Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot on 2023.12.1.1 much improved for me.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else noticed a significant improvement with basic autopilot in smoothly stopping for a stopped car ahead, and in stop and go traffic on 2023.12.1.1?

On previous versions if I was using AP and there were cars stopped ahead it seemed like AP would wait too long and then hit the brakes too hard to come to a stop. If someone was behind me I'd worry they might either rear end me or at least assume I'm a bad driver. It was unpleasant enough that I would always just disengage it and slow down myself. But after getting 12.1.1 it is like the car is seeing much further ahead and beings slowing sooner and comes to a respectably smooth stop. Well enough that 95% of the time I don't think anyone behind me would think anything of it.

This also has made a big improvement in stop and go traffic. It no longer will zoom ahead when the car in front starts moving and then hit the bakes too hard if it slows down quickly again.

I'd say it still won't keep up with the car in front when it accelerates as well as it should but I just push the pedal a bit if I need to.

Anyone else notice this?

I have a 2022 M3 LR. Hardware 3.

Reactions: powertoold
Interesting. That update is pending on my car and I'm honestly holding off installing 2023.12.5 because of how good 2023.12.1.1 has been for me. I don't want to risk regression. Thanks for the comment, I'm going to keep holding off for now going to 12.5.
To be clear, there was no difference on any other previous versions either. It did not get better and then get worse again. It was always bad since I got the car.

Reactions: MutantT
I have to agree. Since the latest update and actually the one before 2023.12.1.1 it has been a decent improvement. Don’t have the accelerate fast and brake hard when in stop and go. I can actually use it now.
Ok, good to know. That's what I'm noticing as well. Did you update to 2023.12.5? I'd like to assume the improvement came with the major version (the number directly after year) and isn't going to regress if I update from 12.1.1 to 12.5.

Curious - when you talk about improvements/degradation/anything - can you also post your car length setting? I've noticed that depending on the number of car lengths I have set my TACC to makes a significant difference in how AP handles stop/go. I wonder if there were improvements in the curve.

Curious - when you talk about improvements/degradation/anything - can you also post your car length setting? I've noticed that depending on the number of car lengths I have set my TACC to makes a significant difference in how AP handles stop/go. I wonder if there were improvements in the curve.
The lowest setting my car allows is 2 (only the versions with radar can go to 1). It's at setting 2 that I've noticed this significant improvement. Previously if I was on 2, unless the car in front slows gradually, there was a good chance mine would end up braking hard and come to a stop with a large gap between me and the car in front. It wasn't as bad on setting 3, and was ok on 4+.

Now on version 2023.12.1.1 on setting 2 it is much better. And even when it does need to brake harder it only does so for a bit and then comes to a gentler stop at a reasonable distance from the car in front.

Where I'm at (Chicago suburban area) people drive like they're in a hurry all the time. (I used to as well) Braking unnecessarily hard has a better chance of getting your rear-ended, or at least pissing off the person behind you. And keeping the car at follow distances more than 2 just ends up with everyone and their grandma cutting in front of you for leaving a huge gap. I still sometimes get cut off with my follow distance on 2.

So this improved stopping on setting 2 has made a big difference for me.