Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Update for Older Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of us who bought a Model 3 without Autopilot prior to Autopilot being a standard feature on all Model 3s, what are the chances that we will get it as a free update?

None. Tesla likes to screw early adopters over. Make you pay more and give you less. Tell you it’ll cost more later then offer everything for $5k to those who didn’t support Tesla before.

Y’all should have just bought EAP and you would be set.

I have EAP and I’m not set. I bought it early at $5000 when i got the car and people who didn’t buy it when they bought the car got to buy FSD for $5000 in March 2019. Where as I got nothing in return for giving Tesla $5000 early.

So no. I’m not set. I got a can opener up my rear end and still trying to pull it out.

None. Tesla likes to screw early adopters over. Make you pay more and give you less. Tell you it’ll cost more later then offer everything for $5k to those who didn’t support Tesla before.

Oh seriously cry me a river. My Performance w/PUP dropped $5k a few weeks after I took delivery and is now nearly $10k cheaper, although without a full tax rebate - womp womp. But..

The "but" is that when AP was not free, you got some features that are not included in the free version today, which is why FSD is less expensive for those of us with the paid AP than those with the free AP (although oddly the $6k upgrade on the site can't be purchased right now)

Anyway, so if you get a free upgrade, I should be able to downgrade mine to the standard AP and get a refund... and then it gets complicated.

I actually made a comment about six months ago that Tesla would probably offer some AP features for free in the future, such as adaptive cruise control etc. (and got lots of down-votes... duh) but the reality is, they will continue to offer some features as part of a standard package to remain competitive and maximize safety.

Oh seriously cry me a river. My Performance w/PUP dropped $5k a few weeks after I took delivery and is now nearly $10k cheaper, although without a full tax rebate - womp womp. But..

The "but" is that when AP was not free, you got some features that are not included in the free version today, which is why FSD is less expensive for those of us with the paid AP than those with the free AP (although oddly the $6k upgrade on the site can't be purchased right now)

Anyway, so if you get a free upgrade, I should be able to downgrade mine to the standard AP and get a refund... and then it gets complicated.

I actually made a comment about six months ago that Tesla would probably offer some AP features for free in the future, such as adaptive cruise control etc. (and got lots of down-votes... duh) but the reality is, they will continue to offer some features as part of a standard package to remain competitive and maximize safety.

Good for you. You’re rich you can afford the $10k hit and not cry about it. Not everyone is as well off as you. Consider yourself luckier.

I’m taking about FSD. NOT AP.

All I know is EAP was $5k, i paid it early. And got penalized. They offered EVERYTHING. FULL SELF DRIVING for the same price $5k. For those who did not pay $5k early.

Sure. Some people got screwed even more. But that does not make me feel any better.

Clearly there’s some issue. Because I’m not the only one complaining. There are more people than just me. And making people mad does not help Tesla in the long run. I have stopped recommending the cars already. Where as in 2018 I help sell a few cars and didn’t even get a referral bonus.