Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer - turned into curb on first corner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Macdory

Jun 11, 2020
UK
Really miffed - tried out Autosteer on my Model 3 for the first time today and 300 yards down the road there is a left turn, the car slowed down and started to turn into the corner fine and then just sharply turned more and hit the curb before I could react ... I managed to grab the wheel and stop it mounting the pavement, but I now have curb rash on one of my alloys ...

In all my years of driving I have never damaged an alloy ... technically, I still haven't as the car did it ... !!!

Do Tesla offer a repair service for damage caused by Autosteer not working correctly? I have the dash-cam footage.

Technically "City Driving" has not been enabled yet. While there are some with HW3.0 and FSD that have the stop at stop lights/signs feature, it is not fully developed and is considered beta. Auto Steer on country roads that are hilly and curvy have the most issues, as the system cannot reliably make out where the lines are. If there are section where lines are not visible, this presents an even greater challenge to Auto Steer. If you are going to use the feature in these conditions, then you have to be ready to take over at a moments notice. It does a lot better on more tradition city streets that have less curves and less hills, but even in city location where there are lots of curves and hills you still need to be ready to assume control. Highways are a lot better for Auto Steer, but even some of the more aggressive curves can cause similar issues.

I had a similar situation the day I got my car… I misunderstood how Autopilot handles exit ramps and had to overpower the steering to take the exit. The car reacted faster than I planned and I almost spun out. It was similar because I misunderstood the capabilities of the system and wasn’t prepared.

The difference is that I understood that I was still responsible… Had I spun the car into a pole it would’ve been my fault, not Tesla’s.

That sucks, I feel for you. Damaging a new car feels like a sucker punch. But I think this happened because you misunderstood the system, just like I did, which doesn’t make it the car’s fault.

Really miffed - tried out Autosteer on my Model 3 for the first time today and 300 yards down the road there is a left turn, the car slowed down and started to turn into the corner fine and then just sharply turned more and hit the curb before I could react ... I managed to grab the wheel and stop it mounting the pavement, but I now have curb rash on one of my alloys ...

In all my years of driving I have never damaged an alloy ... technically, I still haven't as the car did it ... !!!

Do Tesla offer a repair service for damage caused by Autosteer not working correctly? I have the dash-cam footage.

Absolutely......every time Autosteer curbs a rim just take the car in to the nearest Service Center. Tesla will Immediately replace the wheel no questions asked. Customer Service is priority number One. It’s the new Tesla. That’s why the stock is at $1,000 per share.

Ski

Auto Steer on country roads that are hilly and curvy have the most issues, as the system cannot reliably make out where the lines are.
Well, I would agree with that statement until the recent updates to my car in the last month. It is now performing flawlessly on some very nasty curvy hilly roads here. I was amazed it worked in places during the last 3 weeks where I would have never trusted it before. Maybe not perfect in some areas, yet for me, it is working fine now. It slows as necessary on curves and does well even when the lines are not consistent on both sides of the road. Maybe we are talking about two different things. I am using AP for those roads rather than just auto steer.

I've found the recognition of paths is quite good, even in ambiguous situations as faded lane markings, lane splitting or lane merges, etc etc .... at least based on looking at the rendering on the screen, the car doesnt have a problem with knowing where the lane is.

the problem is that it takes unnatural radii through turns, so when i have my hands on the wheels (which we're supposed to do!), my natural tendency to correct the line cancels autosteer.

for example, in a curve, most drivers have a tendency to hug the inside track. the car tends to stick to the steadfast middle track. so in a parallel curve, letting the car steer results in you converging to the outside vehicle.

Well, I would agree with that statement until the recent updates to my car in the last month. It is now performing flawlessly on some very nasty curvy hilly roads here. I was amazed it worked in places during the last 3 weeks where I would have never trusted it before. Maybe not perfect in some areas, yet for me, it is working fine now. It slows as necessary on curves and does well even when the lines are not consistent on both sides of the road. Maybe we are talking about two different things. I am using AP for those roads rather than just auto steer.
I'm still on HW 2.5, so that may account for the differences between our experiences. I have heard that AP functionality is noticeably improved with HW 3.0. But this doesn't account for the OP's experience, having a brand new M3 with HW 3.0. But like you said, even HW 3.0 it's not perfect, so this likely falls into that category.

I am using AP for those roads rather than just auto steer.
I thought AP and AutoSteer were the same thing? The only time the car steers itself is when AP, EAP, or NoA are activated (excluding Summon where the car is driverless).

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
[QUOTE="TX_M3P+, post: 4750541, member: 131305

I thought AP and AutoSteer were the same thing? The only time the car steers itself is when AP, EAP, or NoA are activated (excluding Summon where the car is driverless).[/QUOTE]

Maybe you are right. I have not done a real study of this and haven't asked anyone at the factory. I have noticed in MY CAR that autosteer on a curvy road does not adjust the speed downward on tight curves, but auto pilot did when necessary. Now you have me curious so I am going to ask about that next time out at the factory.

I'm still on HW 2.5, so that may account for the differences between our experiences. I have heard that AP functionality is noticeably improved with HW 3.0. But this doesn't account for the OP's experience, having a brand new M3 with HW 3.0. But like you said, even HW 3.0 it's not perfect, so this likely falls into that category.

QUOTE]
Oh, sorry I forgot. I am NOT on HW3. I am on HW2 and the car is now performing very nicely on those curvy hilly roads. Didn't do that just a couple months ago on a prior version. I am not sure when it got better. I am now on 2020.12

From the Owner's Manual...

upload_2020-6-11_12-43-40.png

upload_2020-6-11_12-44-45.png

Regarding the speed to activate, I wonder if this manual is out of date. I notice with my recent update, I can initiate auto steer as low as 5 MPH in my X100, thus I suspect it is the same for all models with same version. It is nice to have when I want to slowly cruise through a scenic area with no traffic behind me and have time to take in the sights :)

Reactions: smatthew