucks and I like to keep a wider berth. Just personal preference. Autosteer also seemed to increase the number of phantom AP breaking incidents, maybe too much going on with system. Since I turned off Autosteer I rarely have phantom breaking incidents with only AP on.

I'll take your word for it, but I didn't see anything. I recall someone else posting a video and theirs showed the nose diving indicating heavy braking. They had data that backed it up as well.

Like I said--I use AP virtually every day, pass trucks frequently, and my car doesn't freak out. I feel confident enough to pull my phone/camera and try to capture stuff. There used to be a specific intersection that used to cause my car to freak-out and complain/beep. It used to be very timid around cyclist and brake whenever passing them so I think I know what to look for.

I’ll post when I can. But in all honestly it’s a pain in the ass to do just to convince someone in a forum about an experience we had while driving.

Pictures are simple and I’ll do it all day. But video is different.

Car hits the brakes around 20-21 seconds in. As soon as it hit the brakes I tapped the accelerator to speed up.

I'll take your word for it, but I didn't see anything. I recall someone else posting a video and theirs showed the nose diving indicating heavy braking. They had data that backed it up as well.

Like I said--I use AP virtually every day, pass trucks frequently, and my car doesn't freak out. I feel confident enough to pull my phone/camera and try to capture stuff. There used to be a specific intersection that used to cause my car to freak-out and complain/beep. It used to be very timid around cyclist and brake whenever passing them so I think I know what to look for.
You're not going to see much because I've become pretty quick to tap the gas when it phantom brakes. As soon as it starts to slow I hit the gas. Brake checking on SoCal freeways is a good way to piss people off. Look at the rate at which I pass the first truck and compare it to the second. Half way through the second truck my rate slows all of the sudden. Its not every truck.