Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer - turned into curb on first corner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really miffed - tried out Autosteer on my Model 3 for the first time today and 300 yards down the road there is a left turn, the car slowed down and started to turn into the corner fine and then just sharply turned more and hit the curb before I could react ... I managed to grab the wheel and stop it mounting the pavement, but I now have curb rash on one of my alloys ...

In all my years of driving I have never damaged an alloy ... technically, I still haven't as the car did it ... !!!

Do Tesla offer a repair service for damage caused by Autosteer not working correctly? I have the dash-cam footage.
Autosteer??? Is this something new?? I’m confused!!

I see a number of comments telling me I should have had my hands on the wheel - I did. When the car decided to deviate from the easy left hand turn it was doing to suddenly over steer into the bend I was able to grab it, but the car was only ~1ft away from the curb when turning and with the sudden sharp turn I was unable to react before it clipped the curb

The car is not able to make sharp/tight turns.

I see a number of comments telling me I should have had my hands on the wheel - I did. When the car decided to deviate from the easy left hand turn it was doing to suddenly over steer into the bend I was able to grab it, but the car was only ~1ft away from the curb when turning and with the sudden sharp turn I was unable to react before it clipped the curb - it basically tried to shave around 2-3ft off the apex and would have been on the path if I had not grabbed it.

The road is an A-class road in the UK and has clear white lines down the middle and the corner is ~20 -30 degrees.
I would revisit the same road and see if Tesla deep learning has made any improvements

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
However, this is somewhat counter-intuitive to having a feature called "Auto Stop at Stop Lights/Sings" as this implies using the Auto Steer feature on city streets.
There are stoplights and stop signs outside of anything resembling an urban area, even on full blown highways, too.

An example: Google Maps

Drop down to street view and you'll see the stop signs. Wide open farmland as far a the eye can see....which is really far given the terrain. :)

EDIT: Well on a very clear day IIRC you can make out the Rocky Mountains, but that's roughly 100 miles away.

Last edited:
Did you also catch the part where the system is not intended to be used on roads that have tight turns and curbs?

Pages 118 and 119 in the EU owners manual specifically.

Damn, I only got up to page 115 ... if only ... (seriously, haven't read the manual ... I'd hazard a guess that I may not be on my own with that one)???
Just an idea, but if Autosteer is not meant for this kind of road, couldn't they just stop it engaging unless you are on the "right" kind of road?

There are stoplights and stop signs outside of anything resembling an urban area, even on full blown highways, too.

An example: Google Maps

Drop down to street view and you'll see the stop signs. Wide open farmland as far a the eye can see....which is really far given the terrain. :)

EDIT: Well on a very clear day IIRC you can make out the Rocky Mountains, but that's roughly 100 miles away.
Agreed, but stop lights and stop sign are far more uncommon on freeways and highways vs city streets and I think the vast majority of people using this feature are using it on city streets (based on all the YouTube videos I have watched). I think if people only used this feature when on highways or freeways Tesla would not be getting car data from a mass majority of drivers. When used on city streets they get data from just about everyone using the feature.

It is still an undocumented feature in the Owners Manual, so it will be interesting to see what Tesla's recommendations will be for this feature once they add it to the feature list.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Agreed, but stop lights and stop sign are far more uncommon on freeways and highways vs city streets and I think the vast majority of people using this feature are using it on city streets (based on all the YouTube videos I have watched). I think if people only used this feature when on highways or freeways Tesla would not be getting car data from a mass majority of drivers. When used on city streets they get data from just about everyone using the feature.

It is still an undocumented feature in the Owners Manual, so it will be interesting to see what Tesla's recommendations will be for this feature once they add it to the feature list.
True Tesla has long been coy about this, in truth there is a LOT of nebulous area about what constitutes “city streets”.

I’ve even long, in part, ran AP myself on what I can’t really argue aren’t city streets. I find AP pretty good at that.

But the stretch of road that really drove my desire for the stoplight support is flat out highway, labeled so by the State & outside any incorporated area.

So they’re getting real non-city data, too.

I don’t believe auto steer (autopilot?) should be used on non-highway roads still. I would be very curious to see the route... most highways have gradual curves and many don’t have curbs...

Agreed. I will turn it on on non-highway roads just to see how it works but my hands never leave the steering wheel while doing so. I've had one too many hard stops or sharp turns out of the blue when the system loses track of street lines.

Damn, I only got up to page 115 ... if only ... (seriously, haven't read the manual ... I'd hazard a guess that I may not be on my own with that one)???
Just an idea, but if Autosteer is not meant for this kind of road, couldn't they just stop it engaging unless you are on the "right" kind of road?

They could- but since they rely on (often incorrect) map data to determine type of road and other things they tend to let the human driver determine that- based on the direction provided in the manual.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff Hudson

I'm sorry to be harsh, but this kind of logic is ridiculous. You're in a car worth tens of thousands of pounds and you're letting it take control of the wheel - you are the one who is responsible for making these decisions and you should have taken much more responsibilty for your actions.

I see a number of comments telling me I should have had my hands on the wheel - I did. When the car decided to deviate from the easy left hand turn it was doing to suddenly over steer into the bend I was able to grab it, but the car was only ~1ft away from the curb when turning and with the sudden sharp turn I was unable to react before it clipped the curb - it basically tried to shave around 2-3ft off the apex and would have been on the path if I had not grabbed it.

The road is an A-class road in the UK and has clear white lines down the middle and the corner is ~20 -30 degrees.
It sounds like you're trying to kill yourself. The car cannot make turns at intersections. Occasionally, it will try and succeed - usually only if there is a car right in front of you that it can follow. That is very rare and non intended behaviour.
I hope and pray that you take the time to read the manual. This is an amazing car, but it does not function identically to cars you have had in the past. You need to be proactive about driving.

Since you have't read the manual, I'll leave you with this. If you leave a passenger in the car, please turn on camp mode before walking away. Having sentry mode engage with a passenger waiting in the car is not a fun experience for anyone.

Did you also catch the part where the system is not intended to be used on roads that have tight turns and curbs?

Pages 118 and 119 in the EU owners manual specifically.
In the US manual the warning for curvy roads is in the TACC section...

pg92.
upload_2020-6-12_13-53-18.png

However, the manual does say that Auto-Steer is build upon the TACC features...
upload_2020-6-12_14-38-37.png

I couldn't find anything in the Auto Steer section that stated directly it's not mean to be used on curvy roads, but it does say this...

upload_2020-6-12_14-40-10.png

I think this covers when Auto Steer should and shouldn't be used pretty clearly and is a testament as to why Tesla owners should read and understand the Owner's Manual.

Last edited:
In the US manual the warning for curvy roads is in the TACC section...

pg92.
View attachment 550835

However, the manual does say that Auto-Steer is build upon the TACC features...
View attachment 550855

I couldn't find anything in the Auto Steer section that stated directly it's not mean to be used on curvy roads, but it does say this...

View attachment 550858

I think this covers when Auto Steer should and shouldn't be used pretty clearly and is a testament as to why Tesla owners should ready and understand the Owner's Manual.
Curvy roads are fine - as long as you keep your hand on the wheel. I've had the car throw a Red-Hand "Oh Shoot - Take Control Now" when going around a severe curve. If I had been distracted I might not be alive.
It's like a game - will my Tesla drive this road correctly? but there are no save points, and no extra lives. So drive carefully.