Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD vs RWD vs FWD

What's your M3 drivetrain preference?

• AWD

Votes: 75 62.0%
  • RWD

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • FWD

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • undecided

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People seem buy AWD cars when the base model counterpart is only available in RWD and they don't want to buy snow tires. (i.e. BMW, Mercedes sedans). Its billed as a substitute for buying proper snow tires in areas that get mild to moderate winters. More often than not its the AWD/All Season Tire crowd that is in a ditch when the weather gets bad - especially SUVs. There seems to be a lack of understanding that AWD doesn't help you stop or turn if you don't have mechanical grip. People get over confident due to AWD and bad things happen. Personally I'd take RWD with proper tires over AWD or FWD with all season tires. Especially because and ICE AWD cars usually have a significant fuel economy penalty over the 2wd version.

From a handling standpoint people seem to prefer understeer (FWD) to oversteer (RWD), but I'm not sure why. I guess they like to slide straight into a tree vs sliding sideways into one. :) If I lived in a place that really required AWD because of deep snow or off road driving I'd get an SUV. But then it would also be the ground clearance that helped.

People seem buy AWD cars when the base model counterpart is only available in RWD and they don't want to buy snow tires. (i.e. BMW, Mercedes sedans). Its billed as a substitute for buying proper snow tires in areas that get mild to moderate winters. More often than not its the AWD/All Season Tire crowd that is in a ditch when the weather gets bad - especially SUVs. There seems to be a lack of understanding that AWD doesn't help you stop or turn if you don't have mechanical grip. People get over confident due to AWD and bad things happen. Personally I'd take RWD with proper tires over AWD or FWD with all season tires.

Totally agree. But with EVs there is a new aspect added on summer roads:
If we think about the ridiculous amounts of useful power that you can truly enjoy whenever you want, without disturbing anybody else, Model S really is in a class of its own relative to luxury gas cars. Breaking the rear tires free several times a day on dry tarmac gets a bit old after a while though, while the quiet, instant and ultra controllable acceleration never gets old. That's when you start to wish for AWD.

Totally agree. But with EVs there is a new aspect added on summer roads:
If we think about the ridiculous amounts of useful power that you can truly enjoy whenever you want, without disturbing anybody else, Model S really is in a class of its own relative to luxury gas cars. Breaking the rear tires free several times a day on dry tarmac gets a bit old after a while though, while the quiet, instant and ultra controllable acceleration never gets old. That's when you start to wish for AWD.

Yeah agreed. At certain levels of hp and torque you need more than two wheels putting down power, even in dry conditions. I'd expect even base model S to spin its tires with the stock all seasons if you really gun it. I could chirp the all season tires on a 335i very easily with 300hp and 300 lb-ft. Sticky summer tires on the P versions of the Model S probably help a lot with the given 600+ hp and torque from 0 rpm.