Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aux 12v battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you get into a Tesla if the 12v is dead?
A brick.
Or apply 12VDC to the jumper posts in the frunk.
Answer: we don't know.
The exterior door handles are mechanical so no power needed. Now if the doors are locked you will need power. One attendee at the Release Party reported that there is a slot at the side window with a mechanical lock release that you can use with the key card to release. I don't know what you do about security, therefore I have my doubts about this report.

I wonder if door locks work off the propulsion batteries rather than a stand along battery or maybe there is an auto override if the stand alone battery is dead. Maybe there is no stand alone battery and everything works off the battery pack?

The exterior door handles are mechanical so no power needed. Now if the doors are locked you will need power. One attendee at the Release Party reported that there is a slot at the side window with a mechanical lock release that you can use with the key card to release. I don't know what you do about security, therefore I have my doubts about this report.

I wonder if door locks work off the propulsion batteries rather than a stand along battery or maybe there is an auto override if the stand alone battery is dead. Maybe there is no stand alone battery and everything works off the battery pack?

I don't see any reason why it would be different than the Model S. You can always get out from inside.

Oh, I understand that, but the question is, how do you get INSIDE if the doors are locked and the 12v battery is dead. Any ideas, other than jumper cables to some exterior terminals?
The battery would have to be super dead... there's a difference between when the car won't start vs totally flat and unable to unlock the doors.

Get one of these
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015TKPT1A/ref=dp_cerb_1?th=1

Reactions: PJFW8
Any ideas on where the 12V is located? Is it under the frunk?
Usually, yes. Unless things are dramatically different on the three which I doubt.
Is the frunk lid mechanical or electric? If the car is dead and locked, how do you get inside to release the frunk lid, whether mechanical or electric, to get to the battery terminals? Your pocket backup power supply requires access to the terminals and that you carry it on your person.

I know that Tesla has provided a failsafe workaround, I just don't know what that is yet.

Is the frunk lid mechanical or electric? If the car is dead and locked, how do you get inside to release the frunk lid, whether mechanical or electric, to get to the battery terminals? Your pocket backup power supply requires access to the terminals and that you carry it on your person.

I know that Tesla has provided a failsafe workaround, I just don't know what that is yet.
On the Model S you could only open up the frunk from the infotainment system, but there should be a manual way to open it as well.

I don't think anybody does, but presumably it's similar to the Model S one. The real answer as to what you do in this situation is "call Tesla".

In the model S and X there's a mechanical release in the front for first responders. You cannot lock the frunk on a Tesla... keep that in mind.

AEkOvAt.png

• Informative
Reactions: GMan324
In the model S and X there's a mechanical release in the front for first responders. You cannot lock the frunk on a Tesla... keep that in mind.

AEkOvAt.png
Believe that is only for the pre-refresh S cars. The refresh cars and X have it in the right corner (looking from the front) of the lower intake on the bumper. I assume it is the same for LH and RH drive cars. I know it was a big "controversy" and people were losing their mind over it.