Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Logic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know the actual logic behind autopilot so us users can be more aware of what it's actually doing and what it's capable of?

I mean like for example I've noticed it seems to prioritise auto steer in the following manner.
1) Dual lane markings
2) Single side lane marking (tends to be closer to the line it senses than in mode 1)
3a) Follow preceding car if lane markings are poor.
3b) Follow preceding car in bumper to bumper traffic.

Things I'm really curious to know is like how close does another car have to come beside you before the auto steer takes evasive action? Or does it actually ignore that and follows it's lane markings if visible.

Is the adaptive cruise control safer when set with a larger separation or is its ability to reduce speed and prevent a collision with the preceding car independent of how close you choose to follow preceding car because the car will brake harder?

What kind of closing speed triggers the collision warning and how is the AEB triggered?

Things I'm really curious to know is like how close does another car have to come beside you before the auto steer takes evasive action
I am very curious about this, too. Sometimes as I tool down I-95 on autopilot, cars drift over from the right lane, encroaching slightly on my lane space. I have always been too chicken to find out what happens if they get too close -- I usually flip it out of autopilot and "cheat" to the left edge of my lane to minimize risk. But will the autopilot at some point steer away, or will it just warn and dump out of autopilot mode?

Some tidbits:

1. Below 18mph, it always uses a leading car for steering guidance.
2. Your listed priorities for guidance are in line with my experience. HPP (Holistic Path Prediction), which is to predict the path of the roadway based on existing known curvature, would be #4.
3. If a leading car changes lanes in an intersection without lane markings, your car will follow...so be careful!

In my experience, a larger following distance is safer for a number of reasons:

1. More following distance is ALWAYS safer. Not only does it give your car (and you, the driver) more time to react if needed, but it also means the car will brake less aggressively.
2. More following distance gives the camera better visibility of the lane markings.
3. More following distance gives the radar system a better view of the forward traffic situation (cars in an adjacent lane and ahead of you).