Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awkward time to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am pretty much set in picking up a Performance Model 3, but feel as though buying right now is an awkward time. Anyone else feel the same? For example:

- If I were to order now, I highly doubt I get the car before December, so you won't get the $1,875 federal tax credit. So then do we anticipate Tesla do something about that come Jan 2020 like they did with the last tax credit decrease (e.g. price decrease, offer free supercharging or FSD or premium connectivity, etc.)

- With the release of the acceleration boost option, could one be coming for the Performance Model 3? If yes, will they just increase the base price of the car and have that included or will prices stay same and you'd do an additional purchase?

I don't know, so many things going through my head. I can't be the only one...can I? hah.

I am pretty much set in picking up a Performance Model 3, but feel as though buying right now is an awkward time. Anyone else feel the same? For example:

- If I were to order now, I highly doubt I get the car before December, so you won't get the $1,875 federal tax credit. So then do we anticipate Tesla do something about that come Jan 2020 like they did with the last tax credit decrease (e.g. price decrease, offer free supercharging or FSD or premium connectivity, etc.)

- With the release of the acceleration boost option, could one be coming for the Performance Model 3? If yes, will they just increase the base price of the car and have that included or will prices stay same and you'd do an additional purchase?

I don't know, so many things going through my head. I can't be the only one...can I? hah.

You are definitely not the only one!

I doubt that price is going to change. I'm not even hearing great incentives for the end of quarter.
There could be cars in inventory, a friend ordered one yesterday in inventory.

You can wait and order, could be a price hike, could be a decrease, could be a feature change, but every day you wait is another day that you won't have one.

Just like computers, if you wait until the bigger and better, you will have been waiting over 40 years.

Reactions: ZappCatt
I was going to wait until Spring 2020 (after taxes ugh). But, the more I started thinking about that $1875, the more I considered pulling the trigger. My Tesla rep found my the exact-spec M3P I was looking fo with ~150miles for $1K off (a 2019 model) so I pulled the trigger.

Yesterday I get a call that the 2019 model had hail damage, but they found me a 2020. Lost the $1K discount, however.

In the long run, I think I came out OK. When I was considering the 2019 model, I emailed Tesla and asked them about the production date so I could confirm it had HW3.0. Ironically, today Tesla emailed me back and said the original car is a March production. Too risky for me with no guarantee of HW 3.0, so I'm gonna be good with this new 2020.

Delivery scheduled for 12/29, but I'm hoping I can get that bumped up.

So in summary, if you can find the spec you like locally, I think it makes sense to take delivery by EOY. Yeah, there's a chance of a price drop in 2020, but a bird in the hand...

I ordered 12/6 and was given the option of sticking with long range awd and risking not making 12/31, or upgrading to an inventory stealth performance for $2k more (other options the same) and guaranteeing delivery before 12/31. I picked up my stealth yesterday (12/18) and love it. And it looks like it was built 12/2019 anyway according to the door sticker. Put over 200 miles on it yesterday and today, and couldn't be happier. So you might have a good shot at delivery before 12/31 if they can find an inventory car that fits.

I would place your order now. If they can’t deliver what you want by year end and you miss the tax credit just cancel and reevaluate next year. But they are not expected to produce cars for North America next year until around end of February, which means March deliveries. And there are State and utility rebates still available next year, so the lack of the $1,875 Federal tax credit will hardly make a dent in anyone’s purchasing decision next year. I don’t see any benefit in not ordering and trying to get an end of year delivery.

If you can get a stealth (I hear they may be sold out but who knows) even better.

OP, I got an email today from tesla talking about (paraphrasing) "check out our cars in inventory, buy now!". I already have a model 3 and tesla installed solar, and my powerwalls are coming Jan 6th, so figure its likely they sent every tesla owner the same email.

They might have something in stock you could take now (with "now" being before the end of the year). Ignore the stories of people waiting since Early October. Due to teslas logistics, they did not start delivering to anyone in CA this quarter until roughly the beginning of December. You could very well take delivery of a Model 3P before the end of the year, if you go down to tesla store, tell one of the reps there what you want, and ask them to find it for you. Very likely in fact since you are fairly close to the factory.

