Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera Condensation on Pillars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And Elon being Elon he must be right and everyone else is wrong.
Not another thread with the same conclusion of Elon bashing and whatever is wrong with Tesla is because of Elon! It doesn’t have to be that way. There are so many reasons - including Elon’s Hardon for AI - why some of the complex engineering solutions/parts are not carried on to Tesla.

Model 3 is not any other car - it is like Ford Model T - changed automobile industry forever and with that changed the way people commute. It has its quirks, not perfect in any sense. And then more flaws (you can include whatever you want) but as a car it questioned other car makers to rethink their approach towards car making and in particular EVs. That’s not something all those 1820s companies did for the last 50 years! Elon has some part in it.

I always drive with it on auto so the humidity is controlled - the interior cabin space isn’t condensing only the camera void. It was a 1 hour drive so had plenty of time to circulate…
This is perhaps an issue then, and I would raise it to Tesla. I've seen posts here before where the ventilation to the camera hasn't been sufficient to allow it to clear when the windows clear and service have repositioned 'stuff' and sorted it. I've not had an issue with misting for the pillar camera in either Model 3 I've had.

Reactions: Pandinium
My 2016 MX pillar camera just began showing inside condensation, so while driving the FSD pops off with an error warning. There is no condensation visible in the garage in the morning, but 5 minutes into a drive in misty weather it happens. I have a service call out to review the situation. Is there a remedy for this??

Thx! -- JC, San Diego, CA, USA

Attachments

• PassengerDoorPillarCamera.jpg
    PassengerDoorPillarCamera.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 77
If only there was some sort of alternative, that worked when the sun is shining, or it is foggy, or a car has its lights directed at you.....

Well what do we we do with our eyes? We wear sun shades etc.

I think pulling USS before TV was ready was an a hole move. I also think more cameras are needed, or primarily to cover the front bumper view, as well as better ways to clean the cameras like other manufacturers others. Also better protection from water egress

But.. I think TV can work as it’s the only proven way to drive properly…also don’t think the computer processes the feed differently to the human eye so is less sensitive to light etc

Yep. Last 10 days driving, left/right cameras don't work properly because of condensation. Try to pull in after an overtake on autopilot? Just make a fool of myself lurching all over the motorway or stay in the fast lane annoying people wanting to overtake, I am fed up with this.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Codensation every winter like clockwork. Clears after 20 miles. …mostly.

It’s like the common cold. No cure!
Heated B pillars would probably do the trick. I very briefly looked into the idea of fitting a small heating pad, powered off the camera power feed, but didn’t take it any further.

I’ve heard it said that climate sorts the condensation after a while, that’s why they removed the Gortex patch etc. I’m my experience it doesn’t clear in a reasonable timeframe.

It’s just one of those design flaws that Tesla aren’t interested in fixing because it would eat into their margins.

Reactions: CWT3LR and pgkevet
Well what do we we do with our eyes? We wear sun shades etc.

I think pulling USS before TV was ready was an a hole move. I also think more cameras are needed, or primarily to cover the front bumper view, as well as better ways to clean the cameras like other manufacturers others. Also better protection from water egress

But.. I think TV can work as it’s the only proven way to drive properly…also don’t think the computer processes the feed differently to the human eye so is less sensitive to light etc
Bats can "see" in the dark with echolocation. Snakes can "see" using taste, and infrared detection. Seagulls can "see" by sensing microtremors. Geckoes can "see" in light 1/350th of the intensity that humans can see in. Tesla decides it wants to use cameras that can't see in mild mist, a bit of condensation, or a low sun.

World's cleverest engineers working for the world's cheapest boss.

Reactions: yessuz