Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average Wh/mi since owning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla tech that replaced my 12 volt battery change six months ago, said to change out tires at anything less then 4 due to hydroplaning! I got a new set of Michelin’s last week at 16,000 miles on my original tires. Heavy right foot..
I remember a long time ago was trading in a 3 series in about a week, I knew tyres had got down pretty low but still legal and obviously didn’t want to waste money replacing them when it wasn’t going to be my car soon.

Anyway normal rain and didn’t have much issue but got caught out in an absolutely massive dump of rain from the heavens on a motorway. I had to slow down to about 50, maybe a bit under even as anything above it was constantly losing traction. First time it did it at 70 was a bit hair raising.

Long story short, the guy is onto something :) 99.9% of the time you’ll be fine but if you get a super heavy down pour with low tread, really slow down.

Reactions: Stan930
I remember a long time ago was trading in a 3 series in about a week, I knew tyres had got down pretty low but still legal and obviously didn’t want to waste money replacing them when it wasn’t going to be my car soon.

Anyway normal rain and didn’t have much issue but got caught out in an absolutely massive dump of rain from the heavens on a motorway. I had to slow down to about 50, maybe a bit under even as anything above it was constantly losing traction. First time it did it at 70 was a bit hair raising.

Long story short, the guy is onto something :) 99.9% of the time you’ll be fine but if you get a super heavy down pour with low tread, really slow down.
Interesting. Not had this so far but still on the original set of tyres and they are getting low. Considering getting a few more months out of them when I swap the winters out but might not after reading this.

• Helpful
Reactions: Stan930
Interesting. Not had this so far but still on the original set of tyres and they are getting low. Considering getting a few more months out of them when I swap the winters out but might not after reading this.
I think it depends on the surface and how well the water drains off it. In this case it was raining so hard it was struggling and starting to pool a little in places. Many vehicles though were still going 70 without issue but if I started to go a bit faster than 50 odd I’d start to aquaplane. Sure if I had more tread it would have been fine.

Reactions: Stan930 and M1tch