Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Lane Change [need EAP or FSD for this feature]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EnerZ

Sep 14, 2021
Ohio
I have a new 2021 model 3. It has autopilot but not FSD. Should the car change lanes when in I initiate turn signal while autopilot is on? Or do you need FSD for that function? Mine does not change lanes.

Thank you. Unless I’m using it wrong I find the auto pilot completely useless on the highway without lane change, unless you are the only car on the road. I guess it’s a teaser to get you to purchase the fsd mode.

I wouldn't say completely useless. It's fairly easy to turn on the blinker, manually change lanes twice to get around a slow car, then re-engage autopilot.

Tesla's autopilot is just a lane holding feature. Many cars have that. Tesla wasn't even the first.

Reactions: kpanda17
EAC is not an option on 2021 model 3s in the USA. I have read it is still offered in some overseas markets, but not here. New model 3s are either standard autopilot or FSD, no in between

I don't believe it is an option on my 2020 Model Y, either. Somewhat disappointing. But for any future road trips I might do a FSD one month subscription just for enhanced highway comfort.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
EAC is not an option on 2021 model 3s in the USA. I have read it is still offered in some overseas markets, but not here. New model 3s are either standard autopilot or FSD, no in between

I think @KenC is commenting more on the additional detail I put in the thread title of "Need FSD for this feature". I will amend my note in the thread title to correct it.

======================

(Moderator note)

Corrected note in thread title to indicate that either Enhanced autopilot (EAP) or Full Self Driving (FSD) features needed for automatic lane change.

Reactions: Trekker_
I think @KenC is commenting more on the additional detail I put in the thread title of "Need FSD for this feature". I will amend my note in the thread title to correct it.

======================

(Moderator note)

Corrected note in thread title to indicate that either Enhanced autopilot (EAP) or Full Self Driving (FSD) features needed for automatic lane change.
I didn't see the corrected title, just the reply, my b. Either way probably better the OP knows he can't get EAP rather than him trying to figure out how to add it lol

Reactions: jjrandorin
I don't believe it is an option on my 2020 Model Y, either. Somewhat disappointing. But for any future road trips I might do a FSD one month subscription just for enhanced highway comfort.
Have you watched the videos on the FSD beta? With version 10, I think it might be worth becoming an early adopter at this point. I am planning on dropping the 10k on my credit card as soon as I take delivery. I wanted to put my down payment on my credit card for rewards but they don't allow that anymore so I just forwent FSD on the order to pay that on my credit card after delivery.

If autopilot would at least allow a manual lane change when you signal and then continue in the new lane, I would actually use it. I find it easier to just drive manually than constantly overide ut then re-engage. Most other lane keeping + cruise control allow that.

I only use it on long haul trips where I rarely need to change lane

100% agree... It should be included with basic autopilot... we changes lanes quite often here on Florida highways... having to disable then re-engage autopilot for every lane change really screws up the entire flow... I paid for 1 month of FSD and AutoLane change was hands down the BEST feature. Not worth $200 a month or $10k though...

Reactions: Stach
If autopilot would at least allow a manual lane change when you signal and then continue in the new lane, I would actually use it. I find it easier to just drive manually than constantly overide ut then re-engage. Most other lane keeping + cruise control allow that.

I enable by indicator, then begin to change lanes manually and it disables AP. Then I change lanes back to original lane after passing cars, and enable AP again. It's certainly more than should be necessary, but it does seem to work reasonably well.

FSD will do that whole procedure itself, or so I'm lead to believe.

I enable by indicator, then begin to change lanes manually and it disables AP. Then I change lanes back to original lane after passing cars, and enable AP again. It's certainly more than should be necessary, but it does seem to work reasonably well.

FSD will do that whole procedure itself, or so I'm lead to believe.
Yes, Navigate on Autopilot will do that, when it works correctly. :)

We've had Auto Lane Change in every Tesla we've owned, and when I recently rented a Model 3 with basic autopilot, I really missed having Auto Lane Change. The only EAP/FSD features I really care about are TACC, Autosteer, and Auto Lane Change, and I had all of those in my first AP1 Model S.

Reactions: LoudMusic

The cynics will say Tesla leaves this out because adding it will eliminate a major factor for buying the FSD package (or the EAP package for countries that still offer it).

Last edited:
Damn! Auto lane change didn't work on the new Model S I drove home yesterday, and it dawned on me that perhaps it only works on my 2018 Model 3 because I was forced into EAP just to get adaptive cruise control. But I've since become hooked on auto-steer, and auto lane change was a key part of it. Not springing for FSD at $10K, though; never got hooked on nav-on-autopilot. Guess I'll have to learn the disengage/reengage dance. Save me from this nonsense, Elon!

Reactions: Stach