Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

B Pillar camera condensation revisited

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pgkevet

Jul 1, 2019
mid wales
2018 S
Ranger came out today to replace a warranty headlight and I asked him if there was anything new to deal with the condensation issue. Apparently there have been camera improvements over time but it still tends to be an issue. He thought my car would have the recent style of camera but did check and was able to remove the mesh from the vent which can improve flow from the cabin. Perhaps a consideration for other models of that vintage and earlier. I'll have to wait for winter to see if it helps.
Nice friendly helpful chap.

2018 S
Ranger came out today to replace a warranty headlight and I asked him if there was anything new to deal with the condensation issue. Apparently there have been camera improvements over time but it still tends to be an issue. He thought my car would have the recent style of camera but did check and was able to remove the mesh from the vent which can improve flow from the cabin. Perhaps a consideration for other models of that vintage and earlier. I'll have to wait for winter to see if it helps.
Nice friendly helpful chap.

hmm, I will be interested in your feedback. The mesh is likely to be a Goretex patch that is intended to reduce the likelihood of condensation. The removal may allow more air flow from the cabin but if that air is warm and moist and then comes into contact with the chilled surface of the B pillar glass in front of the camera condensation may form even more readily. I suppose it's possible that it may then clear more quickly with plenty of dry warm air but you'll soon find out as we get into the colder weather. (The solution for condensation for the rear light units is for them to be to be well sealed around the seams but with the Goretex patch in place.)

hmm, I will be interested in your feedback. The mesh is likely to be a Goretex patch that is intended to reduce the likelihood of condensation. The removal may allow more air flow from the cabin but if that air is warm and moist and then comes into contact with the chilled surface of the B pillar glass in front of the camera condensation may form even more readily. I suppose it's possible that it may then clear more quickly with plenty of dry warm air but you'll soon find out as we get into the colder weather. (The solution for condensation for the rear light units is for them to be to be well sealed around the seams but with the Goretex patch in place.)
The idea of the Gore-tex is to allow moisture to escape but prevent it going in but ranger stated that insufficient airflow stops that working well. Also advises preconditioning the car in such weather. We'll see but prior winters I've had condensation for 30mins plus with heaters on so got to try something unless they upgrade to heated pillars.
Hopefully the revised headlights last longer too..

The idea of the Gore-tex is to allow moisture to escape but prevent it going in but ranger stated that insufficient airflow stops that working well.

If the units are completely sealed and the only breathing that takes place is through the Goretex patch there should be no opportunity for moisture to get in there. I suspect that just like the other light units with condensation problems it comes down to poor sealing. The Tesla techs may have discovered that removing the patches improves things but I'm finding it hard to see that this is a real solution. Hopefully I am completely wrong and the patch removal turns out to be the answer!

If the units are completely sealed and the only breathing that takes place is through the Goretex patch there should be no opportunity for moisture to get in there. I suspect that just like the other light units with condensation problems it comes down to poor sealing. The Tesla techs may have discovered that removing the patches improves things but I'm finding it hard to see that this is a real solution. Hopefully I am completely wrong and the patch removal turns out to be the answer!
Dunno if Goretex is one way only or high to low moisture. If latter then sealing isn't enough if a patch is there unless the sealed area has enough heat to push higher vapour pressure through. Perhaps they've found that removal allows better removal than wicking over the surface. We'll see this winter but ranger seemed a brighter lad then just a tick box merchant.

Reactions: Adopado