Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Avoid Mororways' option in Nav

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted this badly last night. The M11 was closed southbound at junction 8, so I needed to find a non motorway route home. I looked at the map on the screen an found my way around it but it was some few miles before it finally ignored the M11 and routed me home another way.

To avoid closures to may find something like the waze phone app useful. There’s a team of local editors and automations via Highways Agency real-time closures data

fullsizeoutput_fe9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_fe3.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: ringi
this is one of my biggest issues with the satnav. After getting my Leaf 5+ years back the only redeeming feature of it's over priced and out of date navigation system is it always gave you Fastest/Shortest/Eco route options as well as the usual avoid motorways and tolls.
This was a bit of a revelation as I saw that sometimes you could completely avoid the motorway, travel down some lovely country roads and only take 5 minutes longer.
I often used the eco route option even if I had plenty of charge to keep clear of the larger congested roads.
Not having this in the Tesla is a big step backwards for me, because I don't want to always be pushed onto dull motorways and dual carriageways. We've got some lovely A and B roads that are FAR more enjoyable, especially in a capable car.

Shouldnt the satnav have looked for a clear route if another route is 10 minutes faster (or whatever you set)

Youd think traffic would have picked this up and helped out automatically?

One issue is that they don't predict what traphic will be like later when everyone else's satnav have send them into the same road as you. Hence just bypassing the section of the moterway that is closed is often not the best option.

Tesla traffic is terrible now. Still rely on Waze. It shows the traffic, but does nothing with the info. Even on short journeys.
I hope they sort it soon. One less reason for monthly premium connectivity!

Reactions: MrBadger
It's not. It's from other teslas that have been that way recently. 'Recently' however is not defined. If you load Google maps on a phone, it's real time traffic data and looks quite different to the traffic data on the Nav screen in the car.
The traffic orange/red visualisations are identical to google maps for me, down to individual segments on a roundabout and the specific shape of those segments

DA78E652-7C68-42C9-9A2D-0C1E643DBE4D.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: rotor2k
I wanted this badly last night. The M11 was closed southbound at junction 8, so I needed to find a non motorway route home. I looked at the map on the screen an found my way around it but it was some few miles before it finally ignored the M11 and routed me home another way.
I experienced exactly the same issue (with the same road!) yesterday.
It is very disappointing that Tesla NAV does not provide the "avoid motorways" option that is available in every other system that I have used.

Heading south down the M90 to Edinburgh for the rugby yesterday the sat nav wanted to reroute me off the motorway well north of Dunfermline. I ignored the first reroute only to run almost immediately into a queue of slow moving motorway traffic heading for the Queensferry Crossing which is some 10 miles further south (rugby and train strike don’t make a good combination!). So I took the next reroute suggested by the satnav and sailed through all the back roads to rejoin the M90 at the Queensferry Crossing. This probably saved me a good hour or so so well done (in this instance) Tesla sat nav.