Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer calibration after windshield replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a small chip and my windshield and just got it replaced yesterday. I used a glass installed in MA JNPhillips (They have been discussed here before) which Tesla recommend. I had to take my Model S to the shop (understandably) instead of a mobile tech. However, it seemed like the people at the location (Newburyport, MA) had never seen a Tesla before. They gave the standard glassy eyed stare and were asking all sorts of questions which I normally don't have a problem with except when you are about to work on my car.

This leads to my question: Is there anything special the tech was supposed to do after installing the windshield to re-aim the cameras or re-calibrate them? If there was I'm not confident they did. When I enable autosteer it immediately swerves into another lane. Driving along I do not see consistent lane markings on the display; it shakes around alot or has the faded (light grey) lane markings instead of the solid white. All of this while driving on a highway with clearly marked lanes.

I spoke to a rep at Tesla and they said it is an auto-calibrating system but it seems really off to me (completely unusable). Does anyone have experience with this?

Does anyone have experience with this?

This was a concern of mine when Tesla replaced my windshield about a week ago in my '17 Q1 MS60 (.46). I believe everything is working normally for me. It's possible the car is still just slightly off-center in the lane with EAP engaged.

If it were any worse, like your situation, I'd take it to the Tesla SC and ask them to figure it out. That may be more than just a simple auto-calibration.

• Helpful
Reactions: nyseman
Just had my windshield replaced a few days ago and as others have reported EAP was just unuseable. It couldn't follow the lanes and I had a few moments of excitement the first time I tried to use it. A few days later though a few hundred miles and its back to normal ops.

I had my windshield replaced (2015 85D AP1) and the tech told me they have to recalibrate the camera after doing that. However, it drove just fine immediately afterwards, except for the same issue it had before the replacement: when changing lanes, it goes WAY over to the extreme outside of the lane it changes into. That's really scary if there is a semi truck right next to you! Most times I have to pull it back into the center, which disengages the autosteer, or make the change when no vehicle is parallel.