Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer penalty box for going too fast?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, was driving on a 2 hr hiway trip using AP. I went to pass a cluster of cars, nice open road (I think I was on AP, but not 100% sure). All of a sudden I get the red steering wheel and angry beep and it said something like "autosteer not available for the rest of the trip due to exceeding autosteer speed limit". I probably had it up to around 90-92 on a 70mph road. I don't have any type of speed limit set in my controls. Is there a max speed number where you get booted from autosteer? It still let me do cruise control. I had to stop and put it in P to use autosteer again.

So, was driving on a 2 hr hiway trip using AP. I went to pass a cluster of cars, nice open road (I think I was on AP, but not 100% sure). All of a sudden I get the red steering wheel and angry beep and it said something like "autosteer not available for the rest of the trip due to exceeding autosteer speed limit". I probably had it up to around 90-92 on a 70mph road. I don't have any type of speed limit set in my controls. Is there a max speed number where you get booted from autosteer? It still let me do cruise control. I had to stop and put it in P to use autosteer again.

90mph. It is that speed for all cruise control systems.

Reactions: Shelburne and dgb62
The top limit of setting FSD is 90 mph. The error message and penalty hits at 95 mph.
A rather silly action -- to cancel autosteer for rest of trip -- as this is precisely the type of compromised driver that needs autosteer (once speed goes below 90).

So if you are on FSD and need to temporarily go 90+, then click right stalk up to cancel autosteer prior to your acceleration burst, then double-click back down when done.

Reactions: dgb62
Ha, Ha. I suffered my first AP jail today myself. Forgot to take it out of auto steer and goosed it up to 93mph to get around a cattle truck that was spilling urine all over the highway. Had to steer by myself for the next 43 miles before I could re-start my trip. It did let me use TACC, thank God.

AP jail, stop and go penalty, love the nicknames. Just a guess it may be for someone that falls asleep and hits the accelerator. Wakes there a$$ up and denies AP. Does suck for those of us that gets suck in the penalty box for momentarily stepping on it... Same with me, stop, park, then its all good again.

I’ve only had this error twice in three years-once due to AP wheel nags, once due to overtaking speed like the OP. I know the AP nag one gets resolved by park, and I think I remember the speed one getting resolved the same.