Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average gasoline price in the app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my Model 3 LR for about two weeks now and have enough chargings to see the “Gas Savings” in the app. I noticed the estimated average has of gas cost in Michigan is listed at $4.71 per gallon. This seems to be the cost of premium grade gas. I pretty much use regular grade gas in my ICE vehicle, which on average costs also about a dollar less than premium. So the comparison between the amount spent on electricity for the Tesla and the amount I would have spent on gas isn’t really valid. Is there a way to change the average cost of gasoline in the app?

Reactions: dhrivnak
So I just noticed the app now shows the month gas averages for Michigan (assuming that's what op found in Sept.), however it is grossly inflated if considering that the Model 3 would take 87 octane like a normal sedan. Current average is $3.31 but Tesla is saying 25% more at $4.25. Sauce

Since our vehicles operate more along the lines of a performance sedan, even if that's not why you purchased or use it, it compares it to premium fuel prices.

I also don't like this, because I haven't and wouldn't have purchased another vehicle that requires premium fuel, just like why I didn't buy my Model 3 for performance (or buy the performance model).

It'd be great if we could choose the fuel type for comparison based on our driving habits.

Screenshot_20230106-145818.png

The reason why Tesla doesn't allow us to change the gas price is because the app inflated the gas price by a huge margin to over justified that we're saving money between electricity vs gas. It's showing $4.30 when I've been paying $2.90 in my area... for the past 8 months.

"Comparable" gas vehicle is doing all the heavy lifting when it comes to tesla's savings.

In my path to reduce my carbon footprint we went from 2 ICE to one and shortly after that one (a Honda Odyssey) became a used Prius. That was too small for us on road trips so after a couple of years we bought a new Prius V. That was absolutely perfect for us. After 8 years, we were ready to trade up for something with better ADAS but effin Toyota had discontinued the V in Canada. Given delivery availability (it was 2020 and 18 months for the PriusV replacement of a Rav4 hybrid, or 9 months for Kona hybrid) we ended up with a MY. Size was important since we park in an underground garage. The My is a bit bigger (but less usable space in the back because of the slope of the backhatch.) Not the crossover station wagon I wanted but OK (height of seats is important to me since I have bad knees/back/hips and getting in and out of the car easily is very important to me.)

When I bought the car and in all other calculations, I'm comparing to my lifetime 5.3L/100km on the PriusV not whatever crap tesla decides I must have been driving and how I was driving it since I bought a tesla. Especially on road trips where the price comparison is to SC, not charging at home.