Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot question, thank you!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the process of purchasing a 2017 Model S. My understanding is that you had to purchase the new hardware suite, is that correct or did all come with it? If the car has the camera hole in the side doorframe does that mean is has the hardware? Sorry it is hard to determine which features a used one has....also I have attached a screenshot of the AutoPilot screen....it seems off to me as it doesn’t ask to upgrade to full automated driving. At very least it’s clear this one does not have Enhanced autopilot correct? What does this screen tell experienced Tesla users? I really appreciate it, trying to purchase one out of state and hard to figure out what it has. Thank you!!!

Attachments

• 1CC33EFE-44CB-4704-8AED-DAD5DC028DB9.jpeg
    1CC33EFE-44CB-4704-8AED-DAD5DC028DB9.jpeg
    341.2 KB · Views: 57
Every Tesla built in a given timeframe has the same level of hardware for autopilot. The software for driver convenience features may or may not be activated, but the hardware is there.

A 2017 will be either AP2 or AP2.5. I'm not aware of an easy way to tell the difference from looking at it - they have the same 8 camera locations, 12 ultrasonic locations, and one radar, but the cameras and radar (and the processor in the dash) are different. Get a build month from the door sticker - I think the changeover is in August 2017.

Thank you for the reply, I’ll get the sticker but I know it was titled in June of 2017......so what does that mean exactly? It will have AutoPilot 2 prob, but different cameras? I guess I’m trying to figure what the capabilities of this car would be. It’s clear it probably doesn’t have EAP yet but could it if I purchased? Thank you again, I’m learning so forgive my ignorance.

Yes you will be able to purchase and the AP of a June 2017 is probably 2.0. As the prior poster mentioned, the car has the hardware for EAP and (theoretically) Full Self Driving but the feature may or may not be enabled.

There are differences between AP2.0 and 2.5. But the most notable difference is that 2.0 does not currently have the dash cam feature that 2.5 does. Sentry Mode is another although that seems to be in development.

Yes you will be able to purchase and the AP of a June 2017 is probably 2.0. As the prior poster mentioned, the car has the hardware for EAP and (theoretically) Full Self Driving but the feature may or may not be enabled.

There are differences between AP2.0 and 2.5. But the most notable difference is that 2.0 does not currently have the dash cam feature that 2.5 does. Sentry Mode is another although that seems to be in development.

Ok thank you! I guess I was confused that the AutoPilot screen did not have the prompt to purchase the fully automated driving in the photo I attached, so I was worried the hardware wasn’t installed or something. But I guess I was incorrect, and it seems like it just doesn’t have EAP and possibly the owner had not activated certain features? I thought the auto park and summon were basic features but that’s just with EAP? Thank you again

Ok thank you! I guess I was confused that the AutoPilot screen did not have the prompt to purchase the fully automated driving in the photo I attached, so I was worried the hardware wasn’t installed or something. But I guess I was incorrect, and it seems like it just doesn’t have EAP and possibly the owner had not activated certain features? I thought the auto park and summon were basic features but that’s just with EAP? Thank you again

A 2017 car will have one of three configurations - no convenience features, eAP, or FSD. There's no Autopilot at all on cars that don't have eAP back then - just a standard blind cruise control. It sounds like that's probably the case with this car. Summon is part of eAP at that time.

A 2017 car will have one of three configurations - no convenience features, eAP, or FSD. There's no Autopilot at all on cars that don't have eAP back then - just a standard blind cruise control. It sounds like that's probably the case with this car. Summon is part of eAP at that time.

Ok that makes sense and why the AutoPilot screen just has those basic features. I was just confused on why the prompt message I’ve seen on others that says “click to purchase full self driving feature”. Shouldn’t it say that on the screen?

Ok that makes sense and why the AutoPilot screen just has those basic features. I was just confused on why the prompt message I’ve seen on others that says “click to purchase full self driving feature”. Shouldn’t it say that on the screen?

Pretty sure that's done from MyTesla these days, but I've never had a car that could have that option and didn't, so I'm not 100% sure.

^^^ this ^^^
Check your MyTesla (account web access) if you have that option in manage this car section.

Hello, this is a car I am researching to purchase. Is there a way for me to check with the ViN? Like I said my only concern was that it did not even have the capability to add the autopilot features. I believe that all 2017’s have the ability? If anyone has different feedback on the hardware piece please let me know. Thanks!

