Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awaiting repair # 8 & 9 next week.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really like the car when it works but my dual motor 3, less than 2 years old is getting 8th and 9th repair (I hope) next week. Service has been poor on average and lately they just ignore texts and have had them cancel service appointments without even looking at the car. Will be shopping for a Mini next year instead of a Tesla.

I really like the car when it works but my dual motor 3, less than 2 years old is getting 8th and 9th repair (I hope) next week. Service has been poor on average and lately they just ignore texts and have had them cancel service appointments without even looking at the car. Will be shopping for a Mini next year instead of a Tesla.
What repairs have you had? I’ve had mine about the same length of time and haven’t had any as of yet, fortunately. But, shopping for a Mini? Wow. I think there are way better EV options out there.

This time it is the cabin overheat protection not working again, first time was due to a voltage regulator failure in October last year along with driver seat restraint failure message. Not sure what's wrong with the mini other than the 4/5 star crash rating.

Trying to get them in order
1) drivers seat wiring harness failure
2)door handle sticking open
3)drivers seat back broke and fell off
4)charge port door magnet fallen off
5)stainless door trim dislodge
6) cabin overheat protection failure due to faulty voltage regulator
7)condenser fan failure
8)cabin overheat protection not working again
9)driver seat restraint system fault.

#6 Tesla would not fix and kept canceling appointments and I had an attorney lined up for a lemon law case. 3rd attempt to service car they actually looked at it and found the regulator fault.

Forgot #10 and 11, out of order
10) window triangle coming off
11) door was mis aligned and Tesla did not fix it, will need to do it myself or body shop fix.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte
Some of the things you describe #2,4,10,11 are minor issues and should’ve taken a couple hours at best to repair for all. I’ve had #4 and wouldn’t even call that a repair. Took mobile ranger less than a few minutes to take care of and hasn’t been an issue since. I hear your frustration with the other issues but were they ultimately fixed? If not, then definitely I’d be looking elsewhere as well.

As for the Mini, the range is 110 miles. Take about 30-40 miles off that during cold weather driving, rain, etc. For an around the town vehicle I guess it’s okay but there are better options out there, in terms of range, reliability, etc., especially at that price point. Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: Carolina Karl
Some of the things you describe #2,4,10,11 are minor issues and should’ve taken a couple hours at best to repair for all. I’ve had #4 and wouldn’t even call that a repair. Took mobile ranger less than a few minutes to take care of and hasn’t been an issue since. I hear your frustration with the other issues but were they ultimately fixed? If not, then definitely I’d be looking elsewhere as well.

As for the Mini, the range is 110 miles. Take about 30-40 miles off that during cold weather driving, rain, etc. For an around the town vehicle I guess it’s okay but there are better options out there, in terms of range, reliability, etc., especially at that price point. Good luck.
Agree, most are minor and the door is cosmetic only. The car has never left me stranded yet and again, really like the car overall. The poor service is what is making me look elsewhere. The mini range is plenty, we don't have cold weather in south Texas. I like 3 door cars, coupes, station wagons and vans. Out of all those categories only the mini is electric. The safety rating is what is keeping me away but it will be replacing a 3 door Yaris and an Edge, I'm sure the mini is somewhere in between the two in regards to crash worthy.

Why not just trade it in for a new Model Y or 3 instead?

The Mini EV is a joke--if you feel you must buy one, wait a few months and get it for half price as they WILL depreciate like a rock. No one will pay good money for a used Mini EV, except for you perhaps. Get it at half price.

Sort of like the Audi e-Tron can be had for >1/3 off after a few months too:

https://www.cars.com/shopping/audi-e_tron-2019/

There are "EV's" and then there are "Teslas." People want Teslas, not wannabe "EV's" from the legacy ICE brands. There's probably a story there about the "smart crowd" so I'd consider your sample size of "ONE" and consider making a more reasoned choice going forward based on such a small sample size.

...less than 2 years old is getting 8th and 9th repair (I hope) next week. Service has been poor on average and lately they just ignore texts and have had them cancel service appointments without even looking at the car. Will be shopping for a Mini next year instead of a Tesla.
Par for the course. Tesla service complaints abound. I wouldn't buy Tesla again either until they at the very least improve customer service (among other things). Cars are fun when they work through...

Which SC have you been going to for service work?

I picked up my at the I45 SC and have gone to the Westpark SC for work.
Houston North, once you arrive the service has been overall OK, they put a scuff in my center console when removing my seat, no big deal as its not a show car. The communication is the problem. 2018 service/sales was not great but seems to be getting worse every visit.

• Informative
Reactions: Avid
Agree, most are minor and the door is cosmetic only. The car has never left me stranded yet and again, really like the car overall. The poor service is what is making me look elsewhere. The mini range is plenty, we don't have cold weather in south Texas. I like 3 door cars, coupes, station wagons and vans. Out of all those categories only the mini is electric. The safety rating is what is keeping me away but it will be replacing a 3 door Yaris and an Edge, I'm sure the mini is somewhere in between the two in regards to crash worthy.
This is going to be heresy around here, but since you mentioned vans, I've got my eye on the supposedly 2022 VW ID Buzz.

By next year the MachE should be available and possible the Rivian amongst others. Assuming the automakers survive until then.

But you wont get the fantastic SuperCharger network :).
Still keeping the 3 I hope, love the car but if service keeps getting worse will sell it. Independent competent repair shops can't come soon enough. Rivian is out of our budget, camera watches driver, geofencing and Alexa puts Rivian out. Ford and GM same thing with the camera and made in Mexico. Don't like the VW seat belt lock and they are not on the market. Mini suits all our needs other than safety, KIA might have a decent car on the market next year but not my chosen form factor. Was hoping to buy a used 3 SR+ next year but service needs to be heading in the other direction.

OP --- just out of curiosity - what was the cost of your M3? What were the cars you had before the M3, and how did they compare in terms of quality/reliability? Fair questions right? Or am I going to get to banned again? ;-)