Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer terrible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been trying autosteer on the freeway on and off since I got the car at the end of last year, and uniformly every time I use it the car either tries to hug one edge of the lane being way too close to the cars in that lane, or oscillates back and forth between edges of the lane within seconds of turning it on such that is too scary to keep enabled and I toggle it off immediately. I've watched and the visualization shows the lane markers clearly so there isn't ambiguity there, and I'm not driving at some horrible time for the sun.. so I don't know what is going on, but it seems completely unusable.

Is this the kind of experience everyone else is having as well? I can't even comprehend FSD when I can't even get my car to drive sanely within clearly marked lanes.

When you activate the autopilot and the car is not where autopilot wants it, then it steers instantly to its target position. Don't worry too much about this. If the autopilot really makes a mistake, which I have yet to experience, you can just grab the steering wheel and steer wherever you like. This will instantly deactivate autosteer.

Some people tend to drive on the outer side of the lane, perhaps because they want to keep their head and eyes in the middle of the lane. Perhaps this is your normal style of driving. Autopilot tends to drive a bit more on the driver side of the lane. I would recommend to just try again and let it drive for a while. This isn't really a problem. You will see that the autopilot keeps a sufficient distance to the dividing line on the driver side. You can check on this in the rear-viewing mirror.

On narrow two-lane country roads it can become a problem, if a truck comes towards you and drives on or very near to the center dividing line. In that case just steer away from it, thereby deactivating autosteer, or disable the autopilot and then steer away from the oncoming traffic. Once passed, you can re-enable autopilot.

On divided freeways/motorways with normal-width lanes there is no such problem.

I do think that the autopilot could drive a bit more intelligently and steer away from oncoming traffic, just as humans usually do, then return to hugging the centerline after the oncoming traffic has passed. But we may have to wait a while for this functionality. Meanwhile we have to do this by hand when needed.

I've been trying autosteer on the freeway on and off since I got the car at the end of last year, and uniformly every time I use it the car either tries to hug one edge of the lane being way too close to the cars in that lane, or oscillates back and forth between edges of the lane within seconds of turning it on such that is too scary to keep enabled and I toggle it off immediately. I've watched and the visualization shows the lane markers clearly so there isn't ambiguity there, and I'm not driving at some horrible time for the sun.. so I don't know what is going on, but it seems completely unusable.

Is this the kind of experience everyone else is having as well? I can't even comprehend FSD when I can't even get my car to drive sanely within clearly marked lanes.

Driving a SR+ TM3 in Southern California with Basic AP and experience this frequently on the Interstate 10 between Los Angeles and Ontario California and other interchanges. Also frequently have False Positive Automatic Breaking where the AP stops for a piece of paper on the road, another driver moving towards the lane separator line, or in other unnecessary circumstances. Would hope Basic Autopilot has less False Positives in the future.

Are you sure you have actually engaged auto steer? Is the steering wheel icon blue?

If you think auto steer is on, but it is not, it feels a lot like what you are describing. The lane departure assist feature will push you back into the lane when you drift out, but it doesn't keep you centered.

It took me a while to figure out how to time the double-click right. I tended to do the double click too quickly and the car would interpret it as a single click and just do cruise control without auto steer.