If you DONT get one "now" but instead wait until the 2nd week of January, lets say, you will likely not get your car until the end of March, due to the same logistics.

OP, I got an email today from tesla talking about (paraphrasing) "check out our cars in inventory, buy now!". I already have a model 3 and tesla installed solar, and my powerwalls are coming Jan 6th, so figure its likely they sent every tesla owner the same email.

They might have something in stock you could take now (with "now" being before the end of the year). Ignore the stories of people waiting since Early October. Due to teslas logistics, they did not start delivering to anyone in CA this quarter until roughly the beginning of December. You could very well take delivery of a Model 3P before the end of the year, if you go down to tesla store, tell one of the reps there what you want, and ask them to find it for you. Very likely in fact since you are fairly close to the factory.

If you DONT get one "now" but instead wait until the 2nd week of January, lets say, you will likely not get your car until the end of March, due to the same logistics.

I have asked 3 reps to keep an eye out for me. Is the Tesla Inventory that I see on their website what the reps can see or are they able to see more? I check that inventory every morning. If I see a car that matches what I want, I'm buying it.

I have asked 3 reps to keep an eye out for me. Is the Tesla Inventory that I see on their website what the reps can see or are they able to see more? I check that inventory every morning. If I see a car that matches what I want, I'm buying it.

They can see more than we do, from all accounts here and what I was told when I asked last year when I was buying mine.

They can see more than we do, from all accounts here and what I was told when I asked last year when I was buying mine.

While they can see more, I was advised today by a Tesla sales rep that cars shown in inventory are not necessarily on the ground and may therefore you may not be able to take delivery in time for the new year. She said you have to talk to the store directly to see what they have on the lot.

While they can see more, I was advised today by a Tesla sales rep that cars shown in inventory are not necessarily on the ground and may therefore you may not be able to take delivery in time for the new year. She said you have to talk to the store directly to see what they have on the lot.

Thats true.... but this OP is in Northern California, so has the best chance of getting a car that is "due to be inventory" by the end of the year, even if its not on the ground yet. In your case, in Texas, it has to actually BE there on a lot because they are not going to be able to get it to a lot logistically before then.

This is one of the big reasons CA has been last in scheduled deliveries for ordered cars... because the closer you get to the factory, the easier it gets for them to get you something last minute.

When is the full amount of the car due if I place an order now?

Basically, I'm thinking of just placing the order. If I get lucky and find a car in inventory to take delivery by December, then I cancel my order and just lose $100 right?

If I can't find anything in December and something gets announced in January to offset the tax credit going away (e.g. price lowered, free supercharging, etc.) and I still don't have my car, I can just cancel my order and re-order?

All in all, I'd be out $100 if I cancel my order correct?

When is the full amount of the car due if I place an order now?

Basically, I'm thinking of just placing the order. If I get lucky and find a car in inventory to take delivery by December, then I cancel my order and just lose $100 right?

If I can't find anything in December and something gets announced in January to offset the tax credit going away (e.g. price lowered, free supercharging, etc.) and I still don't have my car, I can just cancel my order and re-order?

All in all, I'd be out $100 if I cancel my order correct?

That sounds correct to me, but I would verify it with a tesla salesperson. One thing I would NOT do in your case, is simply place a web order. I would go down to a store and talk to one of the SAs there, as if you were buying a car at a regular dealership. You will need someone who is going to actively help you find a car. Even though when you order in a store, they simply walk you over to a computer to order, the person helping you then assigns your order to themselves for management, and you have the name of someone who is actively helping you.

i heard if you cancel an order Telsa wont let you get the same model for a year

Its "Take delivery of" not "order". So, if you take delivery of a car, then return it within the 7 day return period AFTER taking delivery, at that point, you may not order the same trim level of the same model.

If you heard something other than that, its either incorrect, or new information.