Ok thank you, so in your opinion it has at least the AP2 and the hardware, but the EAP and Full driving simply haven’t been purchase but could be at anytime if I wanted.

Correct. Any Tesla built in the first half of 2017 will have the complete AP2 hardware set, and eAP and FSD should be available for purchase in any of them if it hasn't already been purchased, though the prices vary over time.

FSD will require a computer (and possibly sensor?) upgrade, which Tesla will have to schedule and hasn't started doing for folks that bought it in 2016 yet (chips just started being produced a couple months ago that Tesla thinks are sufficient.)

Correct. Any Tesla built in the first half of 2017 will have the complete AP2 hardware set, and eAP and FSD should be available for purchase in any of them if it hasn't already been purchased, though the prices vary over time.

FSD will require a computer (and possibly sensor?) upgrade, which Tesla will have to schedule and hasn't started doing for folks that bought it in 2016 yet (chips just started being produced a couple months ago that Tesla thinks are sufficient.)

Ok great that is great info. I have been reading more about it, and it seems like if I bought 2016 I would have AP1 but would have more autopilot like features available standard. I also saw recently the prices were cut but of course are now higher once I consider. Not sure the current cost is worth the cool factor, all I think I’d ever use is the ability to drive in the interstate for me as I check phone, etc. summon would be cool, but not worth the current costs. If they cut it in half I’d prob do it, sonwe shall see. Thanks for all the help

Ok great that is great info. I have been reading more about it, and it seems like if I bought 2016 I would have AP1 but would have more autopilot like features available standard. I also saw recently the prices were cut but of course are now higher once I consider. Not sure the current cost is worth the cool factor, all I think I’d ever use is the ability to drive in the interstate for me as I check phone, etc. summon would be cool, but not worth the current costs. If they cut it in half I’d prob do it, sonwe shall see. Thanks for all the help

Sometimes folks get confused, especially in assuming people understand part of what they are trying to tell you already.. No version of AP was ever standard until a month or so ago - and that version lacks auto lane change and Summon, things that have been part of AP and the eAP from the beginning. AP1 was more capable than AP2 for a while, but not any more.

(I spent three years with an AP1 X delivered two months before AP2 was announced, and just got a Raven X to replace it. The Raven car is definitely smoother on AP, especially when folks cut you off.)

Like all the later versions, Tesla put AP1 hardware on every car, but you had to buy TACC and Autosteer and Summon - initially for $2500, then $3k. eAP added a few features and significantly higher prices.

Sometimes folks get confused, especially in assuming people understand part of what they are trying to tell you already.. No version of AP was ever standard until a month or so ago - and that version lacks auto lane change and Summon, things that have been part of AP and the eAP from the beginning. AP1 was more capable than AP2 for a while, but not any more.

(I spent three years with an AP1 X delivered two months before AP2 was announced, and just got a Raven X to replace it. The Raven car is definitely smoother on AP, especially when folks cut you off.)

Like all the later versions, Tesla put AP1 hardware on every car, but you had to buy TACC and Autosteer and Summon - initially for $2500, then $3k. eAP added a few features and significantly higher prices.

Yeah I am certainly confused, I’m not even sure what the costs are now and what I’d have to pay or do I have 2 options? It’s hard to figure out, thank you for the input. My goal is to buy a used 2017 as a secondary vehicle for my wife(she’s a realtor) and then if we like it get an X as the family car later this year. My guess is we will like it.

A lot of 2016’s exist but I want a 17 bc of the facelift and it will have AP2 and new hardware. Issue is not a lot of 2017’s exist because they are less than 2 years old. I figured out why I’ve found 5 or so in Cali all priced about the same and all without AP enabled...they are from Enterprise and were part of the exotic car collection rentals. Once they get close to 30k miles they replace. I’m guessing they do not enable AP for liability concerns, I guess I could get lucky and it has the features available but not activated, although my guess is they simply didn’t buy it. Cars have most other features like glass roof and power lift gate, most have the multi seats, which I’ve seen some say they like more than leather but certainly is a cheaper option.

I really do appreciate the feedback, hopefully I’ll make a good decision and then figure out what it will cost me to have any AP features enabled.