Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot total failure followed by self repair???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 S Raven with FSD. It has been virtually trouble free and delightful to drive and operate WITH ONE EXCEPTION. I was almost 500 miles from home and experienced TOTAL autopilot failure, including even basic autopilot. I think a clue is that this happened after the car was parked in an indoor parking structure for several hours. After doing a couple of full reboots that didn't repair the problem, I drove home without an autopilot (I'm getting too old for this!), scheduled a service appointment and parked it in my garage at home. Well, the next day it started working perfectly and has been fine since then. My navigation was fine during the drive home. Just no autopilot. Can someone explain why this happened, why it self-repaired and what to do if it occurs again?

I saw a post on TMC yesterday about a similar issue, and it appears to be a heat issue and a software bug. Apparently as the temperature increase inside, the software turn off Autopilot. That post indicated that the owner did a Bug Report, took it to a service center, and they saw the fault codes. Engineering told them that it's an issue with the software and that an update is coming to fix this.

Don't know if you're situation is the same, but thought I would share.

When it stops working, do a Bug Report, and then contact your service center and ask them to download the debug logs and inspect to for root cause. If they find something weird, they send it to engineering in Fremont.

Hopefully this helps.

...TOTAL autopilot failure...

There have been too many posts about disappearing Autopilot / FSD so don't be surprised if it already happened to you.

Some were able to do a reboot, others have to disable Sentry Mode and USB flash drives then reboots then let it sleep for a while.

Still others have to make appointment with Service Center for an Over-the-Air fix.

It's a nature of buying a beta product while hoping it works as if it's a production-quality product.

Hope is good but be prepared to expect bugs is better so you won't be disappointed to find out that it's really a beta product!

Last edited:
I had an issue on my 2015 S85D the other night. I canceled an auto park and then I got a message saying that the Autopilot was Disabled with a red X. I rebooted the big screen, then the instrument cluster, but the AP would not turn on and the message remained. Then I went to service menu and "Shut Down" the car. I then restarted it and it has been fine ever since. Something spooked it I guess and I had to give it a fresh start. Not saying it was the same issue as yours. But sounds pretty close (except I was essentially in my driveway and not on the road)

I had an issue on my 2015 S85D the other night. I canceled an auto park and then I got a message saying that the Autopilot was Disabled with a red X. I rebooted the big screen, then the instrument cluster, but the AP would not turn on and the message remained. Then I went to service menu and "Shut Down" the car. I then restarted it and it has been fine ever since. Something spooked it I guess and I had to give it a fresh start. Not saying it was the same issue as yours. But sounds pretty close (except I was essentially in my driveway and not on the road)

HMMM. Very interesting. Do you mean you did a "factory reset" when you went into the service menu? I haven't tried that before. Maybe I will next time (If there is a next time). Did it mess anything else up when you did it? (You don't really need to answer if you prefer not to). Thanks for your help!

...Do you mean you did a "factory reset" when you went into the service menu?...

"Factory reset" would erase all settings: HomeLink, Driver Profiles, favorite maps & history...

It's in Service menu and not in Safety & Security menu.

However, electronic "Power Off" is under the menu "Safety & Security". Touching that would turn your displays, lights, propulsion off. Touching the display again would turn the display on again.

My autopilot suddenly disappeared in the middle of the road. Doing reboots and "Power Off" didn't fix it.

It just automatically came back about 2 minutes later on its own and was fine after that.

HMMM. Very interesting. Do you mean you did a "factory reset" when you went into the service menu? I haven't tried that before. Maybe I will next time (If there is a next time). Did it mess anything else up when you did it? (You don't really need to answer if you prefer not to). Thanks for your help!
NO! Not a Factory Reset. Just th shut down. It takes about 30 seconds. Then you touch the brake and it will boot up. Factory Reset will reset all of your settings and locations in the NAV, etc. Like if you are selling the car.

Can someone explain why this happened, why it self-repaired and what to do if it occurs again?

Had this issue reoccurring for several months, usually happened after leaving it parked in the sun for a while, then it would go away in a few hours or the next day.

After several SC visits with Tesla telling me they couldn't find anything wrong, they finally said they tracked it down by looking at the logs... it was the front camera overheating. They replaced it and I never had the issue again. However, this was a 2015/AP1... so it could be a different issue with your newer hardware.

...Can someone explain why this happened...

I am sure Tesla has a perfect answer for that but the sudden loss of the automation system is not unique to Tesla per this paywall article:

Technical Glitches Plague Cruise, GM’s $19 Billion Self-Driving Car Unit

The GM Cruise Automation system was running well for 20 minutes to impress Honda Motor CEO Takahiro Hachigo but then the system just stopped working while the car propulsion was still driving away but luckily the safety driver manually took over.