Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Baby Car Seat compatability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I just wanted to post my experience with purchasing a compatible car seat for our baby to go in our Tesla model S 2020 in the UK.

We decided to go for the Silver Cross 360 with ISO Fix. The manufacturer mentions in the documentation that the model S is compatible with their seats. Unfortunately in reality this does not appear to be true.

We love our Model S but we found it challenging finding a compatible baby car seat that met our requirements. When looking for a baby car seat you need to take into consideration the height between the car seat and the car's floor. A lot of baby car seats come with a support leg. Most of the car seats out there will not fit the Tesla model S because the support leg is taller than the distance between the car seat and the floor. The result is a baby car seat that doesn't make any contact with the car seat and is essentially floating, which can be VERY DANGEROUS (according to the John Lewis staff) for the child.

We confirmed the issue with John Lewis stuff who were already aware that Tesla cars are a bit of a nightmare in UK with baby car seats.

We managed to fit the John Lewis and Partners baby car seat as it was one of the only ones with a short enough support leg to properly fit safely in the car.

I mainly blame Silver Cross and other manufacturers for not properly testing their baby car seats and just marking them as compatible just because the car has ISO fix. I have contacted Silver Cross in regards to the problems we were experiencing.

Another blocker you might have with a child's seat or booster later on in a Tesla model S is that the booster or car seat might not fit because the head rest of the car seat is fixed which could prevent the adjustable headrest of the booster seat from being raised up to its maximum height. The John Lewis seat again was compatible with the headrests allowing the booster seat headrest to be raised to the maximum without interference.

I hope this helps some Tesla model S owner out there choosing the right seat for their little ones.

Regards
Malvinakatos