Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Available in Tesla Shop: OEM Model Y PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, tempting as I do see a few sparkles in that area on my DBM Y (only about 2000 miles in). Can the ppf be securely applied on top of my Model Y that has been ceramic coated, or I'd have better to prep the surface first?

I installed Xpel rocker panel PPF at around 400 miles on my MY over OptiCoat ceramic coating, and now have over 5K miles, most of that highway. All I did was prep the service with 91% alcohol, then follow the Xpel install directions, and have had no issues through the past 3 seasons, and for the past 2+ months, I've had to keep the car outside in East Coast winter, and no issues with peeling.

• Informative
Reactions: Innervate
Hmm, tempting as I do see a few sparkles in that area on my DBM Y (only about 2000 miles in). Can the ppf be securely applied on top of my Model Y that has been ceramic coated, or I'd have better to prep the surface first?

PPF can't be placed on a ceramic coated surface. When I was getting quotes on PPF and ceramic coating my Y, they said they PPF first then ceramic coat.

Edit: Oops didn't see the reply above. Maybe it will work in some cases, but the standard process is PPF first then ceramic. There must be a good scientific reason for that.

really should have come installed on all MYs as just driving on freeway for a few hundred miles will damage those doors.. at the most should be $20.. would also save a lot of frustration with owners and service centers looking at issue.

This looks exactly like the FACTORY applied ppf on my buddy's Toyota Tundra. It's a shame we have to pay extra for something that is a necessity.

Ridiculous price for two little pieces of film.
I didn't realize it at the time but my 1997 Honda CR-V had very similar (but smaller) paint protection on the rear doors when new from the factory. When one of the doors had to be replaced in 1999, I remember the body shop charged me about $25 for the PPF on the one new door. I thought it was overpriced at the time and I'm surprised the price hasn't really for up in 20 years.

These days, there are lots of other options. You could just buy a small sheet of PPF and cut it yourself but the Tesla option is already cut to fit, saving some installation time. I'm sure others offer the file online that can be used on a Cameo or Cricut to cut your own automatically.

I’m preparing to install these on my MY but it says to do so in warm conditions. It is probably around freezing temperature around here. Do we think using a light heat gun/blow drier on it once it’s placed will suffice?

I’m thinking any negative cosmetic side effects (besides failing to adhere) will be offset but the protection that it will provide over the winter. After which I can always repurchase and install in the winter if it’s a big problem.

Ordered this like a month ago and Tesla still hasn't shipped them, I guess they are either not stocking them for summer or shipping them to locations where they are installing it for free. But it looks like the Model 3 film is back in stock so hopefully the Model Y one comes in stock soon.

Wish I had purchased it back when they had that price mistake of it being $40 instead of $50 for a day or two so that I would have it on hand as now I am just waiting on this to come so I can install it and then paint correct and DIY ceramic coat the car..

Ordered this like a month ago and Tesla still hasn't shipped them, I guess they are either not stocking them for summer or shipping them to locations where they are installing it for free. But it looks like the Model 3 film is back in stock so hopefully the Model Y one comes in stock soon.

Wish I had purchased it back when they had that price mistake of it being $40 instead of $50 for a day or two so that I would have it on hand as now I am just waiting on this to come so I can install it and then paint correct and DIY ceramic coat the car..
Same, I ordered about a month ago when it popped up back in stock for a few hours but it hasn't shipped yet. Strangely, they charged my card immediately.

Guys, you don't need precut if you do ppf on doors. It's so easy. Follow this, you have 4 doors covered with $50 only
I don't know, this looks a lot more involved than the easy pre-cut pieces. This method involves using a razor near your paint, wrapping and a heat gun around the edges. To be honest, I'm curious how well those edges are going to hold up especially in the brutally cold winters I have in my area.

I don't know, this looks a lot more involved than the easy pre-cut pieces. This method involves using a razor near your paint, wrapping and a heat gun around the edges. To be honest, I'm curious how well those edges are going to hold up especially in the brutally cold winters I have in my area.
I did mine with rolls of 3M PPF over 6 months ago and it's still holding up to the elements (I posted on first page on post 14). I can feel a bit of roughness on the PPF where debris has hit the film. I also installed the Tesla mudflaps in spring as well, so cars without PPF or mudflaps would definitley get sandblasted if I have flaps and can still feel roughness on the PPF. The 3M film hasn't discolored yet in the 6 months, but you have to clean off the dirt on the edge particularly on a white colored car. I usually wash it every two weeks by hand and occasionally go through a touchless car wash about once per month when I get lazy or it's too hot outside to handwash.

Reactions: suprax
I’m preparing to install these on my MY but it says to do so in warm conditions. It is probably around freezing temperature around here. Do we think using a light heat gun/blow drier on it once it’s placed will suffice?

I’m thinking any negative cosmetic side effects (besides failing to adhere) will be offset but the protection that it will provide over the winter. After which I can always repurchase and install in the winter if it’s a big problem.
How did it go?

How did it go?
b18b8531-e114-4f1d-b4ee-f39d922f6428-jpeg.693887

Luckily I hadn't installed them at the time. I just got the vehicle back from the body shop. I'll try to finish it before winter rolls back around!

Reactions: laservet