Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot visualizations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

First tesla and took delivery of MYLR7 a few days ago.

I am running 2021.3.106. While cruising around I have noticed that autopilot is often not picking up cars around me within visual distance and cars will flicker in and out. Have also driven down a street where visualization did not show a line of parked cars lining my side of the road. Is this normal? I have watched zillions of hours of videos of tesla vehicles and autopilot and I know items can flicker in and out but I always expected the system to visualize other objects more reliably.

The vehicle arrived with 15 miles and camera already calibrated. Is this normal? Should I recalibrate the cameras? Wait for updated firmware?

It’s normal for the system to only visualize some of the vehicles in view. It’s usually only the vehicles that you’re likely to interact with, i.e., not parked cars and often not oncoming traffic. The system is still aware of all of these vehicles, plotting their trajectories, etc.

It’s normal for the system to only visualize some of the vehicles in view. It’s usually only the vehicles that you’re likely to interact with, i.e., not parked cars and often not oncoming traffic. The system is still aware of all of these vehicles, plotting their trajectories, etc.
Totally makes sense, I don't ever remember that being called out in all of my tesla research. As long as the system is aware of these objects that's all that matters!

Reactions: Big Earl
Hello!

First tesla and took delivery of MYLR7 a few days ago.

I am running 2021.3.106. While cruising around I have noticed that autopilot is often not picking up cars around me within visual distance and cars will flicker in and out. Have also driven down a street where visualization did not show a line of parked cars lining my side of the road. Is this normal? I have watched zillions of hours of videos of tesla vehicles and autopilot and I know items can flicker in and out but I always expected the system to visualize other objects more reliably.

The vehicle arrived with 15 miles and camera already calibrated. Is this normal? Should I recalibrate the cameras? Wait for updated firmware?
Mine does similar things, so I guess it is either normal or multiple vehicles have the problem . On a two lane one way street cars were parked on both sides, but only about 70% of vehicles on the far side were picked up, none on the close side. One other funny thing is on trash day every trash container on both sides of the street are picked up. While it may be normal, it doesn't fill me with an abundance of confidence concerning trusting auto pilot.

Mine does similar things, so I guess it is either normal or multiple vehicles have the problem . On a two lane one way street cars were parked on both sides, but only about 70% of vehicles on the far side were picked up, none on the close side. One other funny thing is on trash day every trash container on both sides of the street are picked up. While it may be normal, it doesn't fill me with an abundance of confidence concerning trusting auto pilot.
Current AP doesnt support non highway driving. I know people use it in urban roads but you take that risk on your own.

This is totally "normal". These cars are not what you think they are. They are works in progress, they drive as good as if not better than most cars. But they are essentially software on wheels. They are glitchy, sometimes non responsive and sometimes just a pain in the azz. When everything is working they are fantastic. You have to go into it realizing that there are some learning curves to driving this type of vehicle.

Reactions: Sokoliem