Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awaiting M3, what should I do before driving it away?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!
I ordered a used 2019 M3 LRA with FSD from Tesla. It has 4,000 miles on it. I don't have much trepidation about ordering a used car, since I did the same for my current Avalon. The M3 will be delivered on 8/20 in Cincinnati. I have already done the prescribed stuff: secured financing from my credit union (2.99% for 60 months), and alerted my insurance carrier (GEICO). An electrician checked my breaker box and said he can install a 50 Amp plug, but to wait until the car is here. The Tesla wall charger is out-of-stock, so I'll use the mobile charger for a while. Though I live in a small town there are three free 7.2kW ChargePoint stations within a mile or so from me.

What other steps should I take before getting delivery of the M3? Anything I should I ask at the dealership next week?

Thanks in advance.

For the boost, try the car out first. It is pretty fast as it is, but with the boost, it's REALLY fast. Full disclosure - I got it and rarely use full throttle (but I can and glad I can be faster than anything except a supercar or a Tesla M3P or S).
You should get a new vehicle checklist before you accept the car to be sure all systems work (windows, chargers), no major paint defects, you have the mobile charger with the adapters, tires in good shape.
I did not get a wall charger, as the speed of a mobile charger with a 14-50 plug is the same as that of the wall charger. The wall charger looks better but not worth the money to me.
In the interim, a 110-volt charger will get you about 3 - 5 miles range per hour, so that might work until you get the 14-50 installed
You may also want to look at any modifications (console wrap, all-weather mats, screen protector) that you may want to take. One thing that many object to is the piano black center console. A matte or carbon fiber wrap looks good. And yes, a screen protector is useful - my protector already did its job.
If you can, take a test drive to see if there's any wind noise (window seals aren't perfect) BEFORE you take possession.
And best of all, congratulations and enjoy your new ride.

Yes don’t get a wall charger, just install a 15-40 plug. I also have geico, I compared prices with Gabi.com and geico was the cheapest option For the coverage I wanted, plus I have had good experiences dealing with them.

good luck and enjoy you 3

A lot depends on your zip code with insurance. But apples to apples, for me Progressive is the cheapest and Geico is way off the charts. I've had Geico for 20 years, but I'll be leaving them. They're about double Progressive's rate. My SA warned me Geico would be quite high.

I've had Geico for at least six years, no accidents, no tickets, and stellar credit. My rate would almost triple if I used them for my M3. Progressive is coming in with my current rate so of course, I will be transferring to Progressive. I echo everyone else on the thread to really take a look at Progressive.

• Informative
Reactions: Spacep0d

See, the speed demon in me would never ask 'why'? I would just ask, how much faster? You're right though, going too fast does put you at-risk of other problems that are best avoided. I come from the motorcycle world (sportbikes) so I wanted the fastest M3 I could get.

By the way, I'm so jelly that you can just have someone install a proper L2 charger! My home is only 60a (I know, pathetic) so I gotta jump through some hoops to make it happen. Enjoy your vehicle!