Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD or RWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love to hear from people here in the uk in whether they have opted for AWD or RWD on their model 3 orders.

I’m not sure which one to go for. We live in the country side and it’s full of hills - and we do get a quite a bit of frost.

Decisions decisions....

My MS is RWD, and I have regretted not getting AWD ever since. However, this is only due my heavy left foot. For everyday driving the RWD manages all the UK weather with ease. I'm sure the M3 will be just as good.
So if you're not too bothered by 0-60 times, then the RWD model should do you.

No and I don't think it's coming either. Sales adviser said it's just what on the tesla site nothing else being offered.

Just spoke to Tesla UK (it was an American adviser thought) and asked the same question about the "offline" options, specifically LR RWD. I was told that they were not currently available in the UK but would likely be by Q4. She went further to say that they were soon to be made available to European customers as an offline option. I asked how one would go about finding out when they were available given that it will be an offline option and therefore not easy to check on (unless you phone your local showroom every week). She said that there would be an announcement made.

Hopefully this is all correct but personally i'm not convinced. My feeling is that they want to drop these options completely from there range in due course as there simply not profitable, or as profitable as the higher spec models. I guess they might change there minds though if demand for the current 3 options reduces or there production streamlines sufficiently for these models to yield more profit.

Overall really disappointed as i had thought that the car price would come in cheaper, post Government Incentives. £38k post the incentives is steep considering its only $31k in the US for the RWD Partial Premium online base model.

There is no delete button

Edit (and DELETE I think) are limited to about 5 minutes after you make the post.

Hopefully this is all correct but personally i'm not convinced.

Likely correct, particularly for anything that already exists in USA, except that the timing might be anything at all - from tomorrow to never. There is no Model Year for Tesla, they introduce features and marketing "demand levers" with no warning.

i had thought that the car price would come in cheaper,

Seller's market just now ... if you want a good price, and are not in a hurry, I reckon waiting will work for you - but not if the Pound slides ...

Reactions: Rhian
My wife and I have RWD and AWD here in the States.

We need one AWD for winter mountain driving (heavy snows in our state and aggressive tyre chain requirements for non-AWD).

However, the RWD version gives us noticeably better real-world range (probably 30 miles or so), and we thus use it for summer road trips. Then again, our summers are virtually rainless.

For use in the UK ... tough call. Would probably go with AWD given the frequency of damp roadways and accept the slightly reduced range.

AWD if You can afford it.
No wheelspin whatsoever.

You seem to infer that the RWD will wheel spin? That's the traction control. On a video earlier in winter, a gentleman too a RWD out in the snow of a parking lot. He really couldn't get it to spin in the parking lot, no matter how hard he tried. From a sitting position, he floored it, the car just slowly starting moving with no wheel spin in a RWD.

That's traction control, not AWD.

AWD
Better grip, tyre wear, and stronger regenerative braking.
On my MS, It's hard to get the tyres to lose traction even when flooring the accelerator on wet greasy roads.
The car just feels more sure footed compared to the RWD loaners that I've driven.