Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot nor Cruise will engage 50% or more of drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last Thursday my M3 started not having the TACC or AP available for the first about 15-18 min of driving. The autosteer icon and the MAX SPEED will flicker on occasionally but mostly stay off. Then after that time period, the icons come on and I can use TACC and AP for the rest of the drive. Sometimes it will work right away, but most drives in the last 4 days I need to wait that long.

The display seems to be showing the cameras working fine, it displays the cars and lane lines like always.
Could be related, but that feels like something different. For me, and I believe everyone having this issue, once it’s gone it’s gone for at least that whole drive. The only time it may reset is between drives.

I been having this issue on my 2019 LR Model 3. I don’t get it. It’s on 2022.12.3.2. My wife’s 2022 Model Y we took delivery of last week had the calibration message, but since has been gone. After 100 miles, still haven’t been able to use autopilot. It’s on 2022.16.1.1.

I get this all the time. 2 button reset NEVER works. Sometimes going to security and selecting power off works - you cannot touch ANYTHING for at least 2 minutes then tap the brake. Sometimes it works. Another trick I read is go to service and select "wheel configuration" this seems to help the most/quickest. I had read about people who need a new radar - and that fixes it. It is random and really frustrating. Fixes itself often. One time it slowly fixed itself while driving - other cars on the screen were literally flickering, this made me think it was hardware -radar. A few people had service push through an update (or something like that) and fix it remotely. I asked for that and they said ok but no idea what is going on - I cannot get a response. I have an appointment tomorrow I hope to not go, very busy at work.

Reactions: growltyger
I own a 2018 Model 3 LR and recently had it retrofitted to HW3. First day everything was fine but the next day the autopilot would not engage and no visualization of cars or traffic lights on the screen. Rebooting the computer with double scrollwheel thing didn't work nor did restarting the car. I went with one of the fixes suggested on this forum of turning off the sentry mode for a few hours and letting the car "sleep." That worked. I didn't have to disconnect my SSD. Just another data point!

Software version 2022.16.3 my Autopilot and Adaptive Cruise unavailable on my drive to work this morning, worked fine on the way home yesterday. Only charged the car in between it working and not working. Submitted a service request to Tesla. Seems Tesla has some random bugs in their software. Really sucks not having either AP or TACC, first time I have had any real issues with the car. 2019 M3P with 53k miles.

Software version 2022.16.3 my Autopilot and Adaptive Cruise unavailable on my drive to work this morning, worked fine on the way home yesterday. Only charged the car in between it working and not working. Submitted a service request to Tesla. Seems Tesla has some random bugs in their software. Really sucks not having either AP or TACC, first time I have had any real issues with the car. 2019 M3P with 53k miles.
I think you just need a software update. You're a few versions behind. I had issues on the 2022.16.x but so far 2022.20.x has been fine.

Reactions: GoergeJetson
No issues until 2022.16.3 which I just got a week ago, I am looking for another update but so far I haven’t received software push.
After parking the car at work today, 9 hours later, I drive home with no issues, AP and TACC working just fine. I did go into the Service menu and checked under Notifications for error messages, the only thing I saw was "UI_a114 Driving visualization temporarily degraded, Features may be restored on next drive" which is the same notification I saw at 7:44 AM (25 min after leaving home) and again at 5:44 PM (25 min after leaving my office). Same notification but AP and TACC worked on the way home no issues.

Seems somewhat random to me and I would believe it's a software issue, I received no software updates while the car was parked in that 9 hour window between AP not working and AP working.

Guess I will cancel my Tesla Service request.

After parking the car at work today, 9 hours later, I drive home with no issues, AP and TACC working just fine. I did go into the Service menu and checked under Notifications for error messages, the only thing I saw was "UI_a114 Driving visualization temporarily degraded, Features may be restored on next drive" which is the same notification I saw at 7:44 AM (25 min after leaving home) and again at 5:44 PM (25 min after leaving my office). Same notification but AP and TACC worked on the way home no issues.

Seems somewhat random to me and I would believe it's a software issue, I received no software updates while the car was parked in that 9 hour window between AP not working and AP working.

I'm still not convinced it's a software issue with 2022.16.3. There are hundreds of thousands of Teslas on the road with basic AP, and if a software bug was causing that type of error, we'd have heard about it from a great many people. I'm thinking it's either a hardware issue (loose wiring harness somewhere, or intermittent camera failures), calibration problem (try recalibrating the cameras), or the software update did not apply properly (have service force the software back to your car and keep an eye on it during the update).

If you experience the error while driving, press the voice button and say "bug report". Note the date/time you did that and let service know that you created a report for them. Service will download the report and can analyze the telemetry.

For what it's worth, I had an issue with my car intermittently complaining about the right side camera. The issue, when present, prevented any autosteer functions, include FSD beta, of course. It was maddening, because it would come and go at random.

In the end, A service tech came out and worked on the car. He had a hard time finding the problem, but eventually found the right side camera had a cracked connector, leading to an faulty wiring connection. After replacing the camera, I've had no more issues with it.

So, you might want to keep that service appointment.

Reactions: Dewg
So, even though AP worked fine on the way home yesterday, after charging last night AP didn’t work this morning on my way to work. This really does not seem like a hardware issue. I have a software update pending install, I will wait and see if that fixes my issues.

So far so good, it's been a few days now since I installed the update and no more AP issues. Guess that's one thing with a car that is so software focused, any glitch in the software can cause things not to work. I've cancelled my service appointment so I don't waste my time with Tesla, 54,000 miles and other than a few very minor issues, my M3P has been great.

After at least a month and a half of no problems, the issue returned for me this morning on 2022.20.8. Only noticed it one long drive this morning, so I'll keep an eye on it. No cruise or autopilot, display doesn't show other vehicles. I haven't had the problem since late June/early July and at least 2 or 3 software updates ago.

I already have an open service appointment for another issue so I reported this and they said they'd add it to ticket, so we'll see, but every time I'd reported it in the past I've been told a future software update would fix it.