Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awesome autopilot in BC!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting, we live in Squamish, so drive the sea to sky all the time. Don't have our model 3 yet but had read that the autopilot didnt handle the sea to sky very well due to it being such a twisty road. Mostly comments about it coming into corners with too much speed. You didnt experience that?

Interesting, we live in Squamish, so drive the sea to sky all the time. Don't have our model 3 yet but had read that the autopilot didnt handle the sea to sky very well due to it being such a twisty road. Mostly comments about it coming into corners with too much speed. You didnt experience that?
Autopilot lane holding has been steadily improving, dramatically so on corners like that. It still slows more on corners than I would but it has gotten pretty good even on 90's and slightly above. I've not got much local here to test for hairpins/switchbacks, though.

How old was that report?

Autopilot lane holding has been steadily improving, dramatically so on corners like that. It still slows more on corners than I would but it has gotten pretty good even on 90's and slightly above. I've not got much local here to test for hairpins/switchbacks, though.

How old was that report?

At least a year old so I imagine things have gotten better now. That same report also said autopilot/EAP wasn't really worth it in this area due to the large amount of rain we get and the cameras not working well in the rain. Not sure if that has gotten better too?

At least a year old so I imagine things have gotten better now.
Night and day. I've seen huge improvements myself and I took delivery only last autumn.

As for rain, Gulf Coast downpours on Interstate with so much traffic that you get that secondary mist wall form and I saw no issues. Well I had a very hard time making out the markings, a lot of the time I was just following lights and using retaining walls and ditches as landmarks to judge how well the car was doing.

P.S. Could be problematic for heavy snow conditions, I think people have reported wet snow building up enough over the sensors to create issues?

Night and day. I've seen huge improvements myself and I took delivery only last autumn.

As for rain, Gulf Coast downpours on Interstate with so much traffic that you get that secondary mist wall form and I saw no issues. Well I had a very hard time making out the markings, a lot of the time I was just following lights and using retaining walls and ditches as landmarks to judge how well the car was doing.

P.S. Could be problematic for heavy snow conditions, I think people have reported wet snow building up enough over the sensors to create issues?

This was my first real test of EA so I drove about 10 km/h under limit. I found it a tad unnerving going the speed limit with EA. As i grow to trust it more I will increase speed. Best benefit was seei g the road llines during heavy fog and having car react automaticly slowing to cars up ahead

QC Brother here... I normally EAP at 120km/h

Montreal-Sherbrooke (Aut 10) : easy peasy - I have EAPed in pouring / blinding rain at night and all it took was going 90 km/h.

Montreal-Quebec City (Aut 20) : nothing to it.

I don't think rain is an issue anymore (if you are willing to drop cruise speed).

Snow is another issue : losing left / right lines to snow banks makes Autopilot hesitant / confused. On well plowed roads : zero problem.

Winter issues : ice / crap accumulating on the sensors... I call the "Autopilot sensor unavaible" my "go wash your car" notification :)

Extremely happen EAP owner with 23k km logged

Reactions: SammichLover

AP keeps getting better. When we got our first Model 3 in May 2018 it was very questionable on curvy roads. Now it handles them a lot more competently. I use it on Mount Baker Highway and it's surprisingly good considering the road is more twisty and not nearly up to the standard of Sea to Sky Highway. Near the alpine portion of Baker Highway, the painted lines go away and it tries to keep on going! But with no lines, it really doesn't work well enough to be practical. You have to give it an A+ for trying though! It's also improved in low visibility. I'm amazed how well it does on a dark rainy night with faded lane markers.

Reactions: longshot49
This was my first real test of EA so I drove about 10 km/h under limit. I found it a tad unnerving going the speed limit with EA. As i grow to trust it more I will increase speed. Best benefit was seei g the road llines during heavy fog and having car react automaticly slowing to cars up ahead

This is exactly what I was thinking when people said they went to fast in the corners with eap on. If you set it to the speed limit rather than the sea to sky's usual straight line Larry's 140kph between corners it would probably do just fine.

Anyone else notice the speed limit is wrong for much of the sea to sky highway? This must be one of the most popular supercharger routes.

specifically it thinks much of the drive past lions bay is still 60km. This makes a large percentage of autopilot unusable.

Is this something one should report to Tesla? Google maps?

I have hw 2.0 for what it’s worth. Loving autopilot and witnessing its little baby steps every month.

How old was that report?
I did this drive forward and back in perfectly clear conditions in late September this year. Whatever the FW version was immediately before V10 (I got V10 the night after I came back) and it was not great on this road. It takes turns far too wide and is extremely concerning going over the lines and getting very close to the physical barriers.

This is exactly what I was thinking when people said they went to fast in the corners with eap on. If you set it to the speed limit rather than the sea to sky's usual straight line Larry's 140kph between corners it would probably do just fine.

I did this anywhere from just under the speed limit to 5-10 over and got pretty much the same results, it gets too close to the outside on curves.