Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot goof. Good thing I was paying attention :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI tried and this does NOT work. Doing so will continue to keep AP running indefinitely, you don't get the red-hands w/beep and then the red-wheel disengage. So it still satisfies the normal AP attention requirements. However NoAP will never start the lane change it wants to do, either, no matter how much you spin the volume and/or speed adjustment thumbwheels.

Maybe the programmers have created a mirror, with some changes, of the attention check to use in NoAP? I thought I'd checked this before when NoAP came out and the thumbspinner would work? Not super sure, since I decided NoAP wasn't worth continuing to use. That brings up the questions of if this was an intentional change in behavior, whether it will get changed [back?] in the future, or if AP's behavior will also get changed to follow this?

Elon I guess is wrong again.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Reactions: SammichLover
Elon I guess is wrong again.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Why, along with safety issue I think it presents**, I suspect it is either an unintended defect introduced in 8.5 that will get corrected within a couple patches, or something that someone changed and Musk will designate as a high priority defect shortly....and then get fixed within a couple patches. ;)

** It is sort of silly in that the level of wheel tug it now requires (yes, I know you don't need it for however you're holding the wheel) is probably counterproductive for safety in drawing attention away from the shoulder + mirror check.