Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot is already improving.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that this week, AP has gone back to where it started. It's like Tesla hit a reset in the learned data/behaviors or something.

- K
I wonder if that's what I experienced yesterday. I was driving on the freeway, no curves, but the Tesla got spooked by a truck passing my on the left that had a plow on the front. It jerked to the right and the alarm went off for me to take over. The truck wasn't encroaching as far as I could tell. Perhaps the plow was closer than the wheels and that's what it sensed.

Okay folks - the obvious question now is - why has Autopilot "reset" itself? Operating on two assumptions:

1 - Autopilot has in fact reset to some kind of "factory fresh" condition.
2 - This behavior is on purpose.

If 1 and 2 are both true then the question is why? What is Tesla doing? I realize the answer to this question is mere speculation but that's what we do here - speculate!

Take a peak at my lengthy post up thread. I'm pretty sure it hasn't learned anything new yet in the first place.

I've gotten about 2500 miles in on autopilot and I'm solid in this belief based on my reasoning up thread.

Okay folks - the obvious question now is - why has Autopilot "reset" itself? Operating on two assumptions:

1 - Autopilot has in fact reset to some kind of "factory fresh" condition.
2 - This behavior is on purpose.

If 1 and 2 are both true then the question is why? What is Tesla doing? I realize the answer to this question is mere speculation but that's what we do here - speculate!

As wk057 says above, there's the other option:

3 - Autopilot improvements are much less dramatic than initially reported, and the variance in the behavior is relatively high. (Which incidentally would encourage confirmation bias.)

I just had some service done. In that service my car was updated to 7.0.7.7.

Previously I saw AP improving over time. Then it went backward. Now it's back to a much improved state after the software update.

This might be part of it. The learned improvements rolled into an update that isn't being pushed, then reset the data and let the algorithms learn it again?

I just had some service done. In that service my car was updated to 7.0.7.7.

Previously I saw AP improving over time. Then it went backward. Now it's back to a much improved state after the software update.

This might be part of it. The learned improvements rolled into an update that isn't being pushed, then reset the data and let the algorithms learn it again?
Just to make sure, was it 7.0.7.7 or was it 2.7.77. That's what I got at the service center last week.

Last edited:
i agree that the perceived improvements may be due to changes in driver behavior more than anything else. I personally have learned what sections of roadway the car can handle and which it cannot and am more likely to disengage in areas where I know the car will have trouble. AP is still an impressive achievement and I enjoy using it for about 90% of my daily commute.

+1 @pedriscoll When I do have "wonky" behavior using Autopilot it is the same as the first time I have experienced it. Fleet learning may be happening and even sending back to the mother ship but anything back to the car?, I don't think that is happening. I am on the first generation release of Autopilot from October and still have the same, although few, issues happening today.

I particularly like this quote, as I have told my dd she must take AP Comp Sci next year. I'm sure it will be light years behind what's actually going on, but at least it's a start for someone who has no idea what she wants to do with her life, but she does love order and rules. Enter Comp Sci...or Accounting! ;)

"In 25 years, AI will be able to do almost everything a human can do. The last people with jobs will be AI programmers.”