Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoSteer limited to 50 mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i was driving on a US highway within the city that is 4 lanes with a 50 mph SL. I had the TACC speed limit set at 55 when I engaged AutoSteer. The car immediately slowed down to 50 and I received an “AutoSteer limited to 50 mph message”. I looked around and realized there was no median, just yellow lines dividing the lanes.

Then the car sped back up to 55 as the divider turned in to a grass median!

Pretty cool that the car can differentiate between the two!!

Reactions: NeverFollow
I saw something similar when using NoA on a US highway that is being upgraded to interstate standards. There are sections that have limited access and grass medians but do not yet have the steel cables in the middle of the median.

Each time I would pass one of these sections without cables I would get a “NoA will be disabled in 500 feet” message and the lines would change back to regular AutoSteer. As soon as we returned to a section with the steel cables the NoA would re-engage and the single line would appear.

i was driving on a US highway within the city that is 4 lanes with a 50 mph SL. I had the TACC speed limit set at 55 when I engaged AutoSteer. The car immediately slowed down to 50 and I received an “AutoSteer limited to 50 mph message”. I looked around and realized there was no median, just yellow lines dividing the lanes.

Then the car sped back up to 55 as the divider turned in to a grass median!

Pretty cool that the car can differentiate between the two!!
Yea, no. What you saw was a segment of road without speed limit on the map. I hate that Tesla does this. The road in front of my house is 50, but the car won't drive that fast

It’s fine when the map is correct, but it can be very frustrating to not have Autosteer available to you when Telsa’s speed limit and/or map data is wrong, and that happens more frequently than I’d like.

Hey, any of you guys on the continent are a big leg up on us poor schmucks on the neighbor islands of Hawaii... ;-)
I live on the Big Island and my Model 3 has never once, in the 5.5mos I've had it, displayed any speed limit, on any road, under any circumstances. So no Autosteer (at least no Autosteer above 45mph, because that's the speed it defaults to in absence of a confirmed speed limit) and no NoA. Tesla tells me that's because its maps for the Big Island are bad...

It's past time for Tesla to release a firmware with optical recognition of speed limits, as models with AP1 and pre-AP1 have. (Or at least they could switch to a better map provider ;-)

One can hope that, once AP3 is out, we'll have optical recognition of all regulatory road signs, but that's 6+ months away.

Reactions: jdcollins5