Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer missing Model S 6/2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just purchased a Tesla Model S 2018 built on June. It has Autopilot 2.5 hardware but no EAP. Shouldn’t it have a basic autosteer function however to keep the car in lane as standard? I tried to activate AP with two preses of the stalk but should try using just one perhaps. I thought all Teslas have at least basic lane steering functionality.

Reactions: Beinghuman2482
So I just purchased a Tesla Model S 2018 built on June. It has Autopilot 2.5 hardware but no EAP. Shouldn’t it have a basic autosteer function however to keep the car in lane as standard? I tried to activate AP with two preses of the stalk but should try using just one perhaps. I thought all Teslas have at least basic lane steering functionality.

Congratulations!

I can’t speak to your particular car but I can tell you that basic Autopilot (autosteer, also sometimes called “autopilot convenience features” back in the day) wasn’t always included the way it is on new Teslas sold today.

Your car probably should have TACC (traffic aware cruise control) however.

Bruce.

Reactions: entro
Thanks for the comments! Well that’s a bummer. Do you have info on If you are able to purchase the autosteer without enchansed autopilot and what would be the price in EU? I haven’t yet got access to the car via app as ownership is being transferred. I really just want it to automatically keep the lane and speed.

Basics first - if you go to the Software tab in the MCU menu, what does it show you for Autopilot functionality? Also when you say you tried to activate with two presses of the stalk are you pulling the stalk towards you? Pressing the stalk up or down will only activate the traffic aware cruise control. You have to pull it twice towards you to engage autopilot.

It only shows autopilot safety features. When I pull stalk once I get the cruise control on. Two pulls from the stalk doesn’t do anything additional.

Attachments

• IMG_2985.jpeg
    IMG_2985.jpeg
    391.2 KB · Views: 85
A 2018 Tesla didn’t have driver assistance features as standard, so you have basic (not adaptive) cruise control but nothing else. Once you own the car, you can check the upgrades section in the mobile app to see what options are available and their cost. I don’t know what basic AP costs these days, but that will give you TACC and Autosteer without Auto Lane Change.

A 2018 Tesla didn’t have driver assistance features as standard, so you have basic (not adaptive) cruise control but nothing else. Once you own the car, you can check the upgrades section in the mobile app to see what options are available and their cost. I don’t know what basic AP costs these days, but that will give you TACC and Autosteer without Auto Lane Change.
Thanks for the info. It seems I got to wait a week or so to get the car registered under my name and purchase the autopilot. I did some googling and it used to be around 2k some years prior. Hope Tesla will be nice and sells it for that price or less as it has been standard feature for a number of years and they meanwhile have been lowering the car prices also.

Few years ago it was around €3k (AP1, serviced at Vetokuja 1), now they might make it remotely as well. Best is via app. At that time they did not offered any discount. And to correct, you will get Auto Lane Change, but only on certain status of roads. EU has restricted previously flawless system. Your car might even get a quote for EAP as the hardware is AP2.5
Terveisiä edelästä!

Few years ago it was around €3k (AP1, serviced at Vetokuja 1), now they might make it remotely as well. Best is via app. At that time they did not offered any discount. And to correct, you will get Auto Lane Change, but only on certain status of roads. EU has restricted previously flawless system. Your car might even get a quote for EAP as the hardware is AP2.5
Terveisiä edelästä!
Tereveisiä vuaan!

Things moved on super fast. I tried just for fun if I could actually register the car and to my surprise it went through immediately. For anyone interested in similar situation the AP upgrade is 3200€, EAP is 7000€ and FSD is 10200€. Feels a bit steep compared to few years prior. Especially this bugs as I thought car would have the basic AP but that’s my own stupidity. I guess I have to cough up the basic AP money next then.

Does anyone have an idea if Tesla has sales events, e.g. at the end of a quarter or in holiday season etc.? I’m just wondering if I should buy this now before potential price increases or wait for some sale.

Attachments

• IMG_2992.png
    IMG_2992.png
    331.4 KB · Views: 46
Does anyone have an idea if Tesla has sales events, e.g. at the end of a quarter or in holiday season etc.? I’m just wondering if I should buy this now before potential price increases or wait for some sale.
In the US anyway, sales on AP packages are uncommon. For example, the last sale I can remember for FSD was in 2019. If you want one of the packages, buy it now (or subscribe if possible).