Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD non-performance HP and Torque?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found a linked awd dyno in my area and have an apt for next wed around 5pm est. Anyone in the Richmond VA area is welcome to come watch in person, just dm me for info. I plan to upload results shortly afterwards.

And some more good news! I was able to get the shop to throw in the air/fuel ratio monitoring for free!

Now for the tough question - what state of charge to start at? I was thinking 70% but open to discussions.

I'm happy to have my M3D dyno'd and share the results with all here. I can setup a go fund me. think the dyno runs in my area are about $100 for 3 runs. Let me know the interest and i'll do it!

Edit: setup go fundme: local shop said they can do it ASAP and interested to see results as well!
Click here to support Tesla organized by Scott Francis

• Love
Reactions: Swampgator
I found a linked awd dyno in my area and have an apt for next wed around 5pm est. Anyone in the Richmond VA area is welcome to come watch in person, just dm me for info. I plan to upload results shortly afterwards.

And some more good news! I was able to get the shop to throw in the air/fuel ratio monitoring for free!

Now for the tough question - what state of charge to start at? I was thinking 70% but open to discussions.

I would say 80 or 90. But just my 2 cents. Not sure if or how much it is coasting you but would be interesting to compare the performance drop as charge goes down and compare it to what we have already seen with the LR RWD dyno results at different SOC

I would recommend 90% SOC. Reference to this article, complete with dyno data ;) Mountain Pass Performance Tests Tesla Model 3 Power At Different States Of Charge (#CleanTechnica Exclusive) | CleanTechnica

Reactions: bd7349
-Possibly due to the extra grip provided by front motor then no TC kicks in meaning the acceleration is incredibly smooth with the AWD car.
Potentially a lot of this but you also get used to the acceleration because how you experience it seems to depend a lot on how you position your body, how you physically react to it, and also maybe the road slope. The first time I launched the AWD my vision swam. I was fighting just to have a sense of my surroundings and mostly only got a vague sense of the forward tunnel. :eek: I had had a short test drive of the RWD first so was very much not expecting this.

I've occasionally experienced this since but it's not the norm. It seems linked to two factors. First, if you are sloped slightly uphill and it drops, such as you see at some intersections where you are on the "minor" road crossing the "major" road. Second, if you don't position your head against the headrest but instead try to hold it in mid-air but aren't quite ready for it.

Basically if you can brace for it and keep your head steady a lot of the OMG OMG OMG sensation fades and soon you're "well get on with it already.....why again didn't I buy P?". :) It's still joyful but you can't really expect it. Really the launches aren't where it's at with the 3 anyway, it's the corners.

Last edited:
Ok, drum roll please........... the data is in, we ran a couple of runs of both the M3D and the M3D Performance and the comparison graphs are attached.
Also ran a run of both cars in Chill mode with very minimal deviation between the two. Both cars were close to 90% SOC and dropped to close to 80% by end of runs. Power output varied by less than 1% from 90% down to 80% on the runs, i.e. no loss of performance on the SOC drop at high level.

Vid of run: DSC_0212.MOV

Thanks @hoang51 for the long drive down for the P3D!

Attachments

• 2018 Tesla Model 3 with Performance Upgrade vs. Dual Motor Final.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 276
  • 2018 Tesla Model 3 with Performance Upgrade vs. Dual Motor2 Final.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 266
  • Scott Francis - 2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor Final.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 398
Last edited:
3C660407-ACD8-4265-AC2D-E3044CCBAC30.jpeg

So how does this compare to what we think we know about the P3D? These are slightly higher numbers than I expected to see.

Also, how did they come up with the RPM numbers? Speed over final drive ratio (if that’s a thing)? Does this mean the cars were taken to their respective max speeds?

Last edited:
Ok, drum roll please........... the data is in, we ran a couple of runs of both the M3D and the M3D Performance and the comparison graphs are attached.
Also ran a run of both cars in Chill mode with very minimal deviation between the two. Both cars were close to 90% SOC and dropped to close to 80% by end of runs. Power output varied by less than 1% from 90% down to 80% on the runs, i.e. no loss of performance on the SOC drop at high level.

Wow, so Performance unlocks 100 more hp and 100 more lb-ft of torque!

Also interesting that Chill mode basically reduces power by 50%

Interesting. You can see how straight M3D is software limited as evidenced by the flat tops of both power and torque curves. Performance is peaked on both power and torque.

Thanks for doing this guys!! Really awesome to see both side by side like this. I am surprised to see ~100 more of both power and torque for performance model.

Reactions: diamond.g
View attachment 356752
So how does this compare to what we think we know about the P3D? These are slightly higher numbers than I expected to see.

Also, how did they come up with the RPM numbers? Speed over final drive ratio (if that’s a thing)? Does this mean the cars were taken to their respective max speeds?
Ignore RPM it wasn't used and isn't relevant. Cars were run to about 110 to 120 when power started to drop off, the bottom x axis is actually speed missing the last zero.

Last edited:
Reactions: spesler
Interesting. You can see how straight M3D is software limited as evidenced by the flat tops of both power and torque curves. Performance is peaked on both power and torque.

Thanks for doing this guys!! Really awesome to see both side by side like this. I am surprised to see ~100 more of both power and torque for performance model.
Yes I was thinking the same thing with software limiting, you can see how it matches the Chill mode runs as well in terms of curve. Guess it takes that 100 extra to get the 1s 0-60 difference for our heavy cars.

Reactions: cdeleo